There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

If you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

Cons

As with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Yahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

1805 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Ignore the negative press, Yahoo! is a great company

Current Employee - Senior Director of Support in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Support in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo is a fantastic company. I have worked at some of the major high tech companies in the valley including Apple, and think Yahoo is the best. You can actually make a difference, and senior management is truly engaged and supportive.

Cons

Yahoo! currently is where Apple was in the early 90s. The media and analysts jump on everything negative and publicize it, while ignoring the positives. Staying positive and focusing on delivering results is difficult when everyone on the outside is constantly telling you how bad your company is doing.

I would continue to stick to the growth plan, deliver results, and be our own PR team.

I bleed purple!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

The culture at Yahoo is the best. The people you work with, the independence that you get to do the projects are some of the reasons Y! is the place to work for. Also, you can work from home anytime, any number of days, which is one great thing abt Y!

Cons

30% of the time, 30% of the employees are not doing anything. I am just throwing stats blindly here. But, most of the time the projects are in design phase and there are like so many meetings that you end up spending complete days sometimes in meetings. Also, most of these meeting have double the managers than engineers and they don't contribute much other than complicate things as they have to do something to justify their pay.

Just focus on things we are good at and stop playing catch up.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo