Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated 28 September, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well (in 80 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

341 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I need to go back.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Great snacks
    - Micro kitchen perks
    - Amazing weather
    - Great community building
    - Lots of networking opportunities
    - Feeling of family
    - Laid back vibe

Cons

- Waking up every morning to ride the shuttle
    - Being a hs student meaning not being able to go to the gym
    - Not being a part of the q&as with mark

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

A lot of work but very engaging

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A dynamic place to work with a lot of smart people. People very willing to help each other out and collaborate. Great perks and the opportunity to have a say for.

Cons

Work life balance is very out of whack. You have to work a lot of hours, but more importantly this doesn't seem to make people much more productive.

Figure out ways to make the engineering workload easier, or figure out how to harness people's extra working hours in a productive way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very open, fluid, fast-paced.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There is a high degree of freedom to work on projects you're passionate about. The development cycle is very fast, with a very efficient and fluid deployment system. Great perks, and plenty of conventions and company events to go to. Opportunities to learn new technologies through professional development programs. You better be at the top of your game, everyone is incredibly smart and talented.

Cons

Due to the nature of the open, "hacker" culture, there is a lack of ownership, and a drive to come up with a working solution as fast as possible (i.e. a "hack"). This leads to a patchwork-like infrastructure, with each component "tacked" onto the existing framework, and old components taken out due to a lack of maintenance. Picture a custom-built hand-tuned muscle car, periodically upgraded with individual state-of-the-art components, as opposed to a sleek new Lamborghini.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's so inspiring to work with so many professional and smart people in such a free atmosphere. Every project you're working on is both challenging and interesting.

Cons

Basically I find it hard to complain about Facebook. Although I heard someone complained about the work/life balance, I really feel at ease about it and it depends on the team you're working on.

Great Company

Current Employee - Ads  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Ads in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of freedom. Ability to learn so much.

Cons

Too much food can be a distraction, but a good one.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Very fast-paced, lots of impact.

Current Employee - Communications  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

The fact that Facebook's product touches 1.3 BILLION people on a monthly basis is incredible. To support a community this large, everyone who works at Facebook must be willing to act fast, and often take risk. You are given a lot of autonomy in your role; however, FB is also surprisingly collaborative. I have never worked at a company where literally everyone I work with is equally as smart and hard-working across the board.

Cons

There are tons of resources for training and leadership here, but often not enough time to take advantage of everything that is offered.

I find the most successful managers are those who encourage their employees to take advantage of what is offered to every FB employee. Taking vacation is important, as is parental leave. Our leadership team does a great job of taking time off and encouraging others at the company to do the same.

Good food, great work culture

Current Employee - Temporary Worker  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Micro kitchens have a good nice variety

- Awesome food choices around the campus during lunch and dinner times.

- Very good work environment, in terms of getting tech equipments that make you work more efficiently and comfortable.

- Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well.

- Community Operations management is nice. As long as you get your work done and don't slack off, the work environment is enjoyable.

Cons

- Discrimination between permanent employees vs. temporary employees.

- Long commute to work

Make sure temporary workers feel just as important as permanent employees (ex. include them in activities).
    You never know where they will end up in their career, so it will pay off in the long run if you are nice to them earlier on.

"It is nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. Treat others how you want to be treated."

Developer Operations Analyst

Current Employee - Developer Operations Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer Operations Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I look forward to getting up in the morning and coming in to work with friends!

Cons

The commute from San Francisco. (not really a company thing)

Stay awesome! Provide opportunities for people to learn more (i.e. classes)

Fun and impactful

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fast moving company culture
    Fun, hard-working, and smart employees
    Great perks/competitive compensation
    Work on a product that billions of people use
    Company has a variety of technical issues they have to tackle, and that you can work on
    Meritocracy; evaluated based on impact, not how much your manager likes you.

Cons

Takes a while to get familiar with the code base due to some of their unique technologies, tools, and sheer size of their code base.
    Code documentation could be better.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!