Facebook Reviews

Updated 29 September, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Because on the other hand we are always encourage to apply work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been very useful both socially and business wise

Current Employee - Online Marketer  in  Roseau (Dominica)
    Current Employee - Online Marketer in Roseau (Dominica)

I have been working at Facebook part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great reach of people to interact with, Customers are a click away, Access to companies all over the world, The overall benefits are great and suit my lifestyle

Cons

Lots of time spend in front of the computer, leaving not much time for home, friends and group outings. Saturated market means its harder to achieve goals

You guys are great all around

Move fast! Take ownership.

Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great.
    Benefits are still lacking a little behind main competitor in developing countries.

Cons

Although regional and global leadership are amazing, local leadership is not that great.
    Which is also great because it creates a lot of room for us to grow.

Great experience working with very professional individuals

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great company culture, awesome pay, and wonderful events to keep you excited about the company!

Cons

there were some difficulties in communication with the team but overall great experience

maybe spend a little more tiem on training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, fast-paced and never a dull moment

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We hire great people - which makes coming into work so much easier. There are always a number of career opportunities for high-performers if you want a new challenge. I have a lot of respect for senior management. The direction of the company is strong.

Cons

It's very MPK-centric. While it is a global company and cares for global growth, it can be harder to get your voice heard from a remote office. Global benefits are also not in-line with benefits of the US. That said, the benefits are still pretty stellar.

Facebook Austin - Lean Out: A Contractor Story

Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

So you want to work at Facebook Austin (FBA). Perhaps you are enchanted by the product, liking and friending your brains out on a daily basis, and now want to crack open the hood and explore its inner workings. Maybe its high satisfaction rating (among the best out there) is an especially motivating carrot. Or at some point you were regaled by stories of beer pong debauchery, free endless catered smorgasbords, and more baubles than the love child of a Brookstone and an As Seen on TV store. Whatever your reason, if you’re applying for a contract position, there are some things to note in order to adjust your expectations.

There are two castes within this tech world: contractors and full-time employees (FTEs). The distinction is important, as applicants who consider a contract position to be a short-term version of an FTE will be woefully disappointed. Though once at the level of the Morlocks and Eloi, the discrepancy in treatment has improved in recent years and FBA in particular took note of the divide and instituted changes. Nevertheless, the two groups remain distinct in work and treatment.

As a contractor, you’re not being hired for your ideas or to make giant leaps forward on the team. You’re being hired because engineering hasn’t created an effective algorithm to make that position obsolete. You are a stop-gap measure. A well-fed and liquored stop-gap measure, but a stop-gap measure nevertheless. Even the type of candidate that is sought after for a contract position is markedly different from that of an FTE. Of course, this is the nature of all contract work, not just contract work at FBA.

What is distinct about contract work at FBA is its manipulation of its workers. For those earnest people who believe that a contract position will be your entre into an FTE role, lean back on those hopes. Remember, you will be hired with a different set of criteria than that of an FTE. Yes, it could happen. I’ve seen it. But only a degenerate gambler would take that bet. In my experience so far (<1year), I’ve seen more than a handful of contractors, actively encouraged by management to apply for full-time positions only to be turned down by the same team who told them to apply.

After these candidates are deemed “not a good fit,” they go back to their roles and continue to work hard and do a good job. Management notes this and so these contractors are given added responsibilities, and some are even given team lead/managerial type roles- but only in responsibility, not title or pay. You can spin this inequality in terms of an opportunity to gain more good work experience, however, management continues to lead on these workers with pseudo promises of a new position that will become available “soon” or that they are working on creating a position just for that worker because “they are so valuable to the team.” But, these opportunities never appear.

This review isn’t meant to be a slanted deprecation of FBA. I’ve gotten a lot out of my time here. There are talented and brilliant people, fascinating concepts to explore, and of course the food and trinkets. My intent is to set expectations for the next group of contractors and to point out a bit of deception (intended or not) by management. This is an awesome role and place but don’t come in starry-eyed. Just pump the breaks on your high hopes, lean back, and enjoy the ride.

Cons

See above for negative aspects.

Don't make promises you have no intention of (or can't) keep.

Keep Up With the Clique

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- insane perks (barber, laundry, dry cleaning, car detailing, fitness facilities, stipend for food and entertainment, childcare, etc.)
    - tremendous stock upside
    - competitive (but not overboard) base salaries
    - generous bi-yearly bonuses

Cons

Out of sight, out of mind. Be prepared to always be social with everyone. Engage everyone at the company both online and offline at all times. This can get tiring if you're not naturally that kind of person. The people that are the friendliest with the decision-makers always get preference. Its not the kind of place that you can keep your head down, have a small group of friends, do good work, and be successful. You need to be socially matrixed to the maximum level. If not, you might be let go...

Also, they didn't get to be a big behemoth by ignoring the little things. There are a lot of mundane tasks to be done. There are also lots of small optimizations to be made that move numbers up but don't necessarily impact the end-user experience that much. It's easy to lose sight of a good process that asks "why?" and instead work tirelessly (and rapidly) to move numbers up for no good reason (other than to move numbers up).

Lots of time is required out of normal business hours. This can be challenging for people with families.

Some orgs are better run than others. Choose wisely, and do your homework, out of bootcamp.

Break up the clique-culture. Its like an 8th grade schoolyard in there (replete with the puppy-love romances).

Positive experience in a company that is growing Google style

Current Employee - Client Partner  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits and perks.
    good worklife style
    great products

Cons

too much competition
    tendency to take executives from outside rather than promoting employees from inside

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Content Writer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

There isn't enough space to write them all. You work with the best, smartest, most interesting people in the world. You are working on problems that can touch over 1 billion people. If we don't have the tools we need to do something, we make them, then do what we wanted to do. I've never worked at a place that so inspiring, creative, and FUN as this one. I've been here for over a year and I am STILL not upset when it's Monday and I have to go back to work.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when you want to work on something, but have to prioritize something else that's higher impact. Luckily my manager works with me to ensure that I always have some time allocated to what I'm passionate about.

You're doing a fantastic job. The fact that you've been able to scale this culture as well as you have is a true testament to how much you love it here as well.

good

I worked at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

culture is great. the facilties are awesome

Cons

discrimination between full timers and contractors

ok

I worked at Facebook part-time

Pros

balance promotions time off good pay and benefits

Cons

difficult work environment rude workers perks office culture training

get it together

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!