Esri

Esri Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Esri President Jack Dangermond

Jack Dangermond

Pros:
  • "Lazy work env thus great work-life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great benefits and time of for new parents"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No career path will be laid out for you"
    in 12 reviews
  • "No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A lot of smart, innovative people

I worked at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStaying on the cutting edge of the GIS industry, supportive of learning new things

ConsA poor manager can last forever and be a big road block, short on vacation

Worth it

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, profit sharing, fulfilling work, great owner, awesome people to work with, mature management, good life/work balance, if something isn't good or working, it gets fixed or changed.

ConsYou need self confidence and to be a self-starter, you may find yourself left on your own to make a difference. California management culture may be difficult for some to understand.

great stable company

Sales Operations (Former Employee)
Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsEstablished and stable company. No worries about layoffs. Nice cafe and perks on site.

ConsThe salaries are typically lower than the industry standard. Not very easy to move from department to department in different roles. So the career growth is limited.

It's a refreshing place to work

I have been working at Esri

ProsBenefits. Profit sharing. Campus in redlands is beautiful. Lots of autonomy. Nice computer equipment.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement because it's a flat organization. Corporate is involved in too May decisions. They need to let go and trust management to lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees. Jack...trust your employees to do what is right. :) we care a about the company just as much as you do!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Product Engineer in Software Development Department

Product Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible working hours
Various training catalogs/ courses
Plenty opportunities for conference/ workshop
Independent working office/ environment
Easy to reach working/ life balance

ConsDifficult in internal transition between departments
Raise is hard to bump up even with high performance, unless transfer to different positions

Advice to Senior ManagementShould share more general/ future prospective during meetings.

Stable company but wasteful

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFinancially stable, nice campus, modern facilities and equipment

ConsShifting vision and priorities, poor management, underlying environment of tension and fear

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time talking and listening to employees dissatisfaction with changing priorities and lack of responsiveness from management.

Contractors Beware

Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAt the team level you will work with talented, smart, and motivated folks that care about their career and the work you do. Teams usually have a greater sense of family than the HR department.

ConsRecruiters and HR will change policies and will get rid of contractors that ask too many questions. I would suggest anyone that is working with a recruiter beware the lunches, the follow ups are nothing more than information gathering points. These people do not care about you and often times will tell you in the worse case scenarios "there's always better opportunities" even if you really want the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJack, if you care about the teams at Esri and the people who really want to work there, fix the HR department and the way contractors are treated. There is no excuse for the lying and the mistreatment of contractors who really want a job with Esri.

This company is full of disappointment

I have been working at Esri full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay structure used allows employee to make extra compensation when underpaid hourly they can make it up by working extra hours.

ConsPoor Leadership. Very old school. Micromanage everything. no work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out your senior leadership. They are sub-par across the board. I've never witnessed such poor senior management. Not a lot of faith in the leadership of any of the senior executives.

Zero Growth

I worked at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you want to be lazy and just coast by you'll fit right in with everyone else.

ConsIncompetent, unqualified coworkers and zero chance for growth internally. No incentive for hard work.

Be Prepared to Be Manipulated, Underpaid, and Silent

Follower of Esri's Orders (Former Employee)

I worked at Esri full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGIS. Paid Healthcare. Casual.

ConsMany benefits are held. Yours, but not yours. "Unique environment" is code for : Even the sales people moonlight to pay their bills to get ahead while working for a billionaire who underpays them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up. HR has serious anger and control issues. Management should smile once in awhile. The reputation of the company proceeded us. That "used to be" a good thing.

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!

Esri Videos

Esri – Why Work for Us?

Esri is the world leader in geographic information system (GIS) software development. Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s GIS technology enables… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Esri reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Esri CEO Jack Dangermond. All 186 reviews are posted anonymously by Esri employees.