Express Scripts

Updated 18 August, 2014

2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

IT is a sweat shop

Current Employee - IT Project Manager
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager

Pros

- very good salary and benefits
    - high potential if management is changed and true leaders are brought on

Cons

- when you compare your salary with how many hours you actually work (versus what's written in the contract), it doesn't look so good anymore
    - no work/life balance
    - ineffective processes
    - management is incapable of making quick decisions, and/or change their mind on a daily basis
    - lack of accountability
    - new processes are not assessed for impact on all stakeholders,
    - lack of employee support from their manager
    - lack of resources to execute on the approved projects
    - reactive organization
    - and so many more

Become Leaders! listen to your employees: they have so many excellent ideas!

Poor employee managament

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros

Its a fast and rapid pace work environment - get it done is the norm here. Plenty of projects with lots of work and deadlines throughout the organization. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Organization is not really employee focused and the culture treats employees as dispensable. The employee attrition and churn are extremely high and there is not long term focus on personal growth.

Better employee management program.

Too big, too fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

Pros

Reasonable pay. Nice facility. Comfortable and ergonomic workstations. The Tampa location in an old mall has convenient access to child care, food court, and fitness center.

Cons

The company let too much of the experienced management go. Inexperienced supervisors are repeating mistakes that were tried years ago.
    Morale is very low.
    The Tampa site is controlled by power-hungry old women who do not seek input from their subject matter experts. Decisions are made based on a whim or what will be best for them personally - with little concern about the impact on the business.

Start thinking about the employee more and the money less or you will lose the rest of your good people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prescription Benefits Specialist

Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Specialist  in  Mason, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Specialist in Mason, OH (US)

Pros

Pay, hrs, possibility of getting off phones by volunteering to assist new hires and other peers.

Cons

Working blended. On phone nonstop. Work life balance.

Work life balance / 4 -10 hr shifts with 3 days off ( at least one day being a week day to get Dr's appointments an other errands that can't be done on weekends.

Not bad, very different culture than what I was use to at Medco.

Pros

Great commute, great pay (previously from Medco).

Cons

Feel like St Louis staff has it out for you for making so much more money because we are from the east.

It's not normal to lose so many VP's and Sr. Directors in IT when you are a Fortune 20 company. Time for a new CIO and CEO.

The brave new ESI ( aka MEDCO really took over ?)

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

enjoy working with the adults in my site, whether hourly or salaried ...the work life balance is getting better somewhat. the MORALE is finally being paid attention to ..at legacy ESI sites we are are open to changes for the better .. not sure about the other side ...after 10 years almost happy with my pay and quite happy with my time off accrual rate .. great stock plan and 401K .. and even with the thing i have concerns about ... not even remotely ready to leave the company... i want to stick around and see what happens ..we continue to change and evolve and i want to see what the 'finished' product is in say about 2016

Cons

Extreme LACK OF COMMUNICATION So what really happened.is what i would like to know .. we were told we bought Medco.. then the packaging pretty much said we merged with them.. now it feels nothing like that .. but more of a takeover ... thought we as a company were taking the best of both sides... but i don't see that .. just feels like we are becoming Medco... and frankly Medco didn't handle things well enough to continue on their own which is why we paid cash for them right? .. so give legacy West some love and attention and look at some of our best practices rather than go arrogantly through the day and think you don't have to implement some changes or how about basically appreciating that we saved your a$$ets from bankruptcy; oh and only legacy Medco people seem to be being promoted up at this time ... all the new names and faces are not coming from the legacy ESI side .. for example my Sr Director just stopped coming to work .. now we have a new interim one who is legacy MEDCO.. maybe she is going to get to know our ESI side of things but I'm not as hopeful as i used to be about that

much more transparency is needed ... from the top to the bottom. my sr director just stopped coming to work and no one said why and truly she was long term ESI ..... gave me hope that the good parts of both companies would survive.. but it would appear that possibly that is no longer true. .. however ive been here too long and given too much to my site to quit now... and you all need to recognize that from the the top floors of STL an Franklin Lakes an BLM to the back doors in ORL and TEM LVN .. you need to begin to really listen to your long term employees and appreciate them we are the ones who hve gotten us to where we are today to be able to afford a merger like this.... dont pretend to listen and do things really do it... George should make the time to meet with hourly and lower level salaried leaders across the enterprise.. not just in STL and get a good view of how things really are and not depend on some survey to tell him what he might want to know.. cause anyone knows you can make stats say what you want them to say ....oh and when it comes to training when you are creating it .. ask the front line leaders about it before you implement it

Overall ok experience

Pros

Servicing Patients is very rewarding.

Cons

Work life balance is poor

Need to focus on your People as a key constituent

Overall good

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

Got scheduled breaks, and a lunch. Started at a certain time and ended at a certain time.

Cons

Not much flexibility in what you did each day

Have shifts in more than 2 areas per day

I really left work every day with a sense of accomplishment, feeling like I had helped people.

Pros

The pay was good, great bonus system, and for the most part, the work was fast-paced and interesting.

Cons

The calls come in back to back. If you have a bad call, you have about 5 seconds to shake it off.

overall a okay experience

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Pros

the schedule and the time off

Cons

don't care about the patient

care about your staff

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!