ExxonMobil

Updated 21 November, 2014
3.7

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by management in a meaningful way (in 40 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Ranking system is flawed because hard work is not taken into account (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Review

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Moncton, NB
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Moncton, NB

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career employment, benefits, strong company values

Cons

Salaries not increasing as they used to. Office politics.

Contractors treated like garbage ..Over 90% of company is Contractors

Former Employee - End User Support (IT Deskside) Intermediate in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - End User Support (IT Deskside) Intermediate in Calgary, AB

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work environment ok .
    Pay is ok could be better.
    People you work with are great...*Managers through hardly ever there always on vacation*
    Astrosphere there as a whole ok
    Very safety oriented ...might be too much as always in meetings every week sometimes 2-3 times a week.
    -Not permanent
    -Technology advancements ok. Separate group for discussions.. which was good.

Cons

-Contractors are treated like garbage. 90% of the company is contractors.
    -No hourly wage increase, to save money they renew contractors but rate stays the same even if you ask for $1.00 or so more.
    -Christmas Party example : For Contractors to bring say a guest & themselves it's a $100 per person so $100x2 = $200.00 for cocktail party. I thought Christmas party's were free, 1st time I've heard of even remotely having to pay for a Christmas party. Employee's pay $10.00 however they make a big deal about it. EDO days contractors not paid on this day as well as all holidays no pay either. Some companies will pay for holidays.
    -NO benefits (they save money by having over 90% of the company as contractors, also from what I understand after a year as a contractor aren't you suppose to offer FT Perm employment *(Thought this was against the rules of government*)
    -Training is a bit of a joke, sure they train for maybe 2-3 weeks if someone isn't busy. I was told it would take from 6 months -1 year to train me I was gone *contract ended in 4 months, when it took 2 months to get full access, still after 3 months still did not have all access) Making it hard to do job.
    -Safety meetings every week & quarter meetings 2-3 hours or longer ..all meetings mandatory. Plus not to mention suppose to take frequently break like every hour, how can you get your job done when you are taking breaks? A program installed on your computer makes you take breaks very annoying after awhile.
    -Also every week you have to take a safety test before your week starts, 10 min test. 3 times a year also need to take a LPS test as in your co-worker evaluates you for say your walking on the street they follow you & see if you are holding the hand rails on stairs, if your looking both ways to cross the street. I know its a safety organization but 3 times a year? Trying to get paired up with people when they are busy tough to do.
    -Also do not like when contract ended, I had asked about feedback the month before as how I was doing they said I was doing excellent yet then a month later they hired one more person so I thought to replace a guy who left. Then new person their only a week & they ended my contract no communication. Just the rep emailing me 2 hours after I had left work saying contract has been ended. Need to give feedback to contractors to let them know what's going on
    -Politics in the company, everything locked down, they are worried about secrets getting out, unsure as to why?
    -Everything is so locked down it makes even IT Desk side frustrated as we cannot use the tools to help the clients, hands are tied when trying to help clients as only can do so much.
    -Cannot move up in the company or change positions. If you have a degree you may get a FT employee job.
    -Found out was also lied to about becoming permanent in the company.

-Contract is not good as you could be without a job with no benefits ...which do not like. If you worked there for 10 years on contract at the same pay doing the same thing & not moving around would you be happy.
    -One thing I didn't like is when they have fund raisers they hound the everyone to donate even if they cant . Very pushy about donations (they get people to come to your desk to ensure if your donating or not) Found that to be very pushy.
    -Too many projects on the go as if you needed help who would you ask for as a lot of the staff aren't around a lot. Usually on holidays.

Give people a job...too many contractors ...
    Let people move around in company & stop under valuing your contractors
    More training with job shadowing!

Great Place to work but very Black and White

Former Employee - Order Contact DCP in Moncton, NB
    Former Employee - Order Contact DCP in Moncton, NB

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work overall. The people are amazing to work with. Manangement is professional.

Cons

- In Customer Service as a Contractor if you slip up once you can get fired in a split second for anything! To agressive in your email? Fired. Have an opinion? Fired.
    - Word of advice. Never ever attempt to voice your opinion or be agressive in your emails or over the phone.
    - Management is very Black and White. They see the grey area but it doesn't really ever get resolved because of so many other advanced issues.

- Tell your Contractors to be careful with there opionions, and what they say. If they can be fired for saying anything agressive in a email then why employee them?

We have a lot of time off.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Moncton, NB
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Moncton, NB

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We have so much time off because we need it. The company expects a lot. The harder you work the more they expect. They do treat us very well. Hard work, being safe and positivity are important in order to survive in the work place.

Cons

Do not stray from status quo.

Realize that the people who work for you make you look good.

Excellent work experience

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

very disciplined, professional company that is extremely well managed.

Cons

financials drive every decision, difficult to change processes.

stop moving jobs offshore.

Great Pay, Challenging work

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past the company was always a step behind in technology. Always waiting for others to try it first, but in the last 4 years, they have been ahead of pack.

Cons

Working in a large company does not allow an individual the chance to learn outside of their current job role. While I understand Networking, I lack the skills of other components of the infrastructure. There was always another group that handled those, you only had to worry about your piece of the pie.

Keep listening to your employees. They are the core of the organization.

Bureaucracy Supreme

Former Employee - Team Lead - IT in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Team Lead - IT in Toronto, ON

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are above average
    Projects can be very interesting at times

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    Too much politics
    Ranking is a joke
    Distant management

You could do more by giving employees more leeway in doing their work.
    Most management cadres only care about covering their butts.

Good Money, Bad Cause

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-good pay and bonuses
    -lots of resources

Cons

-corruption at upper levels
    -bad cause
    -lots of bureaucracy

Go to hell

Project Controls Analyst

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Decent people, good on a resume, freedom to contribute at your own level expertise

Cons

Too young and inexperienced managers, did not perform duties of job hired for, very American-centric.

Great

Former Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Intern in Ottawa, ON

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern

Pros

really great place to work

Cons

I found no cons at all

nothing