Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's a rocky ride

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to meet a lot of really smart people. Also, there are a lot of benefits and there's more coming.

ConsThe company is growing big really fast. If you aren't in product teams, it's hard to get much love and as the size increases this is more apparent.
It's not a small company anymore and over the time I was here, I have seen the start up culture slowly mature.

Mindblowing!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

ProsGreat deal of flexibility
Most amazing senior management and some of the best mentors
The perfect place to kickstart your career and learn about the corporate
A dynamic organization with well defined structures. But not so rigidly defined that you lose out on flexibility
free food, great parties and offsites, intellectual and passionate people and the best culture

ConsLow compensation and long working hours ( though largely a personal choice)

The Company is great, but I worked for an abusive-psycopathic bully boss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Company is great, and your co-workers are very smart. Perks on the job are really good.

ConsI happened to work for a bullying boss of the psychopathic kind and that too in a control function. He would put on the charm to superiors, while he abused every one of his team. The entire team quit within 2 years of joining the company and HR looked the other way. The boss was the worst -- he was a habitual liar, withheld information from direct reports on critical matters, took credit for all ideas, blamed everyone on any bad news but himself and his lack of management skill, and even spread misinformation and confusion about individual performance to his superiors. He was stupidly risk taking, which is the wrong kind of person to put in a control function, which left the team very, very worried about compliance lapses. Unfortunately, it was too late before anyone in the team could realize the damage that the jerk was causing and the abuse he had heaped day after day. Everyone decided to seek out better avenues, which was not an issue given the decade + work experience that each one had.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure that HR does its job in filtering psychopaths from occupying managerial positions.

Data Science

Data Scientist (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart people, especially many with PhDs and other forms of strong academic performance.

ConsProduct Managers treat analytics as ad hoc data pullers. Data and development environment actively hinders cross analyst information and expertise sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify job roles differences between data science, analytics and business intelligence. Incorporate standardization and peer review principles of software engineering into analytics workflows.

A heaven for an engineer!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsI moved here from a larger stable company where I was also working as a software engineer, and I have just been wow-ed! Apart from the amazing perks, I work with a set of very dedicated, determined and intelligent folks, which is really the best part of working here.

- Co-workers are mostly rockstars!
- Lots of resources to learn - 7 months into my job and I feel I am already a much better engineer.
- Lots of importance on what YOU want to work on, versus what your manager thinks you should work on. You can freely talk to your manager and find an intersection between your interests and the company/product needs.
- Everything is automated (again by rockstar teams), and processes are made as simple as possible.
- Great pay, stocks and bonuses.
- Amazing perks! Lots of food choices, great campus, regular team happy hours with great food, and the list goes on and on.

Cons- Work-life balance almost 0 on weekdays! I spend the entire day working/thinking about work. But that is what I was looking for. Weekends are upto you - most people do not work.
- Lots of process changes in short periods of time - so you are constantly climbing the learning curve. But this maybe specific to the product I work on.

Project Coordinator

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome people, Great culture, Great food

ConsThe commute was very long

The Best Place to learn

Software Developer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing work culture, you never see it as a work place

ConsLong Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should identify the young talents

Form employee #514

Senior Manager Data Center Operations (Former Employee)
Ashburn, VA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place, great mission, great creativity and upper managment support behind creativity

Consgetting to large to execute on creative ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is aware of the employee scaling issues and works on "drift" control constantly.

Facebook is a great company to work for

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFacebook is a company that trusts your abilities and talent. You're given so much responsibility and learn something everyday.
The culture is beyond compare, you work with people from all over the world and with different work- and educational backgrounds - and everyone is committed to making the platform better and help the world connect.

ConsBeing a young team can be a good and a bad thing. It's great for innovation and ambition, but it can certainly lack the necessary experience to foresee challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open about projects, products and changes in the org.

It's not a job, it's an experience

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFast-paced environment, constant iteration, no time to get bored but plenty of time and opportunities to learn and get smarter. A lot of experienced engineers and non-engineers, willing to share every last bit of their knowledge.

ConsDisparity of perks and pay between HQ and satellite offices is somewhat de-motivating, but those who can and want can always move to HQ if they can find a place there (not that hard, actually) - so not a complaint as such, just a point worth mentioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep trying not to become one of those old-school corporations tied up in red-tape

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 640 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.