Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off(in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers(in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it(in 54 reviews)

N/A

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

Prosflexible shifts, fine clothing, store is pretty organized, on time lunch breaks and respect ones religious values.

Conskeep hiring new staff instead of giving shifts to existing employees, the discount doesnt apply to clearance/sale items, some rude managers, and doesnt contribute to providing snacks on boxing day/black Friday.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to retain employees.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) London, ON

ProsWork in a fun environment with nice coworkers
    Be proactive
    Employee discount

Consyou don't get enough shift

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palm Desert, CA (US)

ProsFlexible scheduling, great discounts, & awesome management.

ConsWorking with some grouchy fellow employees or customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. Loved my managers!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

Part Time Sales Lead (Current Employee)

Prospromotions, easy to move up in the company if you have the dedication to do so, many opportunities to take advantage of,

Conshard to get time off, company made employees ineligible for Express Next (loyalty program)

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my district manager, she is great to work with and and always available to help when you need her too.

Lots of job opportunities if you work hard

Brand Co-Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsThere is a ton of energy in all the stores and being able to work with people with the same fashion and passions makes work fun. There seems to always be an opportunity to move up or learn a new division of responsibility which makes consistent growth a plus.

ConsMinimum wage is expected at an entry level job however the tasks and energy needed for success here is more then that. Express needs to offer their associates above minimum wage to help keep associate retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlanning is difficult in this brand so being proactive versus reactive can be a challenge. My recommendations is to communicate to the store level in a more efficient and timely manner.

Express has good leaders

District Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThey have lots of incentives and bonus's.

ConsLong hours and not a lot of time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give more payroll to stores to be sucessful.

Felt Like Home

Customer Service (Former Employee) Canoga Park, CA (US)

Prosyou receive an outstanding discount out of the gate. basically to build your wardrobe because they do want you to wear their clothing.

ConsIt can get pretty busy and you'll have to multitask to the fullest!

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Good Minimum wage Job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsPay is acceptable and hours are flexible.

ConsWork is hard, benefits aren't good, and managers are very concerned with sales figures.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits to employees would be nice, 35% on non-sale items isn't very good. Also, it would help moral and frankly help get sales members excited if managers concentrated on what upwelling can do for customers, not just what they can do the company. So for instance, instead of saying, "You should suggest that every woman tries on a Portofino shirt so we make our ADS," the manager could say, "Our Portofino shirts are super popular and every woman loves them, you should make sure that our customers are trying them on, who knows, one of the women may love it and buy three!"

Working at express was a positive experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe interview/hiring experience for me was very simple. Managers appreciated hard work. This was my first retail job and I learned a lot, although I doubt I will use much of what I used in the future. Promotions seemed available for coworkers of mine.

ConsPaid very little over minimum wage. Had one experience where a manager from another store was coming in to open, and was an hour late. Management seemed disorganized. Hours were posted on a week to week basis, and employes had little to no say. Sometimes I was asked to stay later after having already worked 9 hours. There was a lot of pressure from managers (who communicated VIA wireless headsets) to reach our goals during the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpress seemed to have a high turnover rate. I would appreciate more loyalty between the company and employees.

Great

Part Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) Coralville, IA (US)

ProsNice Clothes.
    Nice Atmosphere.
    Good people. Really fun atmosphere. I liked working there a lot and I loved getting deals on hip and trendy clothing that actually looks nice.

ConsSome of the clothes shrinker in hot water. Also, there is no commission. I wish I could've been rewarded for being a great salesman. Although, I wasn't rewarded fiscally, I was rewarded with encouragement and community culture, so that was a plus. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe allow for Commision.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!