Environmental Resources Management

Updated 27 August, 2014

2.8

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander
John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects (in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to learn, but not to stay - top heavy.

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is involved in a lot of global projects with some noteworthy clients, so there is work with professionals with different backgrounds from all over the world. The project scopes and clients vary, and you are able to learn a lot of different things in different sectors. For the most part, there are a lot of smart people who are willing to provide guidance, feedback and insight on your work. It is safe to say, that the majority of the people you work with make your work day.

Cons

There does not seem to be a succession plan or a development path, as it appears that all junior level employees are easily replaceable. There's no room to grow as a junior level employee; it seems like only senior level consultants and partners are hired in order to drum up business with new clients - this leads to a logjam at the top, and nobody moves up. The ultimate focus is on being billable, but with the bill rates being so high, it is difficult to spend time to learn your craft, which causes very high stress situations. As sr. managements focuses on retaining clients, it seems project managers are placed on projects where they have no technical expertise in, causing for confusion and panic.

When it gets busy, the office becomes hectic and stressful, with unrealistic timelines due to the high bill rates and low budget provided (done to stay competitive with the rest of the industry). However, when business is slow, there is a fight for precious billable hours, and menial work is assigned. In both scenarios, the goal is to be as billable as possible, which leads to a tense work environment and low employee morale.

It appears that the salary is not competitive with industry standard, but the promise of "raises and bonuses" make them competitive - not exactly true as voiced by other reviews here.

Develop junior staff and from within, and invest in the futures with the company - it may seem like hiring from the outside is quicker an d better, but in the long run, this may prove to be a negative. Provide them with opportunities to learn their craft and hone their skills. Provide opportunities for staff to grow, instead of just typecasting them to one specific type of work.

Best Environmental Consultancy

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Technical Exposure, Amazing working environment, Flexible Work Life balance

Cons

Work Life Balance & Compensation

Great place to work in with challenging and interesting projects

Former Employee - Intern  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are a variety of projects to work on which will allows you grow your knowledge, skills and experience. Great colleagues and mentors made the whole experience a positive one.

Cons

I did not come across any cons in the time I worked there. On the whole, I thought that the management was approachable and receptive to feedback.

As aforementioned, I have a generally good opinion of the management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Global vision of the company is good, Atlanta office not so good

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

Pros

As a global firm, this is a good place to get experience working on a variety of projects. They are very safety conscious and encourage employees to be aware of surroundings when working offsite. They give money to help environmental programs overseas. I definitely was impressed by the leadership outside of the Atlanta office. They really seemed to want to get junior staff plugged into cutting edge projects.

Cons

Leadership in Atlanta would refuse to communicate with staff, local HR representative told me very blatantly that I was "a trouble maker" for asking for constructive criticism and bringing up gender/salary questions. Many people left the same year I did because local leadership performed unethically and made allowances for behaviors by staff which was offensive and against corporate policies. They expect you to be "100%" billable which means working in excess of 50 hours or more. In December I worked two 80 hour weeks and was not given a day off or compensated financially afterwards.

Your Atlanta office has received negative reviews during private surveys. However, when people offer suggestions to make things better, we have been punished. That is not the way to retain employees nor does it bring out the best in staff. Stop covering up for office managers and HR staff who you know have performed badly.

Sweatshop with Disfunctional Management and Culture

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects that provide technical challenges, decent benefits consistent with other large public companies, decent work environment, support staff that wants to be helpful.

Cons

Ineffectual management with unrealistic demands and expectations, poor quality work product, very risk-adverse company perspective, management greed is at the expense of the workers, burdensome policies and procedures, unrealistic company growth metrics, high staff turnover (> 17%), several (but not all) management in western division exhibit questionable ethics and will lie to you and others to meet their personal objectives, no continuity with project teams and staffing due to high attrition and pressure to be billable, performance metrics used to deny and punish rather than reward and motivate. Worst place I have ever worked; management cannot be trusted.

Pressure on individuals to meet sales goals creates competitive atmosphere among coworkers leading to staff doing what is best for them, and not what is in the best interest of clients or the company.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

-Great team
    -Friendly atmosphere in the London office, I had a global role where I regularly interacted with people from all levels, and I found that everyone was always extremely welcoming, willing to help, and down to earth, regardless of seniority.
    -Genuinely flexible working hours

Cons

-Be prepared to put in a lot of hours!

