Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

ProsGreat benefits, dynamic environment, laid back

ConsNothing comes to my mind

Amazing company where engineers rule

ProsFacebook has amazing perks for employees and tried really hard to be the best employer in the valley. Their benefits are next to none and the company is genuinely interested in ensuring that people are happy and stay for the long run. Also the people in the company are really smart and hence it is easy to have a super enriching experience working here.

ConsThe work atmosphere is intense and too engineering centric. Some employees have risen quickly as they have been in the right place at the right time but are not necessarily the best for their role.

Great young energy, but sometimes dull job

Media Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFast changing, open leadership, good perks.

ConsOver qualified workforce, dull manual tasks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great perks and work-life balance, really smart people, challenging problems

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsThe people here are all really smart. The emphasis is on output and you're pretty much in control of your hours, it's normal to get out in the middle of the day to hit the gym, etc. Perks are also great, can't beat the food and the micro-kitchens. And every change you make to the code instantly impacts hundreds of millions of users.

ConsAt least for internships, teams are somewhat hit-or-miss: some teams work on really exciting products while others, not so much.

If you are over 40 Beware!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are great, and there are some very smart an engaging people

ConsMany departments within Facebook have a maturity problem. If, you are 40 or older, I would not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementMs. Sandburg as the COO needs to evaluate the lack of maturity of those who surround her...the lack of experience is going to cost Facebook potential law suits and brand reputation

AGist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work and get things done, tons of energy, no obstacles to creativity, very, very, very talented people

ConsDo not even consider a full-time role here if you are over 40. The average employee is very young, and doesn't know how to treat more senior people with anything more than patronizing, sophomoric arrogance, you know: "You might think you've done this before and know what you're doing, but even though I've never done it before I'm going to be able to do it better than you." The company is lucky that it is being buoyed by ad revenue, which makes up for a lot of short sightedness when it comes to management and the efficiency brought by experience

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to a truly diverse workforce that is designing social networking tools for the whole world, not just for the people who work at Facebook today.

Not so great unless you are FTE

ProsPleasant atmosphere. Convenient onsite perks. Friendly, well-meaning people. Opportunities to be hired in-house if someone likes you.

ConsAs a vendor you are a second-class citizen. One may have the responsibility for a project, but no one consults your opinion on how to best execute. Too much top-down, one-way communication. Reactionary, impulsive decision making based on limited, often incorrect or incomplete, information makes it difficult to focus and be effective on longterm goals.

Everything is based on relationships. So if you are an FTE, you could be completely inept, inappropriate, offensive and egotistical, (--as long as it's to a vendor--) but if you get along well with the right people, it's overlooked.

I recommend working here only as an FTE.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey your contingent and contract workers. Most of these people are just as dedicated, intelligent and capable. Practice more inclusion and gratitude.

Exciting to work and make an impact immedately . But it is starting to get big

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan work with very smart people and make impact immidiately

ConsIts getting bigger and too many people now

Transparency. Trust. Compassion. Food.

User Operations Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFacebook truly values the important things in life (to me, at least).

- The culture and dialog is open about everything. Whether it's with your manager, on your team or concerning a company wide issue.
    - The amount of power entrusted to employees is huge. You are empowered to go explore and find data, build things, and generally chose the course of action you think will have the most impact.
    - Managers force you to go home if you're not feeling well. Miss your kid's all star game to stay at work and you'll get weird looks. Perform your core function well and you have so much leeway in how you spend your time - (how it should be, right?)
    - The food is so good.

Cons- Sometimes it's momentarily discouraging surrounded by such smart, driven, all-around awesome people. And it can be harder to stand out for excellence (despite internal commitment to acknowledging successes in public and private).
    - On occasion the community can be overly sensitive

Advice to Senior Management- Focus on being transparent with users
    - Simplicity should be a major pillar of the vast majority of new products
    - Keep the user first in all decisions

Interesting work, ample learing opportunities, smart people, great perks, excellent compensation, fun environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThe biggest problem with working for Facebook is showing up to work every day (well, not every day since the work-from-home policy is pretty liberal) and thinking, "Man, this must be a bubble. I mean, there's a bouncy house, 10 scotch bars, and they're roasting a pig in Hacker Square."

But, if you can stand that, the rest is great.

ConsGotta be REALLY careful with data. Despite what you see on Facebook, there is nothing that Facebook is more concerned about than protecting its users' data. People "disappear" from time to time, and the reason is usually that someone *&(^ed up and did something with data that they shouldn't have, whether accidentally or intentionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareful with the B-School BS. Let's keep it a no-nonsense, engineering-focused company. Stop using the (non)word, "learnings." Squash any hint of bureaucracy.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!