Engine Yard Reviews

Updated 23 September, 2014
Updated 23 September, 2014
2.6

John Dillon

A heavy ship that seems satisfied to bail water

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work environment where people frequently work from home or come to the office as necessary.

Fellow engineers are smart, hard working, and focused on creating a product that helps customers.

Cons

Different goal every 6 months but it doesn't change what almost anyone is working on. Second systems started every year or 2. Engineering upper management changes frequently. Engineering retention is poor and morale fluctuates frequently. Software is extremely complex and little time is given towards cleanup.

Upper management is confused about what the company should achieve. Communication between company layers is limited. Paying attention to what engineering is good at and trying to work to those strengths might produce better results than delegating the next enterprise trend.

Disconnected, disheartened

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a lot of smart people around, and employees enjoy some flexibility in terms of remote work.

Cons

Huge communication and cultural voids between different parts of the organization - overall teamwork is very poor. CEO nowhere to be seen or heard.

No proper HR and no high-level leadership means people are dissatisfied and leaving pretty regularly.

Imagine the Exact Opposite of a Bullet Train

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Engine Yard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has so little momentum that it's a pretty relaxed place to be. Now, I want to recognize that there were folks who were grinding on emergencies, fires, and (usually unnecessary) deals but "I" felt the pacing to be slower than much of Silicon Valley. Outside of the typical, "why isn't this ready yet?" questions, execs don't ask very tough (or insightful) questions so it's not necessary to be completely present.

Your choice of Macbook Air or Pro.

Cons

Little to no growth, high churn, aimless management team, and above all, a completely absent CEO. I'm pretty sure he has a daily reminder that goes off at 7:45AM that says, "Go be CEO," which I assume he usually ignores. I do like his jacket though, and I can only hope that my hair will have that devilishly handsome silver luster in my later years.

At this point? I'd say take whatever money is left and just have a huge blowout party in southeast Asia or something. It's be wild and probably a better use of funds anyway.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant undercurrent

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Experience and connections in the community. Lots of opportunities to participate in conferences (although less of that now perhaps). Some very sharp people work here. The outstanding commitment of supporting the customers. The teamwork, especially within teams.

Cons

The undercurrent. The hipster crowd not accepting others outside their limited world. Communications and cooperation between teams is nearly non-existent - for example engineering and any team. Or marketing and most other teams. It's just weird. No attempt at cross-functional project management. Lack of respect. Constant management change. Changing management makes more changes without understanding past mistakes, or the world they are now in.

Seriously. Wake up and smell the culture. Be the example that you need to be. Attempt to improve the undercurrent. If you can improve the culture - first - then you have a better chance at making the great changes that you dream of. But without the people working as a team, it just is not going to happen.

Major ups and downs

I have been working at Engine Yard part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty decent compensation, the majority of employees are bright, interesting people. A growing industry with lots of room for growth. Customers on the cutting edge of web development

Cons

The company culture has gone downhill - many employees seem burnt out on the constant change; no official policy for annual raises or long term benefits

Improve interdepartmental communication and create long-term incentives for veteran employees

Troubled culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work environment and nice people to work with

Cons

Engineering team is a mess, unorganized and difficult to work with

Change the Engineering team, add transparency within the org

Disconnected, disjointed, unfocused culture

I have been working at Engine Yard

Pros

You have a lot of freedom to do what you want to do, which leads to good work/life balance.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and everyone seems to be pursuing their own agenda rather than serving the user or some unified corporate team goal. Very unwelcoming to new people.

Get everyone on board with the corporate goals! Communicate more openly. Make sure that when you use the word "transparency" you are walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

Consistently inconsistent

I worked at Engine Yard full-time

Pros

-I worked with a lot of fantastic and talented people
    -Good product that delights customers
    -Top notch support

Cons

-Very high turnover
    -Constantly changing gears so it's hard to carry any momentum
    -Employees were paranoid about privacy
    -Poor company culture
    -Top down Management style is very disruptive

Care more about the company culture and the individuals.

Mediocre Place to Work

I worked at Engine Yard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people are definitely awesome, and the office location is convenient.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care much about the rest of the employee base. We're all replaceable and not really worth getting to know or listening to. It's a fine place to work in the grand scheme of the world, but considering how many seriously amazing other companies there are in SF, why would you bother?

Pretty good!

I worked at Engine Yard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great environment; the company does a lot to ensure its employees are happy (lots of after hours events, etc).

Cons

Not much. Same as any mid-size company.

Engine Yard Photos

Fisheye-view of San Francisco office
Meetup space
Office layout
office view

+ Add Photo

Worked for Engine Yard? Contribute to the Community!