hmv

It's a job

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON
Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON

I worked at hmv

Pros

It's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

Cons

Minimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Keep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

34 Other Employee Reviews for hmv (View Most Recent)

Fun place to work but could be better

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

- Nice people (some genuinely very nice people)
    - Interesting experience with varied job roles (i.e. floor-walking, till time, collecting stock from off-site, filling up chart wall stock etc.)
    - Good opportunity to improve/utilise up-selling skills with Perfect Partners (there was some good stuff there, the company gave you some good stuff to work with, it wasn't tat)
    - Unlike many other retailers, A LOT of face-to-face with customers on the shop-floor and provides opportunities to deliver excellent customer service (which are always help in competency/STAR interviews)
    - 30% staff discount on (most) items
    - Seeing the manager and his assistant ing bricks when the CEO paid a visit!

Cons

- Minimum wage. A company who pays £6.60 rather than £6.50 - even though it's only 10p goes up hugely in my estimation - because it shows a company values its employees and don't believe any Tom, D* and Harry could do their job.
    - Company feels as if it's in survival mode rather than at the top of its game. I wouldn't say backwards but very static. I talked to a permanent staff member who had been there for 6 years and they said the culture is unrecognisable when they started working there.
    - Contradictions in work practices. The company espouses the "product and people" mantra but loyalty cards are nonsense with £3 charge and crap "rewards". I felt embarrassed to offer it and so did a lot of other permanent staff. A couple of customers actually returned the card and wanted their £3 back because they felt as if they have been duped. On both occasions, I quietly processed the exchange without querying it with because I had the utmost sympathy with them. My indifference towards these silly cards was probably why they didn't keep me on!
    - On a couple of occasions, the staff were alarmingly mis-selling the loyalty cards with items not on the rewards program unaware that by doing so they were breaking the law. Any reputable company - whether it's a £1000+ credit card or a one-off £3 card - should not be mis-selling products. Someone needs to mention the Sale of Goods Act and the FCA. This is something HMV management really need to look at because it erodes customers' trust in the brand and drives customers away - particularly to no-hassle online retailers when they know they won't be pestered with silly value-less reward schemes.
    - Ancient, inefficient work-practices. One such example was the back catalogue squashed (quite literally!) under A-Z space when they have empty shelf space on the wall. The poor staff spend a good 5-10 minutes on your hands and knees looking for something obscure, so much that they have hand-wash at the till. Whack some shelves on the wall FFS! Spare them the effort and unprofessional appearance and save them time so they help other customers!
    - Lack of new ideas or initiatives to entice customers. Walking into a HMV store and seeing "2 for £10" is only exciting the first few times. I had about 10 (cheap) initiatives I would implement but they never asked staff for ideas so sod them!
    - I felt management were a bit (too) distant with staff to the point they were unapproachable. I understand there is a lot of pressure at Christmas but appreciating your staff members' efforts is an important skill that is so lacking in management these days. Employers always talk about young people lacking 'soft skills' yet so many older managers lack such skills as well. It's a laughable state of affairs when I see such complaints in the news.
    - From my impressions, the store had a good set of staff who worked extremely hard (compared to previous retail roles I've been in) and I don't think they were appreciated.
    - If you're a Christmas temp. don't expect to be rewarded with any bonus or meeting Christmas sales targets. Not even handshake of appreciation from the manager after a (VERY) successful Christmas period which I thought was a bit lacking in decorum.

Get rid of the £3 payment for the "loyalty" cards which erodes trust in those who are duped into buying it and annoys the customers (The "Oh, you're trying to sell me something else now?" types) who don't want it when they are at the till.

Passionate about the product

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with like-minded people, who care passionately about the product they sell
    Even when times are tough, everyone pulls together
    hmv colleagues are friends for life

Cons

Tough working for a company that is in a declining market that receives such negative press

There are newer employer reviews for hmv