Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.0 2,766 reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company values hands-on sales people who are wiling to provide exceptional customer service (in 224 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 159 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 416 reviews)

• If you were to work full time its long hours (730-6) but you never get out at 6 (in 809 reviews)

More Highlights
2,766 Employee Reviews

interview

Management Trainee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

Prosone phone, two face-to-face interviews with the head office and the branche manager. be yourself, be prepared and try to sound and look confident. show some leadership

Consmust know about sales and management. keep relating the job with past experiences

Advice to Senior Managementyou learn a lot so if you want to go to another company, you will have alot under your belt.

Management Trainee

Management Trainee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsFriendly co-workers, good customers service and sales training, promotion from within, discounted employee rental

ConsLong hours, lack of physical and mechanical support, uncompetitive pay

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more on employees, training on vehicles

Branch Manager

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with and a lot of upward mobility opportunities. Management is committed to helping you, as it is in their best interest as well to get you promoted, so there is a huge amount of support from your superiors.

ConsEveryone says it's long hours, but I found that it became normal to work that long so didn't bother me that much. A big frustration I had was that you get paid on fleet growth, but promoted on customer service. So if you have 20 reservations and 12 cars, and you're not allowed to say "sold out" then you're automatically going to upset your customers and hurt your ability to be promoted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enterprise Rental car rental agency. Review with pros and con's of the workplace environment. Salary and bonus.

MID LEVEL MGT (Current Employee)

ProsFast paced with room to advance if you can perform. Sales bonuses can be reached easily with effort. Friendly staff and easy to talk to upper mgt.

ConsDisorganized and slow to react. Inventory often lacking. Staffing issues are frequent. Poor compensation for low level workers. Poor treatment of lower staff on occcation.

BEST Place I have EVER Been Employed At!

Car Detailer (Former Employee) Cambridge, ON

ProsThe staff are great, best co workers ever! The company appreciates their staff. They have get togethers and appreciation days where you just meet with your co workers and have fun! Advancement is encouraged! They literally try to convince you to move up! It's not everyday you find a company who promotes advancement.
    Management was quite good but could have been a little more detailed as to the special terminology they use when training new employees.

ConsThere can be some very annoying and rude customers who are extremely picky about the cleanliness of the vehicles
    Long hours (7am-6pm straight)
    If you don't have a car to get to work - they don't provide you with one.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the training sessions, please train staff on the special terminology used in workplace setting.
    Also for staff who don't have a vehicle to get to work, maybe consider lending them a vehicle to get to and from work. If misuse of the car is a concern, gauge how far the employee lives from work and track mileage and gas usage before the car is signed out then record it when they return to work the next day.

Fun company, terrible working conditions that catch you off guard!

Management Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe people are fun. The company itself stands for something good (family owned, employee advancement, benefits)

ConsWhen they scout you, they promise a LOT. It's a major shock when you start and they tell you your pay rate and what your duties actually are. I didn't want to be one of those entitled post-university grads who think they are too good for the job. So I stuck with it until I couldn't take it anymore, often in tears on my way home for the mess I got myself in and not having the nerve to quit. Here are some highlights from the lowest point in my career-life:

- Hours are incredibly long (7:30am - 6:00pm M-F and every other Saturday). You always start early and always leave late.
    - Pay is so low that when they offer 'Flex Time' to come in late or leave early you actually don't want to because your paycheque will be even worse
    - We have to wash cars in SUITS! Summer, winter, whatever. Salt-stained pants and shoes, forcing you to spend your hard-earned $$$ on more suits. If your branch is too small to have a car prep person, then you bet your bottom you'll be out there cleaning them yourself, sweating, freezing (in the winter) and then you are supposed to come back inside with a smile and shake a customer's hand
    - The push for branch profitability meant we were always understaffed which makes the job even worse. Imagine coming in at 7:30am on a Monday with 25 reservations and ZERO cars to offer. The feeling of stress made my heart palpitate ... very unhealthy feeling and totally not worth it. I would honestly rather a job at Wal Mart!

Advice to Senior ManagementNew hires should make a LOT more money. $1-$2 over minimum wage will NOT help us pay down the university debt (especially when a degree/diploma is required to get the job).

Overworked, underpaid.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsI've always had great managers that were supportive and want to get me promoted. There are always many opportunities, particularly for assistant and branch managers. It's an extremely fast paced environment where you can learn a lot in a short period of time.

ConsNo matter how long you work there, or what position you are promoted to, you will always work long strenuous hours either 7:30am-6pm, or 8-6pm. The absolute best hours in the company are in the accounting department which is 8-5pm. Salary is not competitive when factoring in these long hours. Many jobs could be the work of two people, however all responsibility is piled onto one person. Zero work life balance. Enterprise is great at finding the hardest working people out there and exploiting them.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnterprise needs to be unionized to standardize the amount of work that each employee and each position is responsible for. Many employees are overworked and this is the expectation. Taking breaks is an HR requirement, but of course if an employee is overworked and their performance is affected, they work through their lunches. In the branches, lunch breaks are completely sporadic and may or may not ever happen. Some days you are starving but you are too busy working to notice.

Not what I expected. Get your experience then get out!

ProsCo-workers are great. Excellent training program. Valuable customer service and business administration experience.

ConsNo work/life balance. Long hours. Initial salary is terrible. Redundant and contradictory company policies. Lots of broken promises. Sales matrix is too easy to manipulate.

ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED you will do 3 people's work for 1 persons wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the lip service and keep promises you make to employees.

Hire support staff. This is the worst job market in 4 generations. The talent is out there, ready and willing to work.

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-great tools for success
    -room for growth within the company that allows for a long stable career
    -great company culture and values, employees were great to work with. I enjoyed my time here.

Cons-sometime the balance between work and play are off set

Friendly, exciting, good foot-in-the-door

Management Intern (Former Employee) Fredericton, NB

ProsGives good experience, huge sales focus, compensation for a job well done, training is thorough and makes you well prepared.

ConsDifficult to climb the ladder, upper management can get power-hungry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on promises of training, promotion, etc.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!