FactSet

Updated Feb 14, 2014

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley

Philip A. Hadley

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company to work for and grow with

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompetitive salary. EXCELLENT benefits package. Very accommodating hours (when appropriate). Many very skilled, intelligent and pleasant co-workers. Heavy emphasis on training and development; if you don't have a skill, but you wish to develop it, you can find resources at FactSet. If you are good at what you do you will succeed here.

ConsAs with any software company, we are often asked to fulfill certain tasks without being given the proper bandwidth and time to complete them at an acceptable level. For instance, while it's nice for developers to be able to take their computers home, the fact is that the laptops given to developers often strain at having developer environments for multiple languages, the compiled versions of our product, Outlook, and two instances of Excel open at once (this is not an unusual combination of programs that need to be open at a given time). Also, there is often a tendency to break away from the stated op plan and go chasing after relatively minor accomplishments. This doesn't strike me as happening much more than it would at another company, though.

No place to make money. The carrot is $65 an hour. The reality is its less than minimum wage.

Associate Editor (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at FactSet part-time for less than a year

Proswork at home, part time. It is a publicly held company

Constheir schedule requires one to wait for an upcoming report. Lots of waiting,down time.

Advice to Senior Managementmore cordial contact with associates is needed.

OK company, but much of success has been due to lack of good competition.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at FactSet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros(1) Good view from window.
(2) Work is interesting.
(3) Internal IT staff is excellent.
(4) OK place for a recent grad to get started.

Cons(1) Training classes (of mostly kids out of college) promotes a very cliquey environment. If you were not on a track that went through this training, you felt left out.
(2) Seems like more than half of ones time was preparing for meetings, attending meetings and scheduling follow up meetings. Meetings are such a part of the culture that there is much attention given to 'Facilitators' whose job it is to keep the meetings moving. It's great that they're there, but scary that they're needed.
(3) Annual reviews use a '360 Review Process' . It's great that the opinions of one's peers are included, but it seems to be at the expense of one's accomplishments. Peers are invariably biased; too often petty differences are aired. There is SO much pressure not to rock the boat.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some senior management from outside the company. There are layers and layers of middle management that should be cleared out but the existing home-grown executives seem reluctant to clean house.

Great company with great opportunities for advancement

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than a year

ProsCoworkers, Good Hours, Industry Exposure, Competitive Pay

ConsOffice Maturity, Prestige, Groupthink, Menial work at times

Advice to Senior ManagementFactSet is in a great position to take market share from their competitors. At a certain point however, engineers and product development need to focus speed and stability over bell and whistles.

Good, laid back, a bit of mis-management

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for less than a year

Prosfood, work, take initiative, management

Consless interesting projects, upper management not good.

Great company, good people, good benefits!

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat People, good lunch and health benefits.

ConsRoom for advancement can be limited at times.

Good, but far from great

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth insurance is outstanding, free lunch (~$8) monday - thursday, decent pay although a bit low. I would only recomend this place to a friend because of the health insurance.

ConsAlmost no vertical movement available, severe micro-management by director-level people, annual review system makes no sense at all and almost everyone hates it with a passion yet HR will not change it, no path for complaints without real fear of retaliation and backlash. Also, FactSet does NOT PAY the FEDERALLY MANDATED reimbursement for 24-hour on-call rotations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead federal and state labor laws. Provide more opportunity for current employees or watch them go elsewhere.

Great place to launch a career, but long term opportunities here are questionable

Assistant Vice President of Key Accounts (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet

ProsOn-site exposure to investment management professionals, opportunity to build network of relationships in buyside space, access to resources to learn about finance and financial markets, great training for new employees, benefits are exceptional

ConsThe promotion system is a mystery. At times it seems someone reaches into a bag and draws a name to decide who gets promoted. Some Consultants move up after a year, whereas some have been Consultants for more than three years. Seemingly no pattern to this. Also, a Consultant's skill set surpasses that of management in terms of ability to support clients very quickly. At that point if you don't have a clear vision of where your career is going, and make that known, you will be stuck in one place. You have to be extremely self-motivated to establish a long term career here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow our clients. Know our jobs. Ask questions.

Unclear promotional structure

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at FactSet

ProsGreat benefits, young work environment, good life/work ratio.

ConsThe corporate structure needs to be overhauled to provide more opportunities for consultants to progress within the company. As it stands now, consultants are pigeon holed with current accounts and receive promotions by being in the right place at the right time. There is very little communication from management about future opportunities or professional coaching to retain top performing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication about management changes and potential career paths.

Fun at first, but problems with management

I have been working at FactSet

Pros-Young, fun employees
-Decent pay, especially out of college
-Oppotunity for promotion

Cons-Review system designed to discourage confidence
-Severe lack of communication between consultants and management

Advice to Senior Management-Tell us what we are supposed to do!

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FactSet CEO Philip A. Hadley. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees.