Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company

Updated 25 September, 2014
Updated 25 September, 2014
3.8

Rex W. Tillerson

Loaded with money, full of dishonesty and negative employees, and little recognition/appreciation

Current Employee - Lab Tech
    Current Employee - Lab Tech

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company as a contractor

Pros

They have lots of money because America's still reliant on oil, and they emphasize a "culture of safety" which was really appealing to me....until I realized that it was merely a facade. I thought cultivating a safety mindset through one of their programs that recognized safe behaviors was a great idea because it required employees to consciously think of safe acts. It reinforced & reminded me of both the daily routine actions we took, as well as the not-so routine ones. Repetition is the mother of all skill so I thought this was a great program....but this was not their intention.

I won the program for the 2nd time, and the card that was picked was one I filled out for a permanent employee. He received the gift card, but neglected to honor the award of the program for me because the cards were supposedly only for "above and beyond behaviors"...which does not explain the fact that my co-worker received the gift card.

Cons

Nearly everyone dislikes the politics, rules, regulations, and are overall very negative and glum. It was so sad to see so many dissatisfied employees, esepecially the lab technians, who would constantly complain about the company. Lab tech cannot travel & the company would waste millions of dollars to fly someone over to the site to be trained on an instrument by a technician (with decades of experience), fly the researcher back across the country to the instrument...just to get around the "techicians can't travel" policy.

The majority of people working there are contractors, even technicians. Some labs had merely the researcher who sits in their office all day (doing no labwork), and 100% of the technicians on the team were contract technicians. Contractors have no access to gym (proven to fuel productivity), no paid time off, excluded from various events, and vastly underappreciated. Furthermore, the contract allows it so that a contractor can come into work one morning & be laid off. This happened to me. I went on my first vacation in 6 years and took 2 days off. I enjoyed the work I was doing and was finally able to pursue my dream....but then I come back from vacation and my ID card doesn't work at security. With absolutely no reason, warning, justification, I find out my contract position was terminated because "the project wasn't going where they wanted it". Yet, my co-worker who was not a contractor was still on the project... The idiotic thing was that I never even trained someone on the work I personally developed during my time there!

Researchers also steal patents & ideas from eachother often. A technician might come up with an idea that's intiallly dismissed and then the next week the researcher claims he came up with the exact same idea!

In the lab I worked, saftey was often neglected for the sake of "productivity" (hidden for years from the P.I.), with cracking pressurized lines, inhaling chemical vapors, and horrid ergonmic conditions...& was even encouraged to hide such acts from the PI.

Do some research on what actually makes employees happy & top predictors of job success!.

Good learning experience

I worked at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company

Pros

Great scientific networking opportunities, great scientists involving in bench-to-plant innovations, good pay package

Cons

A great abyss between management and scientists. Growth opportunities limited for research scientists in the organization.

Good pay and stable career.

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, stable career (typically hires for life), options to move within the company. Fairly low and benign politics - esp. at my level. Good work life balance. Very stable company with good long term prospects and a senior mgmt that genuinely thinks and invests on multi-decade time-frames.

Cons

Very slow moving, bureaucratic and conservative. Like the rest of the oil&gas industry, pretty backward in technology - esp. when compared to hi-tech companies which can get frustrating. Also, job-security makes people complacent and risk-averse. Also, the office space (i.e. on-site food, furniture, equipment, gym etc) is of very poor grade at all engineering locations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work environment,

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a great environment for engineering and science. People here are technically top-notch and very friendly. No office politics - atleast not of the nasty kind. Pay is decent and good benefits - including a pension plan.

The company hires for life - and encourages thinking of your career there in multi-decade time-spans.

Great work life balance - a lot of vacation time, sensible working hours.

Also, with the current petroleum boom - the outlook for this company is very promising.

Cons

Not the best place to build a career if you don't fit into the core competencies - chem-eng, reservoir-eng, geo-physics, geology, etc. Also, you have to move locations often to further your career - staying in the same job-family too long causes career stagnation.
    Not ideal when you have a family and a working spouse.

The physical condition of their offices is kind of ratty - old furniture, slow and unwieldy laptops, ratty carpeting, cafeteria food is horrible, no free coffee or sodas - stuff like.

Very rewarding

Current Employee - Research Technician/Plant Operator  in  Baytown, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Technician/Plant Operator in Baytown, TX (US)

Pros

Offers challenges to those who love them. Trial of new products and support for other plants to solve a particular problem satisfy my need of challenges. As a prior operator in a commercial plant, I loved my job, but lacked the challenges and change up I seek.

Cons

Limited budget sometimes forces you to work with what you have when you know a certain piece of equipment will help the process work better. Young engineers are hired usually directly out of school to cut their teeth on, and move on within a year or two, so it's a tiring process of having to "school" them in what will work and what doesn't. Lack of support for issues that bring us to a halt.

We understand the overwhelming feeling of a new position, however, have new engineers for the units be required to also learn and understand the unit they are running. In the field, with the operators, start ups to shutdowns, and get to know and understand the limitations of the unit. When they understand and know the unit, it helps us help them while helping us get the support we need when things are not turning out as was expected.

Great company to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very high technical standard set in all area of oil and gas with great people to work with. Great company for strong and highly talented new hires to develop their technical skill-sets.

Cons

Company is getting too large and has large company challenges for new entrant..

Keep up the great job, though there is room to improve.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA (US)

Pros

Incentives, pay is really good, room to grow within the company, flexible work schedule

Cons

Relocating to Houston and will not pay for administrative staff move

Look out for the administrative when it comes to relocation

Exciting Company with helpful colleagues BUT bad compensation and benefits

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent place to learn,
    helpful colleague from CEO, AEO and GSO,
    nice office,
    plenty of knowledge / information resources

Cons

bad traveling arrangement,
    double standard - malaysian staff do not enjoy the same benefit / compensation per american staff, i.e: share option scheme etc,
    awkward working hour

Get to know the system

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many opportunities for those willing to put in the time

Cons

Once pegged as non performer difficult to change perceptions

Attracts highly intelligent workforce, but the best people leave after a few years due to terrible work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time

Pros

Many bright and interesting people, challenging work, good place to learn skills and then go on to something better.

Cons

Good old boy management
    Poor middle management
    Politics trumps all
    Horrible hours
    Diversity and work-life balance are a myth
    No training
    Antiquated computers and software (this was really surprising)

Worked for Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company? Contribute to the Community!