hmv

There are newer employer reviews for hmv

Good job, crazy hours

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON
Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Good Benefits
Good discounts
Opportunity for advancement
Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
Get to sell great music to the masses

Cons

Long hours
Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

I am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

29 Other Employee Reviews for hmv (View Most Recent)

It's a job

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON

I worked at hmv

Pros

It's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

Cons

Minimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Keep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

Facing the music...

Former Employee - Seasonal Temp
    Former Employee - Seasonal Temp

I worked at hmv full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to listen to new music
    Friendly team of colleagues
    Had a rota system so got to mix tasks up a bit
    Lenient with piercings and weird hair colours
    Watching the managers sweat when the CEO turned up for a visit.

Good hours for a temporary contract
    Discount despite being a temp.

Cons

Worked at a Pop-up store, was told we would get 60p above minimum wage during interview, then we were texted later that it was in fact minimum wage.

Thought working in HMV would be dynamic and interesting, but turned out to be a soulless profit making exercise. Maybe I've been watching the movie 'Empire Records' too much.

Took the fun out of customer service and retail by treating customers like gods.

Some of the tasks we were told to were a bit silly.
    (1) Stand at the entrance and hand out offer leaflets, of which customers would pick up then discard in various places around the store, e.g inside DVD cases.
    (2) Walk around the store in a clockwise fashion and approaching customers and asking if they need any help, while your colleague would do the same, so you would end up annoying customers twice. Also to hand out more leaflets.
    (3) The mentioned walk was briefly updated with the most ridiculous thing ever. We had to selotape DVD's together like you would be holding a spread deck of cards, and you would hold this in 1 hand while offering assistance. Bizarre marketing ploy.

We were also told despite being on a 6 week contract, that there would be possibilities for career opportunities at the closest permanent store, but we were told strictly no positions will be available by other management. Very confusing.

Oh and the pink Tshirt. Not so good for guys

Better pay and don't bend the truth about permanent opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for hmv