ExxonMobil Reviews

809 reviews filtered by
3.7
ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by management in a meaningful way (in 43 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Ranking system is flawed because hard work is not taken into account (in 66 reviews)

1. Not bad

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The Pay, people are friendly

Cons

Can be stessful, non-technical work

Felt unappreciated and looked down on from managers. Snobs walk around doing nothing.

Current Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Moncton, NB
    Current Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Moncton, NB

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Taking calls from internal employees was pleasant most of the time.

Cons

Being contractor, no benefits, didn't feel like part of the team. Supervisors are very arrogant

Company doesn't care

Advice to Management

Hire people full time. Make them feel included.

3. Challenging work. Opportunity for growth.

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Very professional environment, teamwork oriented but hold high personal accountability. Great benefits. Training and skills development are emphasized.

Cons

Traditional structures, slower to change. Very competitive and challenging to change departments or pursue other career opportunities within company.

Jobs going away, and then coming back? Help Desk is a sad, sad story. Be a drone or lose your job.

Former Contractor - Former Helpdesk Support in Moncton, NB
    Former Contractor - Former Helpdesk Support in Moncton, NB

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- No Pro's to being a contractor.

Cons

- Helpdesk was taken out of its roots in North America and was put on the shoulders of South America and South Asia. This was to cut costs and have cheap but liable support. Now its back to North America where they want to fix whatever broken pieces were made. There was most likely an outrage of employee's not getting anything done because the support was either poor or the language barrier that those people had to face were unbearable. A horrible deal was made, people lost jobs/contracts, and now Exxon wants the original HelpDesk to pick up the pieces.
    - No benefit to being a Contractor. You do not get paid for the time off that you want so if you are looking to pay off any debts you better be ready to not have vacation pay.
    - If you are a contractor you are part of the herd and must follow in line.
    - You really have no say in anything as a contractor. If what you say is negative but constructive be prepared to lose your contract.
    - If you slip or make a mistake it will cost you your job. Even if the slip up was as small as an Email.
    - If you work really hard and do overtime be prepared to work even harder because they will take advantage of that.

Advice to Management

- Stop the highschool antics, and treat contractors better.
    - Give people a second chance if they make a stupid mistake. We are all human and we all make mistakes.

6. Great experience, global learning

Current Employee - Project Controls Lead in Fort McMurray, AB
    Current Employee - Project Controls Lead in Fort McMurray, AB

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, good potential for growth. Engineering focused company, very disciplined. Global organization, with great learning opportunity.

Cons

Focus on process leads to inefficiencies. Long work hours at times, and personal sacrifices necessary to advance in some divisions.

Advice to Management

Empowerment of employees to make decisions (recognizing that some will be good, and some bad), is crucial to future company's success.

Contractors treated like garbage ..Over 90% of company is Contractors

Former Contractor - End User Support (IT Deskside) Intermediate in Calgary, AB
    Former Contractor - End User Support (IT Deskside) Intermediate in Calgary, AB

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Work environment ok .
    Pay is ok could be better.
    People you work with are great...*Managers through hardly ever there always on vacation*
    Astrosphere there as a whole ok
    Very safety oriented ...might be too much as always in meetings every week sometimes 2-3 times a week.
    -Not permanent
    -Technology advancements ok. Separate group for discussions.. which was good.

Cons

-Contractors are treated like garbage. 90% of the company is contractors.
    -No hourly wage increase, to save money they renew contractors but rate stays the same even if you ask for $1.00 or so more.
    -Christmas Party example : For Contractors to bring say a guest & themselves it's a $100 per person so $100x2 = $200.00 for cocktail party. I thought Christmas party's were free, 1st time I've heard of even remotely having to pay for a Christmas party. Employee's pay $10.00 however they make a big deal about it. EDO days contractors not paid on this day as well as all holidays no pay either. Some companies will pay for holidays.
    -NO benefits (they save money by having over 90% of the company as contractors, also from what I understand after a year as a contractor aren't you suppose to offer FT Perm employment *(Thought this was against the rules of government*)
    -Training is a bit of a joke, sure they train for maybe 2-3 weeks if someone isn't busy. I was told it would take from 6 months -1 year to train me I was gone *contract ended in 4 months, when it took 2 months to get full access, still after 3 months still did not have all access) Making it hard to do job.
    -Safety meetings every week & quarter meetings 2-3 hours or longer ..all meetings mandatory. Plus not to mention suppose to take frequently break like every hour, how can you get your job done when you are taking breaks? A program installed on your computer makes you take breaks very annoying after awhile.
    -Also every week you have to take a safety test before your week starts, 10 min test. 3 times a year also need to take a LPS test as in your co-worker evaluates you for say your walking on the street they follow you & see if you are holding the hand rails on stairs, if your looking both ways to cross the street. I know its a safety organization but 3 times a year? Trying to get paired up with people when they are busy tough to do.
    -Also do not like when contract ended, I had asked about feedback the month before as how I was doing they said I was doing excellent yet then a month later they hired one more person so I thought to replace a guy who left. Then new person their only a week & they ended my contract no communication. Just the rep emailing me 2 hours after I had left work saying contract has been ended. Need to give feedback to contractors to let them know what's going on
    -Politics in the company, everything locked down, they are worried about secrets getting out, unsure as to why?
    -Everything is so locked down it makes even IT Desk side frustrated as we cannot use the tools to help the clients, hands are tied when trying to help clients as only can do so much.
    -Cannot move up in the company or change positions. If you have a degree you may get a FT employee job.
    -Found out was also lied to about becoming permanent in the company.

-Contract is not good as you could be without a job with no benefits ...which do not like. If you worked there for 10 years on contract at the same pay doing the same thing & not moving around would you be happy.
    -One thing I didn't like is when they have fund raisers they hound the everyone to donate even if they cant . Very pushy about donations (they get people to come to your desk to ensure if your donating or not) Found that to be very pushy.
    -Too many projects on the go as if you needed help who would you ask for as a lot of the staff aren't around a lot. Usually on holidays.

Advice to Management

Give people a job...too many contractors ...
    Let people move around in company & stop under valuing your contractors
    More training with job shadowing!

We have a lot of time off.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Moncton, NB
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Moncton, NB

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We have so much time off because we need it. The company expects a lot. The harder you work the more they expect. They do treat us very well. Hard work, being safe and positivity are important in order to survive in the work place.

Cons

Do not stray from status quo.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people who work for you make you look good.

9. Review

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Moncton, NB
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Moncton, NB

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career employment, benefits, strong company values

Cons

Salaries not increasing as they used to. Office politics.

10. Excellent work experience

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

very disciplined, professional company that is extremely well managed.

Cons

financials drive every decision, difficult to change processes.

Advice to Management

stop moving jobs offshore.

Great Pay, Challenging work

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past the company was always a step behind in technology. Always waiting for others to try it first, but in the last 4 years, they have been ahead of pack.

Cons

Working in a large company does not allow an individual the chance to learn outside of their current job role. While I understand Networking, I lack the skills of other components of the infrastructure. There was always another group that handled those, you only had to worry about your piece of the pie.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. They are the core of the organization.