Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated 14 October, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

345 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.

I need to go back.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great snacks
    - Micro kitchen perks
    - Amazing weather
    - Great community building
    - Lots of networking opportunities
    - Feeling of family
    - Laid back vibe

Cons

- Waking up every morning to ride the shuttle
    - Being a hs student meaning not being able to go to the gym
    - Not being a part of the q&as with mark

Good food, great work culture

Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Micro kitchens have a good nice variety

- Awesome food choices around the campus during lunch and dinner times.

- Very good work environment, in terms of getting tech equipments that make you work more efficiently and comfortable.

- Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well.

- Community Operations management is nice. As long as you get your work done and don't slack off, the work environment is enjoyable.

Cons

- Discrimination between permanent employees vs. temporary employees.

- Long commute to work

Make sure temporary workers feel just as important as permanent employees (ex. include them in activities).
    You never know where they will end up in their career, so it will pay off in the long run if you are nice to them earlier on.

"It is nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. Treat others how you want to be treated."

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

Very open, fluid, fast-paced.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a high degree of freedom to work on projects you're passionate about. The development cycle is very fast, with a very efficient and fluid deployment system. Great perks, and plenty of conventions and company events to go to. Opportunities to learn new technologies through professional development programs. You better be at the top of your game, everyone is incredibly smart and talented.

Cons

Due to the nature of the open, "hacker" culture, there is a lack of ownership, and a drive to come up with a working solution as fast as possible (i.e. a "hack"). This leads to a patchwork-like infrastructure, with each component "tacked" onto the existing framework, and old components taken out due to a lack of maintenance. Picture a custom-built hand-tuned muscle car, periodically upgraded with individual state-of-the-art components, as opposed to a sleek new Lamborghini.

A lot of work but very engaging

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A dynamic place to work with a lot of smart people. People very willing to help each other out and collaborate. Great perks and the opportunity to have a say for.

Cons

Work life balance is very out of whack. You have to work a lot of hours, but more importantly this doesn't seem to make people much more productive.

Figure out ways to make the engineering workload easier, or figure out how to harness people's extra working hours in a productive way.

Great Company

Current Employee - Ads in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Ads in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of freedom. Ability to learn so much.

Cons

Too much food can be a distraction, but a good one.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Very fast-paced, lots of impact.

Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fact that Facebook's product touches 1.3 BILLION people on a monthly basis is incredible. To support a community this large, everyone who works at Facebook must be willing to act fast, and often take risk. You are given a lot of autonomy in your role; however, FB is also surprisingly collaborative. I have never worked at a company where literally everyone I work with is equally as smart and hard-working across the board.

Cons

There are tons of resources for training and leadership here, but often not enough time to take advantage of everything that is offered.

I find the most successful managers are those who encourage their employees to take advantage of what is offered to every FB employee. Taking vacation is important, as is parental leave. Our leadership team does a great job of taking time off and encouraging others at the company to do the same.