Facebook

Updated 25 November, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

Enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is easily approachable, very diverse and open culture, free food and drinks, state of the art technologies to learn from.

Cons

No sleeping or napping pods.

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great working environment
    2. Free food and frequent offsites

Cons

1. Very steep learning curve

very good place for engineers

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice PTO policy, nice sick leave policy, nice salary and stock options. very good

Cons

fb is a big company now. fresh engineers are kind of limited to their role

Growth as a company value

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Facebook is all about growth. Growing the products, growing the company, but also growing its employees. Everybody is expected and encouraged to grow. Tight peer and upward/downward feedback cycles help a lot here. Transparent communication, no matter which direction it's flowing, is the norm.

Cons

Company size might be a problem for some. Intense growth has challenges too. Overall FB seems to be handling both much better than other companies, though.

Best Culture

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Company has the smartest people I've ever worked with. The work life balance is pretty healthy. Although everyone works extremely hard, they are also able to focus on things outside of the workplace.

Cons

Needs to be more synchronization of culture across all offices, especially when it comes to pace and inter-team culture.

as the company scales faster and massively larger, consider taking time to develop managers - equip them with meaningful training for their tool kit.

Empowering, exciting, relaxing and stressful at the same time ;)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact on the world one can have is sometimes hard to fathom.
    Also, most of the employees are just such decent human beings that it really skews the perspective on the world's population.

Cons

As it is probably the case with most US tech companies, people tend to work a lot and it kinda creates stress for ones that want to have a personal life as well.

Figure out the problem of "celebrities" in the management - there are some really bad ones.

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.