FXCM

FXCM Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

FXCM CEO and Director Drew Niv

Drew Niv

Pros
  • You'll learn a lot and the opportunity for exposure and hands on experience exceeds those top positions at big banks (in 7 reviews)

• Good place to start, you can gain valuable experience (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, poor handling of bad staffing choices (in 6 reviews)

• The company is corrupt, especially on the upper management level; lacks ethics and integrity; (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not recommended, unless you are desperate for experience

Operations Management (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to get an entry-level position, which can help to move forward in the industry

ConsPunitive work environment. Employees have been yelled at on the floor by managers. Unrealistic productivity goals without adequate focus on quality of work. Management is like a highschool clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire external, experienced managers.

Forgot What Made Them Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to learn different aspects of the forex market.
    Ability to gain many new skills just based on the nature of how each department works.

ConsPay is less than industry standard.
    Slowly outsourcing jobs to other countries.
    Wasteful spending that results in people getting fired to make the bottom line look good to investors.
    Promotions and job security based on cronyism and nepotism, if you don't fall into those 2 categories, you have to sacrifice your personal life and happiness before you see benefits (if they don't fire you first).
    Managers are clueless in how to develop people but remain in power because of the points listed above.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually learn how to manage. You always say that things should change for the better but the management model seems to be exempt from that. Management doesn't seem able to see their own shortcomings and constantly assign their failures to other people under. This is the vicious cycle of FXCM.

A good place to start your career but not really any room for advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will enjoy working with your colleagues on the same level as you. You will gain some great experience in the FX markets as well as with interacting with people on the phone.

ConsManagement is terrible. They do not value their employees at all. There is extremely little room for advancement within the firm and they are just fine with that, as they consider the majority of their employees to be a dime a dozen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employees to excel, show them you care about them. It will speak volumes for the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FXCM isn't a perfect company, it's tough, you'll grow a lot and its a great place to start

Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat coworkers - its the best part of the job. If you're in FSR, you'll be apart of a great team that works well together
    Welcoming HR team - Asha in Dallas makes the the company look really good to potential candidates
    Pay is actually pretty good relative to other FSR entry level jobs. However you earn every penny of it for how stressful it can be. Despite the the "cons" listed in some of the other reviews regarding pay - this company pays you in experience where it may not in salary.
    Great mentors - my boss (mid level manager) was great to work with and definitely helped make me a better professional. I can't say that about my other bosses that I've had in the past - nor can I comment on other departments in this company.

ConsInsanely tough metrics especially with the current market conditions and low volatility
    High burnout rate - its stressful, its fast paced, and you will deal with some very difficult clients
    The coffee in the break room is God awful, nearly tortuous. Bring your own coffee.
    Computers belong in a museum, your iphone is faster than these things.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management - Interact with your employees more, be friendly, pretend like you're glad we're busting our butts for you - Don't forget how stressful the job can be.

Mid level - you guys do a good job, just keep in mind you're the bridge between the lower guys to the upper lever of management. Be able to occasionally vouch for the guys lower than you because they'll definitely be there to make you look good when it counts.

Financial Operations Associate

ProsGood experience, very diverse and global company.

ConsLimited growth and promotion opportunity.

It is very easy to get in to the company. The bar is not very high. Which is reflected in pay.

Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- Easy environment.
    - Not much of a rush to get anything done.
    - The experience you have will really depends on the manager you get. Some are decent, others are not.

Cons- If you're ambitious, this is a wrong place to be or it should be a stop along the way - very brief stop.
    - Management has been in place forever. These few people who joined the company a while back have held the spot and control the information going to upper management to keep it that way.
    - Along the same chain of thought - politics is fostered in the company from the highest level. Managers fighting among each other about what they control and how they control it even if it is detrimental to the business or general operations. Example of this is: If something goes wrong, rather than fixing it, every email is dissected to find out who to blame among the many departments working on the project.
    - A lot of employees have recently described the company as a sinking ship. Bonuses are cut, no raises are given. Most of the fault for that goes to the partners who have not diversified the business. They keep thinking of acquiring other FX firms rather than branch in to other markets. This is what it seems to me as an employee of many years. I'm not privy to their future plans.
    - Quality of people is not high. No go-getters... people just going with the flow to earn a living. I'm among them.

Advice to Senior Management- Top management should start firing or laying off managers when politics is being used within the company. Although there will be a vacuum as to who fills those spots. No real leaders all around.
    - Keep an open mind and listen to bottom level employees. Don't just listen to managers you've appointed while back.
    - How is seniority a qualification or requirement for promotion? Wake up.

DailyFX Intern

DailyFX Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou'll learn a lot and the opportunity for exposure and hands on experience exceeds those top positions at big banks. You'll work with excellent analysts/strategists and learn all the while. The position is what you make out of it and if you love markets and are willing to learn, this is for you.

ConsPoor management, vision, direction, execution. Not only limited to DailyFX, but also other departments. Seems CEO only want to be surrounded by yes men, but this comes at the cost of (1) progress (2) team moral and (3) turnover rates. CEO should hire good leaders instead who actually have a vision and will lead a team rather than be micromanaged.

Good company, bad turnover. (Tokyo Office)

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsGood corporate resources and liquidity, strong industry presence.

ConsHigh turnover, poor handling of bad staffing choices

Great education, limited growth opportunities. Learn the business and leave in 2 years or less.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best places to learn the foreign exchange market.

ConsTerrible compensation unless you can leverage past experience to drive revenue in a short period of time.

Good experience

Introducing Broker (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsA lot of things you can learn

ConsHigh requirement to get commission

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Worked for FXCM? Contribute to the Community!