Facebook

Updated 14 December, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

A company of overachievers

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. Nice workplace and great products to sell.

Cons

The brazilian leadership is immature when it comes to business management and doesn't have fit with FB culture.

Move faster, have (and share) a bold vision for the business, be more open and connected with your team.

Enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is easily approachable, very diverse and open culture, free food and drinks, state of the art technologies to learn from.

Cons

No sleeping or napping pods.

Love it

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

great atmosphere, benefits and people!

Cons

There are non, i love this place!

keep it up!

Fun, fast-paced, interesting problems to solve

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- free food: microkitchens, 3 meals a day
    - great intern perks: housing, events, Q&As and talks
    - awesome campus
    - passionate people, everyone really cares about what they are doing
    - easy to move around and switch teams. Not as easy for interns, but there were a lot of people moving around to things they were more interested in
    - smart people with a lot of great experience
    - fun close community even at such a big company
    - interesting impactful projects
    - hackathons provide opportunity for new ideas to be pushed out quickly
    - clear feedback loop

Cons

- large company, so it's easy to feel like you won't have a say in the product
    - easy to get lost if your team is too large or if you are not standing out
    - intern salary was a bit low compared to the competition, but that might have just been my rate...

Facebook is a great place to work and build a career!

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The mission the people and the benefits make Facebook a great employer. The work environment is what you would imagine at a tech company - very transparent, collaborative, innovative and fun. Facebook benefits compete with other large technology companies and they really do care about employee wellbeing.

Cons

Some of the challenges that come with a company who sees itself as a "start-up" or at least no where close to a Google in size, is that things can be disorganized. You are often times not given much structure/direction.

More training, more structure, but overall it's great!

Loved it. One of the best places to intern.

Former Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

projects are impactful, managers are understanding, culture is sick.

Cons

Expect to gain atleast 10 pounds. :/

Incredible impact

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The (numerous) perks aside, Facebook is one of the few places you'll be able to easily make an impact on large amounts of people, no matter your role. Once reviewed, code can make it to the live site by the next week. Everyone has an equal level of access to the entire codebase and can see each others' projects; openness is big within the company.

Cons

When you work alongside so many intelligent people, it's easy to feel like you're not as good as your peers. Having your work have this much impact can be stressful, especially when you break some feature and have to push out a fix. Moving fast is a blessing and a curse.

Great to company to work for

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a lot of autonomy and are trusted to make right decision. High performance is expected, but is also recognized and rewarded with promotions/rises.
    Very interesting and diverse technical challenges. If something is broken - you're free to work with other teams on stuff that affects your team.
    No bs attitude and not much of politics happening at the office.

Cons

With all perks you get, some people loose themselves and forget to do their job - that's a quick way to get fired.
    Not a good place if you don't like changes/learning new stuff all the time.

Good, very good!

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

management cares deeply about your career direction, and alwys pushes you a little bit to grow, accept more responsabilities, and learn as much as possible.

Cons

flip side of this is that is not the place for people to kick back and relax in a comforting job rrole that you do the same thing day in and day out.

work/life balance is sometimes askew particulary in smaller teams