Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros:
  • "I worked on some of the most interesting projects"
    in 10 reviews
  • "well known company in legal and oil and gas industries"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to learn, but not to stay - top heavy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is involved in a lot of global projects with some noteworthy clients, so there is work with professionals with different backgrounds from all over the world. The project scopes and clients vary, and you are able to learn a lot of different things in different sectors. For the most part, there are a lot of smart people who are willing to provide guidance, feedback and insight on your work. It is safe to say, that the majority of the people you work with make your work day.

ConsThere does not seem to be a succession plan or a development path, as it appears that all junior level employees are easily replaceable. There's no room to grow as a junior level employee; it seems like only senior level consultants and partners are hired in order to drum up business with new clients - this leads to a logjam at the top, and nobody moves up. The ultimate focus is on being billable, but with the bill rates being so high, it is difficult to spend time to learn your craft, which causes very high stress situations. As sr. managements focuses on retaining clients, it seems project managers are placed on projects where they have no technical expertise in, causing for confusion and panic.

When it gets busy, the office becomes hectic and stressful, with unrealistic timelines due to the high bill rates and low budget provided (done to stay competitive with the rest of the industry). However, when business is slow, there is a fight for precious billable hours, and menial work is assigned. In both scenarios, the goal is to be as billable as possible, which leads to a tense work environment and low employee morale.

It appears that the salary is not competitive with industry standard, but the promise of "raises and bonuses" make them competitive - not exactly true as voiced by other reviews here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop junior staff and from within, and invest in the futures with the company - it may seem like hiring from the outside is quicker an d better, but in the long run, this may prove to be a negative. Provide them with opportunities to learn their craft and hone their skills. Provide opportunities for staff to grow, instead of just typecasting them to one specific type of work.

EHS Commodity Sellers

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge size clients. International presence. Some (rare) very highly skilled talent

Cons- Claim to be on the sustainability track = All talk, no nationwide growth strategy, little results. Most senior hires did not last a year before leaving... Huge road blocks internally
- Commodity EHS provider with a squeeze on human resource and very high billable rates.
- Career growth is pathetic, have not learned a thing in 7 years.
- Salaries are miserable and annual bonus are a joke. Expect to get a flat 1-2% per year and a $500 annual bonus if your manager are not promoting your case (12 hours work days efforts for 12 months!)
- Revolving doors at many offices due to poor leadership...

Advice to Senior ManagementVision to become a Billion dollar company is blurring top management. Exploiting people is a good thing but need to give back one way or the other... I have not encountered such bitterness to my other 3 former FT500 employers as much as with ERM...

Hard to believe in a global recognition

Tech Lead (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Prossome senior consultants really do a great job despite the mismanagement, bureaucracy and no administrative support

ConsMy 5 years experience ERM Brazil was definitely very enlightening!

I can not understand the criteria for partner selection: all of them with little or no knowledge about environmental issues and poor leadership.

The unique partner ability that I was could identify was mismanagement.

Rare senior consultants know what they are doing in the midst of so much bureaucracy and mismanagement.

No administrative area features professional work. It is total improvisation all the time. Health and safety is a big scam. Work environment is hostile and hysterical, far from being competitive, and stimulated by partners.

Hard to believe that ERM claims to have a global recognition when I see the same problems in other ERM offices in other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that ERM partners do not hear any advice

Experience with ERM

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management

ProsI have no pros. It's a cheap, terrible company.

ConsI interviewed with this company and didn't get the job, which is fine. But they would not pay my travel expenses so I ate $800! Don't ever, ever interview or work for this company.

A Company with Growing Pains

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros- In more renovated offices, a great working environment.
- In general, great people with good attitudes.
- Ability to work on many interesting projects.
- As a result, gain many valuable skills quickly.
- Corporate is pushing collaboration between offices, countries. Opportunity to work in many locations and with people on a global scale.
- Relatively flexible working hours and locations (from home, from other offices if traveling) if you have the right manager and working group.

Cons- Compensation is very low for the type of company this is. Management claims they perform benchmarking and ERM is on par with competitors, which may be true in the environmental engineering and testing realm. However, as the company grows and performs more management consulting functions their competitors in this realm are at a much higher scale, and employees therefore expect more.

- Very low vacation time.
- Very few USA holidays given to employees. Many bank holidays or government/school holidays are not observed. Problematic for those with kids, but excused as on those days employees typically choose to work from home.
- Typical consulting stress/problems related to billable hours goals.
- Jack-of-all-trades need can get a bit trying. If you're a scientist who is great at science and projects but terrible at selling work, you will not fare well.
- Collaborating with other regions can sometimes be difficult and there may be infighting, as a remnant of the company previously being franchised. Management is trying to discourage this, but it is sometimes still present.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove compensation, continue work encouraging collaboration, re-evaluate vacation time, re-evaluate billable goals and billing rates.

Above average

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects.
Good career progression.

ConsAverage salary and limited benefits.
No Overtime or allowances.

Great Place to work

Accountant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible schedule and great place to work. Full of fun with great people

ConsCompensation should reflect on industry standard

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

ERM has many challenging and interesting opportunities for the right person.

Program Director (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

ProsManagement provides support and encouragement and is willing to take risks.

ConsYou need to be a workaholic

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the people need to have a home life too.

Use your talent!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsERM is a powerhouse, especially in Oil and Gas. They have a lot of very talented consultants worldwide and really know how to help clients solve challenging problems even in remote regions. I worked on some of the most interesting projects.

ConsThe focus is always on the partners. The consultants are treated like cattle that can be used only for the benefit of the company. Little support is provided in training to make consultants better, and the pay is definitely far below the industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from MacDonald's; your most important resources are those that face the client every day. Take care of the consultants, and they will help grow ERM into a multi-billion dollar company!

truth

Intern (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management part-time

Prosgreat environment. Wealth of resources for those that know there way around

Consdifficulty getting time with upper level management.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to develop entry level positions

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Resources Management reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by Environmental Resources Management employees.