FAA

Updated 2 November, 2014
3.6

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta
Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

• Job security is decent even with sequester (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Shift work with weekends and holidays (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A decent salary and job security

Current Employee - Airway Transportation Systems Specialist in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork and a lot of training in OKC. Responsibilities of the job. What you do matters because lives depend on it. Job Security.

Cons

Limited pay and raises compared to those working in the private sector.

Bring back steps or some pay increase that corresponds to the length of time an employee has been with the company. Reward the employee with raises for taking on more responsibilities, such as being trained in multiple systems. As of now there is no reason other than to be more helpful to my office to agree to train in additional Comm/NAV and ESU systems.

Challenging Work, Good Benefits

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Service to flying public
    - Challenging; it doesn't get boring
    - Good pay, benefits, and retirement

Cons

- Bureaucracy
    - We've turned over the rule-making functions to those who have no knowledge of air traffic
    - Rotating shift work is a major strain
    - Little access to computers, and what we do have are out of date, secure-to-the-point-of-being-unusable computer systems
    - Inequity between different facilities

Take back control of the agency, and let your experts (the ones actually working the airplanes day in and day out) advise you.

A wonderful experience

Former Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed to develop leadership

Cons

constant reorganization conditioned a person to be flexible

Allow employees to show development initiative

Great pay and benefits. Great diverse group of individuals

Current Employee - Aviation Safety Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Aviation Safety Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Has great job security, and a ton of great people working for them. No work on holidays and its paid, and working on the weekends is for the most part unheard of.

Cons

Not alot of administrative positions

Make it easier for admistrative to have some upward mobility

FAA doesn't value education

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The average pay is good. Job security is decent even with sequester.

Cons

Friends of Managers get promotions regardless of experience, knowledge or ability.

Phenomenal!

Former Employee - Aviation Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Aviation Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at FAA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, great mission and vision; exceptional support from management.

Cons

There really are no cons to working at the FAA.

Great office culture; keep it up!

This is a very good place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management is effective, and the culture is supportive.

Cons

Advancement opportunities may be limited, due to stability of the workforce.

Keep up the good work.

air traffic controller

Former Employee - Front Line Manager
    Former Employee - Front Line Manager

I worked at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

job security, satisfaction, compensation, advancement

Cons

24/7 schedule, sometimes boring, sometimes over stimulating, might be a good thing!

good job,

AWESOME JOB, the world's worst employer!! Could be so much better. You will eventually regret working for the FAA.

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most challenging jobs you can get, but the personal rewards are all you will ever get. You will never be rewarded for "Doing your job" even if your performance is exemplary. Pay bonuses and time off awards are generally given to management even though they do nothing. You do the work, they get the rewards.

Pay is reasonable, only if you are in the best locations and work the most traffic. Low level towers in high cost of living areas can be challenging. (Aspen, Southern Cali)

23 and 1/2 years on the job and I will leave without a word next year. Sad but true. You get a decent retirement but for 25 years of service you don't get a watch (Even a timex) you get a chance to get out of jail. I am personally counting the days as if it is a prison term.

Cons

Terrible incompetent management (Your former coworker with no formal training) Spot Leave is nonexistent, you have to bid in October of the previous year for the ENTIRE next year if you want a chance for time off. Constant overtime due to staff shortage (But not in management, they have plenty of staffing) Work holidays, midnight shifts and shift work wears you out physically and mentally. Shift changes are constant also, staffing is short and management will NEVER cover for staffing unless they are getting paid OVERTIME to work their one sector that has no traffic in it. Perhaps the most challenging part of the job is the shift work besides dealing with "managers". Federal workers are scapegoats for every political fight lately and have paid severely in frozen wages. Unfortunately before that we had our wages frozen for 3 years and most people are pay capped at the end of their careers. Management got about 15% pay raises while controllers got nothing. A majority of management are at the congressional pay cap. Many controllers are pushing or better put, forcing their own children into this job. I would never want my children to work for the FAA in any capacity.

Read the other reviews, you see the other managers saying "Good job" or "Keep up the good work" in this box and then read the REAL worker's take on it. Night and Day, just like it is at the real job. Disconnected management and the real people that make things happen have a drastically different view of how things are going. It is partly laughable but maddening at the same time. You will never in 100 years find another job that management is so removed from the operation and does so little to forward the progress of the agency's mission. (Which is to safely and efficiently move air traffic) They have biweekly management meetings where they are ALL gone all day and nobody even notices, other than the place runs more efficiently. 1 Manager "watches over" 3 or 4 people for $190K a year......The management only "works" in the area 1 or 2 days a week and the rest of the "workweek" is spent in the back offices, surfing the web or something other than productive work. Why so bitter? These very same people treated us like dirt a few years back and that is unforgivable, I deserved so much better and so did my coworkers. I watched dozens of career employees leave years before they really wanted to but they felt they had no choice. 25-30 year careers ended without so much as a thank you from management.

I signed up to be a controller and I love what I do. Management is everything I don't want to be. I want to earn my salary and work for my pay, not run from work and do nothing for my pay. How these people live with themselves is beyond me. I call it human nature to get away with what you can and get the most for doing as little as you can. Get a job you can be proud of, working for the FAA will make you feel ashamed that you sold your soul for money. I was too close to retirement to just quit and that is not in my nature, but I was sure close.

Great Experience

I worked at FAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gain experience with certification

Cons

No career progression for high performers

Create culture for high performance

FAA Photos