Esri

Updated 26 February, 2015
3.2

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine (in 18 reviews)

• No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of smart, innovative people

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staying on the cutting edge of the GIS industry, supportive of learning new things

Cons

A poor manager can last forever and be a big road block, short on vacation

Good place to work in the Inland Empire

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, good people, and it's the only big software company in the Inland Empire

Cons

Changes are constantly happening in some departments that make it difficult and rather discouraging at times.

The rock star workers quickly are noticed, don't just reward good work with more work...think promotions, payment increases.

Smart People.. rewarded for hard work

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Surrounded by talent, stable, family oriented, great work culture

Cons

Unclear career path for technical resources, painful entry process (not always bad as it helps vet the applicants)

Feb 25, 2015

Thank you for recognizing some of Esri’s core strengths! We take pride in our commitment to hire the most qualified candidates to join the Esri team. Being a flat organization can sometimes lead to ... More

Things are going downhill fast.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a great mission; conservation, saving the planet, you get the drift. The work is interesting, if you're into GIS, geography, maps, spatial analysis, etc. Most customers are great to work with, although selling into new markets can be a challenge with the people/organization has no previous exposure to geospatial technology.

Cons

There are VERY few career advancement career growth opportunities. Raises are not tied to personal or company performance. Expect a 0-4% raise, if you're lucky. Management is very old school, top down, dictatorial. There's a lot of weird covert operations happening in the management ranks, at all times. Communication is terrible very secretive, contrived, controlled, choreographed. Everything you do is monitored. There is no turnover amongst the management ranks which causes severe cronyism. The company nickels and dimes it's employees with travel expenses/per diem. If you're in sales you're not allowed to expense client dinners - no matter what!

It's time to turn over the reigns, Jack and Laura. You've done a great job so far but the writing is on the wall. Maybe go start a foundation like Bill G. and let that be your vehicle to pursue your very admirable life's work. It's time to get out of the way and let the industry advance.

Feb 25, 2015

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback. As you mentioned, we are very proud of the work we do. As we continue to grow, we are recognizing areas that need to be strengthened. An important goal ... More

good company to work forever

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flex time, relaxed environment,job security

Cons

low hourly pay, no stock options, fewer vacation days than industry standard

Very nice place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Excellent coworkers, customer oriented work is very interesting and you can learn a lot when the opportunity comes by.

Cons

Average pay, not a whole lot of upward mobility, management not geared towards supporting younger generation trends or growth

Need more dynamic young blood

Jan 28, 2015

We agree that part of what makes Esri a great place to work is interacting with incredible organizations and seeing how they’re using our technology. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are ... More

Low pay but stable

I worked at Esri

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Low pay and few chances for advancement

Great Place to End Your Career

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

-Great Technology for Power Users and Business Partners
    -Great Benefits
    -Financially Stable
    -Internal Travel Agency
    -Training Opportunities (software and professional)
    -No real expectations for outstanding performance

Cons

-Pay is 20-40 percent below market for similar positions. Stay here too long and people wonder if you are crazy.
    -Hourly pay is abused by so many, particularly senior staff. No accountability
    -Account Managers are treated like outside sales, but there are no commissions or bonuses
    -Annual raises are around 2%.
    -Incentive to get things done quickly is not there; no sense of urgency
    -There are zero opportunities for advancement. You are pigeon holed the day you are hired.
    -Company lacks a long term business strategy and vision.
    -Most senior leaders came from government and lack the business knowledge (not responsible for profit/loss) to grow the company. Serious leadership issues.

-Transition to a salary based pay structure.
    -Adjust pay accordingly
    -Bring in new senior talent with real world business experience that know how to build organizations
    -Look at incentive pay options, even if it means reducing company contributions. Reward those that produce.
    -Push down profit and loss to individual industry managers; make them accountable!
    -Promote those that produce/eliminate those that don't

Esri is losing market share daily as a result of a senior management team that lacks the vision and abilities to take it to the next level. It is truly sad to watch. If Jack had a competent management team below him, he wouldn't have to make all of the decisions. And unfortunately, not all of Jack's decisions are correct, but those below him would never tell him. They are just waiting him out until they retire.

Rewarding Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The people are incredible to work with and our benefits are excellent - not only for employees but spouses and families as well.
    Our software really allows people to make a positive difference and that is a rewarding feeling.
    Redlands is a great town that is very family oriented and away from the "rat race".

Cons

Being a campus of a couple thousand people I understand that it is difficult to have large scale interactions...that being said, there are little to no opportunities for employees (who move to Redlands from around the world) with similar interests -- both personally and professionally-- to network.

Continue strongly pushing for communication to be more transparent throughout the entire company and support
    forums that allow employees to engage internally.

Jan 20, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are working on an initiative that will allow employees to network with each other in an open, fun environment. This will be a great way for ... More