Equifax
www.equifax.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Equifax Reviews

Updated Apr 02, 2014
Equifax – West Des Moines – “Datavision now Equifax office 4300 Westown Prkwy”

Equifax Chairman and CEO Rick Smith

Rick Smith

Pros:
  • "They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Stable company with good benefits"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "CEO and senior management are bullies and needs a lesson in humility"
    in 12 reviews
  • "lack of transparency from upper management, hard work and talent does not get rewarded"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Adequate company that may be too diverse with its products for its own good

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Equifax full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, relaxed company culture, friendly employees. There seemed to be room for growth, although management reorganization happened quite frequently.

ConsCompany is so large and has acquired so many different smaller companies that keeping up-to-date with its products is next to impossible. There isn't enough education between departments, so selling these other solutions to clients was confusing and made you look like you didn't know what you were talking about (because most of the time you didn't). If you did manage to sell something other than your main product, getting it implemented is a whole different set of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen lines of communication between departments so that cross-selling is easier.

Good place to work

I have been working at Equifax full-time

ProsProfitable company with clear visibility into your salary and bonus potential

ConsCompany is conservative and slow to invest in new and innovative ideas

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Equifax

ProsGood pay and benefits, good business model

ConsLacks leadership in some area

This is a Great Place to Work

Clerical (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a Great Place to Work

ConsNeed more opportunities for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work!

Yeah, maybe

Senior Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat data to analyze: if you want "big data", Equifax has it. Really smart co-workers, some of whom will bend over backwards to be helpful.

ConsSales/revenue-driven company to exclusion of all else. Management continually re-organizing. Maintaining stock price is paramount. Long term plans sound good but appear to lack the "voice of data customer": management 'sees' the future but doesn't hear the voice of employees actually using/working with the data.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you'd only listen to the people working with the data, you'd know a lot more about EFX's potential. As it is, management appears to hear only what it wants to hear.

IXI, A division of Equifax – a growth company that is now a wind down

McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStill a few dedicated employees that are struggling along and a steady paycheck

ConsBasically Equifax is cutting costs to increase profits without increasing sales at the detriment of long term growth. The IXI president is full of himself but is actually clueless about the business model. Most of the employees are currently looking to leave leading to a lot of attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless you are fine with a dying business either sell IXI or find new management

Be ready to feel used and always afraid of losing your job

Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Equifax as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe remodel has made the work space much more pleasant, bright and useful. If you happen upon one of the few "good" bosses, you can learn a lot, and have opportunities to prove your abilities and advance.

ConsIf you get stuck with a bad boss, you will spend every single day wondering when you'll be let go. You will never be listened to, you will be accused and used as a scapegoat to the boss' superiors. You will never have an opportunity to advance, no matter how hard you work, and worst of all, you won't be able to move to a different department because your boss' approval is necessary.

This company no longer does direct hiring with rare exception. They use contractors like slaves (working just like an employee, but to a higher standard of performance, no benefits, no job security and considerably lower pay). Contractors are left out of important meetings, they are not recognized for individual or team achievements, they are left off of company-wide invitations to things as trivial as parking-lot cookouts and department contests and games On the rare occasion that lunch is catered for the *entire building,* contractors are not invited (and expressly told not to eat!!) even though these contractors may have worked with the company for a year or more, If there are leftovers, managers may tell the contractors to go forage for the scraps. This is not an exaggeration. This actually happened to me and several of my teammates in our department. (And let me further explain: we work beside and with employees, on the same work, all the time. We are indistinguishable from employees, except for the fact that we are paid from an agency.)

Equifax subscribes to the LEAN business concept, which means that they are constantly piling more work on fewer and fewer employees and contractors, then laying off or firing the unnecessary workers, then occasionally calling them back after a few months of drowning in work overflow.

In the last round of layoffs and firings in my old department, the least tenured employee laid off had been with Equifax for eight years. The rest had been with the company for at least 20 years and had moved to GA from NY when their jobs relocated years ago.

The work environment is super high stress because you're being monitored ALL of the time. Not only is your work and computer use understandably scrutinized, but the walls have ears; meaning that if you want to have a conversation that is not monitored and/or recorded, you have to go to a certain corner of the employee cafe. You'll know it when your boss takes you there to talk about something that might help you, but which she can't be caught saying.

This company has zero loyalty. They foster the very worst kind of corporate atmosphere. Truly, they are a machine where employees (even departmental directors) are unhappy and insecure in their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it's even worth my time to offer advice to management, partly because they are often under the same pressures as the employees, but also because, even if they care, they are essentially powerless to make changes. All directives trickle down from the upper, upper management and when a director has any latitude, it is tempered by LEAN demands, which stifle all creativity, process improvements (beyond firing/laying off), innovations, and significant changes.

Account Manager/Client Relationship Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Equifax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCurrently have the freedom to work from home however I believe this may be changing.

ConsPay has decreased year over year for the past 3 years (I have lost 7k between 12-13 alone, others have lost in upwards of 15-20k) while we are having record breaking profits year over year for past 3 years. Upper management changes comp. plan last quarter of the year 2013 to remove bonus that was being exceed and replace with one that would not reach a payout goal. This has been very frustrating for all. They push transparency and delighting clients yet they do not do the same for their employees. They never completely inform us of our goals nor show us where we are with them. Benefit cost have double since 2011 with less coverage. I use to pay $185 for medical/dental/vision in 2011 on a family plan and for the same coverage in 2014 I would have to pay $420. If you work in a remote office the chance of you moving into another role is very small no matter what your performance is. Managers give across the board pay increase regardless of your true performance. This is very discouraging to those who have met and exceed goals. All goals are now team based in 2014 to remove the top performers from reaching max payouts. Although this company continues to grow in record breaking profit they are not willing to share the profits with the frontline employees as a matter of fact they are trying everything they can to remove bonuses from being met by setting goals they know cannot be met. If they are being met they change the game before they have to payout. Annual bonus have drop to a quarter of what they were in 2012. Quarter bonus are for the most part obsolete.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your own advice! Be transparent and delight your employees like you ask us to do for our clients. Share the wealth! Record breaking profits but huge decrease in bonus/commissions for your employees, 2 or 3 percent increase in pay for top producing employees during these record breaking years.....seems like someone is lining their pockets, pursues and bags off the awesome efforts of your non-management employees-frontline employees. Not sure if it is our CEO and his right-hand men/women or if it is management but someone is keeping our money for themselves..someone may want to investigate before all your top performers find a company that will share the wealth of our hard earned efforts!!!!

Some interesting work, but fighting the bureaucracy is tiring sometimes.

I have been working at Equifax full-time

ProsIt is a stable place to work. People who start tend to stay for a long time. There is internal mobility, in that you can switch jobs. They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance. The culture is a traditional 9-5.

ConsThere are limited opportunities for moving up due to the fact that people don't leave very often, and there is not a lot of growth. Bureaucracy is difficult to work with in a lot of cases, especially legal.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in current technology initiatives.

VP Technology

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Equifax full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent leadership team with great financial discipline

ConsMiddle management is not empowered

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce number of senior executives and create more empowerment in the ranks

Worked for Equifax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Equifax reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Equifax CEO Rick Smith. All 169 reviews are posted anonymously by Equifax employees.