Pleasant Company to work with, and working environment. I've maintained my relationships.

Former Employee - Consultant Level I
    Former Employee - Consultant Level I

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and encouraging atmosphere. Pleasant-natured work and work place. Efficient and centralized work systems. Provide adequate resources. Acknowledged career development

Cons

some corporate bureaucracy and passing the buck. Although the atmosphere and general quality of professional engagement varies from office to office and from person to person.

Engage directly wherever possible, passing the buck often results with a lower value outcome.

Working in sustainability proves unsustainable

Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Environmental Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

- One of the more accommodating companies I've worked for with regards to working remotely.
     - Office building is in a super convenient location for public transit, and an unlimited Orca (public transit) card is provided.
     - Colleagues are hard-working and smart.

Cons

- In order to meet your "billability goals" (huge in consulting) you'll be working unpaid overtime. (Potentially lots of it)
     - Sick time counts against you. While it's part of a benefits package, in order to meet your billability goal, you'll have to make that time up with, you guessed it, unpaid overtime.
     - There's little or no incentive to working efficiently, you'll still have to find work to fill those hours. (Even though it's a salaried position, every time card must have 40 hours or more on it.)
     - Even those at the lower levels (CL1, CL2, CL3) who receive bonuses, it's nowhere near compensating for the unpaid overtime spent.
     - Wages are not competitive. The salary I receive is not commensurate with the cost of living in this city. Seattle just passed a $15/hr minimum wage, which, after the unpaid overtime, tracks closely to (and some weeks is greater than) what I take home.

The key to retention is not better training, it's respecting work/home boundaries and not expecting those who work 20 hours over the weekend to still put in 40 hours M-F.

If you're sending someone into the field on your project, it behooves you to ensure they are prepared. Rather than ask them if they've got it all, take a shot at bullet-pointing the different tasks that you expect to be completed. Even better, prepare a field memo of the different tasks. Those PMs who do this are so much easier to work for.

Just think of this - if you're building (on) years of CSM, and the results matter, applying an anxiety iron is not the solution. Instead of "are you ready? Why aren't you ready?", maybe try "here's a list of things I thought would be helpful as you _________(develop wells, collect soil samples, etc)."

Great technically, but too focussed on excessive profit

Former Employee - Environmental Consultant  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Environmental Consultant in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good projects, global networking, opportunity for transfer, cool people.

Cons

Focus on excessively high profit and growth targets result in overworked and frustrated employees. You're either in love with the company and willing to do anything for the partnership's aspirations, or better off elsewhere.

Lower targets and invest in the quality of your employees lives.

No place to build a career

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office location - They are using the office location to attract talent who want to work in trendy downtown Austin. Downtown Austin is a great place to work, lots of walking distance lunch places and always special events going on that you can catch during lunch or after work etc. The open office concept they are going to is great, the offices are big open areas with a telemarketing or customer service call center atmosphere.

Cons

On the other hand once you gain more experience you will realize you are going nowhere. You are either a partner or a worker at ERM. When something goes right the partner takes credit. When something goes wrong its the project manager's fault. You're not allowed to do anything without the partner's approval which is inefficient particularly since they are nonresponsive. They are making a lot of money off the staff and they are ruthless in pushing for higher billability - and you have to find your own work. The staff turnover is high and their business model is ok with that. They plan on you being around for a few years and moving on so that's why they are constantly recruiting. This is no place to build a career. Its just a job for a little while.

This a white collar sweatshop run by an unethical group of partners. They lied about advancement opportunities to get me in the door. Then they dumped a sinking project in my lap that already had significant budget and schedule problems and held me accountable for it in order to protect the partner and his buddy who had run the project into the ground before I was involved. Also, in many years in this field this is the first time that a supervisor tried to coerce me into taking an unethical track to benefit a client. ERM used to be a place that would roll up its sleeves and get the job done but now it is a risk-averse corporation loaded with bureaucracy and "CYA" procedures that keep you from getting anything done and it thrives on smooth and flashy but empty words.

They use salesforce.com religiously as a platform to track clients and marketing efforts and project wins but they don't give licenses to everybody so those with a salesforce license are at an advantage.

no thanks.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!