Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is run well. I don't feel over-managed and I have a clear view of the company's objectives and goals. Pretty cool perks, even with working in a remote location.

ConsWorking in a remote location makes it difficult for career advancement. A lot of meetings, and less action. The company has grown very large and decision making is a slower process.

Fantastic place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIncredibly smart people. Hierarchy agnostic. Ideas bubble up. Best ideas win, but key is to articulate them compellingly. Fantastic benefits.

ConsAs FB grows, so do interdependencies. Key is to maintain scrappy startup feel while scaling up and ensuring coordination and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey is to transition to more mature stage.

Great

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Prosa spectacular place to work--no qualifications.

ConsI would have none at all.

Fun, creative, exciting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

ProsOpen, collaborative, and fun environment

ConsLimited long-term opportunities for contracted employees

product designer

Product Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, free food, young energetic super talented people, fast moving/fast learning environment, compatible salary and perks, relatively flat company hierarchy, overall tech-y design-y open company culture

Consoffice is too cold, with free food everywhere, great sweet shop, it's really really easy to gain weight

Still trying to be a start up even though we're a big company. Still fun, smart and a great place to be

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun culture, super smart people, great benefits (for non married folks), still retains the "let's do everything at a breakneck speed" mentality. The hierarchy is still pretty flat. You are always in charge of your destiny so it's pretty much up to you to step up or sit down. If you sit down too long, you won't last. This is a company of doers, not debaters. There is opportunity everywhere as long as you have the attitude to do something with it. Most everyone is incredibly helpful.

ConsMoving fast doesn't always mean doing it right - While you're pretty much allowed to try anything, as a large company, we should slow down and mature some of the processes in order to maintain a high quality of shipped products as opposed to letting the culture of "fail fast" cause duplicate work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in managers. By this I mean, allow a manager to focus on managing most of the time if it's right for the role. While its admirable that managers always need to work as well, not being graded on managerial skills creates unnecessary employee relations issues. At any other place, the manager can be one of the most critical advocates to a worker's career. Facebook is the only place I've ever been at where we can really have our managers bring out the best in folks and focus only on that role since the hierarchy is pretty flat. No where else has that opportunity. And while managers are general awesome, the management role is just not being used to its full potential.

Amazing company with a fast moving culture that manages to persist despite its large size.

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsSurrounded by some of the smartest people in the industry and a hunger for building the social products of the future. Great perks, compensation and food. Although it's grown to be a public company, Facebook still maintains a great engineering culture.

ConsWork life balance can be rough, depending on your team. I've also only ever been a part of the engineering org, and have heard of highly stressful situations from non-engineering employees.

facebook from a ui design perspective

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

Prosgreat opportunity to do work that impacts an incredibly large demographic

Consonly have 2 prime locations centralized around the engineering division

Big company focused on bottom line in recruiting

Technical Sourcer (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat people
Lots of exposure to information and growth opportunities

ConsChanging recruiting structure
Lack of transparency about performance

Career opportunities with a fun company culture.

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are fantastic (food, laundry, health insurance, onsite doctors etc) and the people are really friendly. There's a lot of energy buzzing around this campus. Projects are fun to work on and extremely influential. Even though the company is growing, you can still make an impact.

ConsCorporate politics are creeping in as the company gets bigger. Some egos have been let in the door from big corporations.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 637 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.