Facebook

Updated 20 August, 2014

4.3

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

User operations specialist

Pros

Culture, innovation, focus on impact, perks, flexibility

Cons

Sometimes you are defined just by your role. Perception of employees in global offices is less than those a the head office.

Great place to work at, but pressure tends to be high.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

Pros

1) Ownership of software
    2) Responsibilities are given
    3) No lack of projects
    4) Compensation and package is awesome

Cons

1) Pressure tends to be high
    2) long working hours
    3) Management is ineffective
    4) Managers sometimes aren't very understanding
    5) A lot of employees have the fear of getting fired for performance

Fantastic

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

* Compensation, you will be compensated fairly well but don't expect to be super rich
    * Impactful, with Facebook serving 1.23 billion people, a simple change you make can either reach millions of people or improve Facebook's efficiency greatly
    * Relaxing work environment, while there are deadlines to be met, its how you reach those deadlines that matter. Work life balance is easy.

Cons

* To get the main benefit, work in HQ, I've worked in other offices and felt I never got the same treatment
    * Big company, Facebook isn't as small as it used to be, so if you want to be heard. Make sure to make some noise

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Culture

Pros

Everyone is relied upon and valued. They expect you to be the best, which also evokes the best from you.

Cons

Even though they preach about having work-life balance, it is very difficult to with the amount of work needed. However, this applies to all companies that aim to run as efficiently as Facebook does.

Fantastic Culture, Colleagues, Learning Experience, and an Overall Great Opportunity!

Current Employee - Client Partner  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Toronto, ON

Pros

An incredible culture and great group of people to be around.

Cons

The work itself is quite rigorous and difficult.

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Best workplace if you really want to get things done!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Pros

- You are measured and rewarded on impact and not the other usual factors such as your relationship with manager or how many hours you have to work
    - Great open culture where you can question anything and anyone. You are encouraged to take risks in order to achieve something bigger.
    - Great place for mentorship - bootcamp is amazing way to understand company culture, build relationships and get exposure to various technologies. Beyond that there are tons of individuals that you just need to ask and they will help you in every way possible.
    - Facebook has some of the friendliest individuals that I have ever worked with
    - Great perks! food, amenities, health, dental, gym, and the list goes on and on
    - Believes in compensating you what you are worth instead of trying to lowball and counter offering once you have a competing offer.
    - You are truly working on things that are making a difference in people's lives

Cons

- If you really want to set yourself apart, know that you are probably working with some of the brightest in the industry. You better be on top of your game :-)

Continue to maintain the culture that exists. Let's ensure it doesn't turn into another one of those other tech giants!

Lots to learn from great people. Especially if this is your first job.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities. Especially if this is your first job. The best part is I'd say the move fast culture. It feels very much like a start up, along with the perks and benefits of working in a big company. Also, you'll get better guidance here, from more experienced colleagues as compared to a startup. The company values like "Nothing at Facebook is someone else's problem" and the fact that they're actually put into practice make it an awesome place to work. :D Even breaking things is a good experience to have! Last but not the least, the free food, the swag, the awesome campus, the hackathons and all other perks!

Cons

Sometimes you may not get work you like. But that wouldn't be the case for jobs I guess, because of Bootcamp. I was just an intern. So no bootcamp for me.

Really great company to work for

Former Employee - Production Engineering Manager  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Production Engineering Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Great culture & core values - Focus on Impact, Move Fast, Be Bold, Be Open - these are not just buzzwords but are the true embodiment of the company.

Great colleagues - The overwhelming majority of staff at FB are world-class at what they do and are dedicated to doing a great job.

Great working environment & perks. FB really takes care of their employees in pretty much every sense of the word.

The company innovates and iterates really quickly and, despite the speed, moves to a surprisingly high quality bar.

Cons

Not a real "con" per-se, but it would be great to have a broader set of engineering teams in Dublin.

Keep up the good work :-)

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Very positive atmosphere that challenges you, good camaraderie between workers. Very competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Demanding job if you want to advance; requires long hours.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!