FMC Reviews

Updated 24 October, 2014
Updated 24 October, 2014

FMC Chairman, President, and CEO Pierre Brondeau
Pierre Brondeau

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving (in 3 reviews)

• FMC has a fairly stable work force (for those interested in job security) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, particularly in HR at Green River (in 3 reviews)

• It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay

Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Enterprise Systems in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at FMC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and a good chemical manufacturing company. Nice people great to work with makes work enjoyable. Flexible work environment.

Cons

No benefits for interns since interns are not on contract. It's an okay place if you are in IT. It being a chemical company the IT department is not given much attention. The company does not have much visibility.

Mediocrity rules

Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Unable to Share in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at FMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility around working hours and locations. Some great people at the middle and lower levels of the corporation, although they usually leave after a few years. I also had one incredible and exceptional boss, who also left of course. I wish I could say more good things - but that was about it in my experience. However, I have heard good things about the company's Agriculture division (where I didn't work).

Cons

Where to start? The division where I worked had no strategy, partly as the result of years of cost cutting and under-investment, partly due to a lack of industry and customer understanding, and partly due to a management culture that emphasizes conformity and analytical skills over creativity and teamwork. By the time I left, trust in divisional and senior management was at very low levels and so many people had left or been fired that it was difficult to see a meaningful future for the business.

I was also concerned that I wasn't going to learn much. With one exception, the business' current leaders (at least in my area) were kind of nice but stunningly mediocre thinkers. They also knew nothing about their customers or their customers' businesses and weren't interested in them. When I offered to lend an important (and short) industry article to Someone, the response was "Nah, that's what I have you for." The contrast between FMC and my current employer in this respect is staggering.

One of the saddest things of all is that I never heard anyone in HR or management use the word 'teamwork' other than superficially. It was all about 'leadership' and the individual. This emphasis led to a lot of very silly meeting behaviors (one-upmanship, talking for the sake of talking, putting down others to enhance one's own standing, etc). Again, where I now work is a huge improvement.

If you like highly political, inward-looking environments that emphasize style and self-promotion over commercial flair, technical skills or ability to drive results, you will love this place.

Not much point, is there?
    (-;

Good stable product and secure jobs

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and good job security outlook.

Cons

Staffing is too lean and therefore, stressful. Do more with less people, unless you work at headquarters. Corporate policies/procedures not very balanced with what is needed at the production level. Safety is #1 but not listed in the job descriptions as #1 and goes from there. New CEO and his followers brought in over the past few years try to make this company just like the one they came from. Managers change every 2 years so there is no consistency

Need to be less top heavy with staff on the global level. Not sure where their diversity talk is when they deal with staff at the production facilities level. If safety is #1 then every procedure and job description would start with safety.

Great dynamic environment

Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many challenges which keeps things interesting. Smart, talented people to learn from although it takes time to find the right people to connect with.

Cons

No formal training, you need to be able to learn on the fly and figure out how to get things done on your own. Sometimes too much focus on short term results.

Good work environment and the management is very competent .

Current Employee - GL Accountant Treasury in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - GL Accountant Treasury in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at FMC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with, lots of positive reinforcement and the company values the workers there

Cons

The company's top leadership appears to want to position the company for a buyout.

Oracle is a better system than SAP and who ever set up the SAP system made some major inter company system errors.

I wonder what we will do next?

I have been working at FMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are pretty good

Cons

little growth opportunities, operates using 20 year old strategies

Need to lead and inspire

Good Benefits but a bit Politcal

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at FMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, focus on safety

Cons

A high level of politics are played

Unsafe work conditions and primitive management strategies

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Bessemer City, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Bessemer City, NC (US)

I worked at FMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are lazy and do not want to work, the management group at the Bessemer City site does not have enough sense to fire you.
    Pay and benefits are good, but they have to pay enough to try and keep people from leaving.
    Have a reasonable performance review program.
    There is some effort around training.
    They are generally nice, friendly people but unable to execute

Cons

Maybe it's changed since I left, but here's what I saw:

Mechanical Integrity: piping is severely corroded, tanks develop holes, pumps are operated until the mounting bases rust away, building walls are cracked. In one instance, building steel rusted through and their process building started to fall onto the railroad tracks. Very depressing conditions.

Safety: PHAs are very crude, multiple areas where employees work in contact with noxious and/or reactive chemicals. When there are incidents, they sit for hours issuing corrective actions that are never completed. Constant ongoing corrosion of equipment and infrastructure poses major maintenance challenges.

Turnover: revolving door for engineers. Nobody who wants to improve site conditions sticks around, site leadership is incredibly slow to make decisions and get obvious improvements finished.

Management: they sleep in meetings if they show up at all, are unable to fire poor performers. Do not understand basic principals of chemical manufacturing, do not want suggestions for improvement. There is constant acrimony between site leadership and the division mgt group, the exceptionally poor management principles demonstrated by the offsite division leadership appears to be the root of most of the site's issues.

Operations: management generally stays off the floor, operators are left to fend for themselves with broken equipment and bizarre safety procedures. Operators develop their own methods for running the equipment, sometimes wrong. This plant is stuck in the 1950s.

Have you no shame?

Don't work here!

Former Employee - Clerical
    Former Employee - Clerical

I worked at FMC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

No pros for me, I couldn't get out of here fast enough. Lots of issues with "cliques" and favoritism. Since my departure, perhaps something has changed. I certainly hope so.

Cons

I was led to believe that this company cares about environmental issues, they don't. I'm glad I was able to find another job, this place just wasn't for me.

Owners of company-terrible.

I worked at FMC

Pros

Loved the office that I worked at and the employees. If it wasn't for the owners and the upper management even thought about leaving the company.

Cons

Owners/Upper Management-poor overall. If it wasn't for the owners and the upper management even thought about leaving the company. Poor attitude, poor judgement.

Quit