Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz

George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home(in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone is miserable at this point with the biggest issue being work/life balance(in 73 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your(in 24 reviews)

IT is a sweat shop

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- very good salary and benefits
    - high potential if management is changed and true leaders are brought on

Cons- when you compare your salary with how many hours you actually work (versus what's written in the contract), it doesn't look so good anymore
    - no work/life balance
    - ineffective processes
    - management is incapable of making quick decisions, and/or change their mind on a daily basis
    - lack of accountability
    - new processes are not assessed for impact on all stakeholders,
    - lack of employee support from their manager
    - lack of resources to execute on the approved projects
    - reactive organization
    - and so many more

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome Leaders! listen to your employees: they have so many excellent ideas!

Self-absorbed mgmt while employees tirelessly work for customers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN (US)

ProsGreat pay and bonuses.
    The people in the trenches trying to help the customers are hard working and passionate.

ConsMgmt spends it's time trying to figure out how to increase their own pay, cut employee costs, and buy another company.
    Work life balance is a buzz word only. For a company that prints money the benefits (outside of pay) are weak. Just 6 holidays? Company tries to grow thru acquisition instead of improving employees and processes. Loyalty is purchased so workers burn out or get frustrated or both. Contractors are abused.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wouldn't have such a large knowledge gap within your own systems if you spent time helping your employees. Instead of kicking down and kissing up, take responsibility for your failings and make it right. Stop blaming others.

Outgrew Exec Mgmt's capabilities

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPay is competitive, physical work environment is nice. Legacy ESI employees are both knowledgeable & friendly to work with.

ConsBeen in the IT business for 30+ years, worked for other Fortune 50 companies and NEVER witnessed a Sr Mgmt group more in over their heads. With Sr & Exec Mgmt, "The Express Way" is simply a slogan. The "worker bees" practice the philosophy because it's basically mutual respect for fellow employees. Mgmt levels don't even begin to deploy "The Express Way" concepts.

Legacy Medco employees make it clear that those of us in the Midwest are simply just a bunch of "country Bumpkins" who have no idea what we're doing. Mgmt is not only aware of this attitude, they have witnessed it 1st hand, but refuse to correct it. Very disconnetced Mgmt from the Director level and up.

Advice to Senior Management1st and foremost, STOP relying blindly on Legacy Medco staff for advice. I've seen modern IT in action and the technology & processes being utilized on the Legacy Medco systems is severely outdated. There are numerous software pkgs in place on those systems that either have or are approaching End of Life, and of those that aren't many haven't been updated since 2005 ! The Legacy Medco philosophy has been, "if it ain't broke, leave it alone". But in today's IT environment, you CANNOT stay competitive with that attitude.

Bottomline, is that you in Exec Mgmt are being lied to by the Director/Sr Director levels in order to protect "turf". Just as was discovered with the client tier migrations that were conducted throughout 2013, the real results were NOT as rosy as the picture you were being painted.

It would be to your advantage to have the Software Vendors present you with exactly what levels you are sitting at, and stop relying on Directors with skin in the game. If you don't, you are going to find yourselves sitting in the unenviable position of broken systems that you don't have support for any longer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the same as Medco

Senior PCA (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a fairly easy job taking customer calls.The pay will now be the same as other customer service jobs in the same field.

ConsThis company only looks for cost savings and does not handle situations logically. I previously worked for Medco before Express Scripts purchased them and Medco paid a much higher salary, had better benefits and was more concerned with getting things handle properly as opposed to looking out for profits first then the patient.

Destructive/Debilitating Performance Evaluation Process

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits package is slightly above-average relative to the industry. Annual bonus payouts can be generous based on individual and organizational performance.

ConsMost of the negative feedback I'd like to share revolves around the annual performance evaluation process, which forces the workforce into Stretch (20%), Target (70%) and Threshold (10%) categories. As a people leader, I was constantly fighting with Sr. Leadership to keep my staff from receiving a Threshold rating, just because Sr. Leadership needed to fill up the Threshold "bucket". Several years in a row, I was forced to rate certain of my direct reports as Threshold performers, even though I recommended them to receive Target or Stretch ratings. This system prevents employees from being fairly and accurately evaluated, and leaves employees feeling that, no matter how hard they work, the forced ranking system dictates your performance outcome, not your actual performance. Every Manager I knew felt the same way. This totally dysfunctional system breeds an excessive, unnecessary level of competition among colleagues, and others simply lose their desire to do a good job. For years, I thought ESI represented the culture of modern corporate America, and that any Fortune 100 company would likely hold similar values. Now that I'm working for another Fortune 100 company, I can say with confidence that ESI is the exception, and that there are still large American corporations willing to put employees first. ESI is a miserable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaz is the biggest proponent of the broken performance evaluation process in the organization. His executive staff needs to buck up and work to help him understand how debilitating the current system is, and propose alternative methods for more accurately assessing and rewarding employees for their endless, thankless work.

Decent job until the merge with Medco

Prescription Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros401-k company match////no lay-offs during recession

ConsUpper management not concerned with promise to client companies //very poor concern to provide customers with promises after obtaining client companies//values are only impressive on paper

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not interested in receiving valuable advise from employees.

Good Intentions, Failed Execution

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood Salary, Good Benefits, Strong sense of unity, good value prop, most people who work for Express Scripts are highly skilled, and want to do well. Strong mid level leadership.

ConsSilo-ed approach to problem solving, Grown too big to adequately sustain strong customer focus. True concern for member and client experience has taken a back seat to clinical innovation and grabbing for more market share. There is a "culture of fear". Most employees are afraid to ask, tell of share, and most of the time the person who matters (leadership) is too busy to actively listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your clients, and focus on making things easier for patients. A better patient experience generally means happier clients, and thus happier ESI employees. Anyone can make something complex...the challenge is to make something simple and reliable.

They bought my former employer (Medco), and drove them into the ditch!

Attorney (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ (US)

ProsThe work life balance was good. I rarely had to take work home with me. The pay was appropriate, and I do like the PTO bank as opposed to separate days for sick / personal, etc.

ConsIf you work out of the Franklin Lakes New Jersey facility, there is a good chance you could finish your entire career without ever feeling safe in your job. The layoffs have been stretched out over a period of years and show no signs of abating. They also LOVE to micro-manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees! The ones who don't work in St. Louis want to like you, but you make it difficult by alternatively ignoring and firing them.

Poor Work Culture

Business Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) Mason, OH (US)

ProsCompensation is about average. The normal health, vacation, and other benefits are comparable. There are possibilities for improvement.

ConsOffice culture is so much cover your behind. The mantra there seems to be to deflect, deny or disprove anything that might be considered constructive criticism. They also seem to drive their individual contributors too hard, and don't provide an adequate work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil the culture changes, and this company becomes more about it's member's experiences, instead of the bottom dollar, this company will likely keep losing business, unless they keep buying other PBMs.

Sweat shop

Director, Operations (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood people for the most part. The politics are rampant. Also, a lot of need for improving processes. You have processes stepping on each other all the time.

ConsAll "type A" personalities - if you are not one, it's hard to succeed. They work you like a dog. In January, don't expect to get a day off for several weeks.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!