Environmental Defense

Add Photos

Fred Krupp

Great company!

I have been working at Environmental Defense

ProsWonderful culture and passionate people

ConsSomewhat elitist, can be hard to move up

Great place to work...except when it's not

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe organization does cool, important stuff.
Most employees are smart and intense and dedicated to making the world a better place.
The organization is focused strategically on getting stuff done.
Risk taking is often supported.
Lots of change.

ConsLots of change.
Long hours and you're always on-call.
Things can go from great to terrible without warning.
Employees are disposable - I saw a number of people who were seemingly solid employees get systematically pushed out. It was an ugly process and people left angry and confused.
Management is spotty. Most managers are subject experts and don't do much managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and manage your talented employees. If someone is on the outs, or if changes are coming, give it to your employees straight.

There has not been a better sense of teamwork in the Development support team but management could use a few pointers.

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time

Prosgreat Development support team. they have great communication with each other, and great sense of teamwork. they are willing to lend a hand when needed, band together to execute projects, and they are not only colleagues but become friends as well. they look out for your best interest along with the best interest of the department to further the success of the company.

ConsDevelopment management team lacks that communication and teamwork. management team cannot articulate their needs, they can only articulate what is wrong after assigning a task without direction.

Advice to Senior Managementneeds better communication and articulation of needs. needs to articulate what is wanted when assigning a task rather than waiting to see a draft and pointing out everything that is NOT wanted. need to make themselves more present and available in the office.

Great, motivated employees--may make too many concessions to business

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat staff (very motivated and well-meaning)
Reasonable work hours
Rewarding work and projects
Welcoming atmosphere for newcomers
Relatively little attention on hierarchy

ConsThis obviously depends on where you fall on the liberal-conservative spectrum, but: I'm a pretty moderate environmentalist and often felt that EDF was making too many concessions to please its business partners. Some of the steps businesses took to reduce emissions were almost too minor to matter.
I'm not sure what the opportunities for growth were; I got the feeling they hired from outside EDF more than from within the organization
Salary--low for entry-level positions (and San Francisco is an expensive city...)

Seems like a cool place to work but do not accomplish much

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work-life balance and generally fun, younger staff, especially in the larger offices. Your experience completely depends on your manager and program. I had some of the best managers and some of the worst. There is no management training for new managers and there are a lot managers managing a lot of people who are not effective managers.

ConsExtreme lack of transparency into human resources, promotions, compensation, and the organization overall. Everything is driven by money. They will do anything for a dollar even compromise project goals. If you do not have money for something new that you want to do then you will not make it past the first conversation with your boss and no one will help you find the money even though there is an entire department dedicated to finding and securing funding for projects. They pride themselves on being "entrepreneurial" which may have been true 20-30 years ago but not any more. This organization operates/acts more like a corporation than a nonprofit. Not the place for someone who wants to do something very different and is very idealogical/passionate. The wasting of resources, time/money, is also unbelievable...extravagant meals, events, salaries, offices, etc. They discuss "diversity" like white ivory-leaguers, they discuss it but do not do anything about it...by far the least diverse (ethnically, economically, socially, experientially) organization I have ever seen or been a part of in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers. Work experience and/or degrees does not automatically make effective managers. Salaries and promotions should not be so disparate and secretive.

Great place to work

Intern (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally nice, passionate people. Everyone is willing to give a helping hand. I enjoyed working with numerous projects during my time there. It was great.

ConsThe pay wasn't great, but what can you expect when you work at a nonprofit. Regardless, I would recommend a job at the EDF to anyone.

Nice organization to work for

I have been working at Environmental Defense

ProsPays well. Get to work independently. Learn a lot about helping organizations improve energy efficiency. Proactive staff. Good for the environment.

ConsHave to pay for expensive training up front. Reimbursed later.

Passionate people, pragmatic enviro ngo, bad salaries and inexistent career development for junior staff

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Environmental Defense full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people that work there are great, passionate and interesting; great colleagues.

Conssalary and lack of carreer development plan

Great EDF Climate Corps Fellowship

EDF Climate Corps Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Defense as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe EDF climate corps fellowship gives graduate students an excellent opportunity to affect change at major companies and organizations around the country

ConsThe application process was very drawn out and slightly disorganized. More communication between the submission of the application and the first interview would have been helpful.

Great learning internship!

Economic Policy Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Work with really smart people
-Given intellectually challenging work
-Interesting weekly lunches with lectures from senior management and outside speakers

Cons-Unpaid internship
-Sometimes given work without quite enough guidance
-Not an easy internship, but overall a very good experience and one that will prepare you for a lot of different types of work down the road

Advice to Senior ManagementMove away from paper mail fundraising. It might work for now, but it comes across as hypocritical and it's more outdated than the fundraising staff thinks.

Worked for Environmental Defense? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Defense reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Environmental Defense CEO Fred Krupp. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by Environmental Defense employees.