Workday

www.workday.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Workday

The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect
Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect

I have been working at Workday

Pros

After many years in Enterprise software and corporate America in general, I was starting to lose faith that there were any really great companies (or ideas) out there. Joining Workday two years ago changed my mind about everything that a corporation can be. I wake up every morning excited to get to work and feel fulfilled by my job. I have no desire to move into management but that decision has been respected and I have been consistently rewarded for being a top individual contributor.

I feel fortunate to work with fantastic people on all levels of the organization. My peers in sales are excellent and they respect the value that I bring to the company. My direct management has always been very supportive of my work and me as a person. I feel this is a company where people genuinely care about the people that they work with, and that starts at the top with Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri.

One of the exciting things about my job is that I work with many different companies (in pre-sales) helping them understand the value of Workday. I get to experience the corporate culture of these companies as we go through the sales process. How do they treat vendors? How do they talk to each other? I get to see these aspects and many more as part of the sales cycle. That has given me a deep appreciation for just how few companies are like Workday in how they treat employees. I feel very lucky to be a part of building such a great organization.

I work from home on the days I am not travelling and I feel well integrated even though I am in the field. My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management. I recently took a week off during the busiest time of the quarter and my management didn't complain.

Cons

We have been trying to hire an additional person in my position for over a year now and still have not found someone who can satisfy all the requirements. This means that I been very busy (and getting busier). My management has gone out of their way to ensure I don't get overworked, but at some point we just need more people to do the job.

I am also still somewhat confused about our commission compensation, how it is calculated and how long it takes for us to get our compensation plans. I understand we are a growing company, but for variable compensation to be a motivator the plans need to be clear and delivered on a timely basis.

Because the company is still relatively young and growing fast some of our internal processes are not fully matured. Things like performance reviews are not conducted on a regular basis (even though I get regular informal feedback on my performance). I think for some this may be frustrating because they need more consistent "official" feedback. I suspect this is particularly true for younger workers who are looking to constantly improve their performance. I hope this is something that can be addressed as we continue to grow.

172 Other Employee Reviews for Workday (View Most Recent)

Good break after graduating from UC Berkeley

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Laid back attitude, allowed to work from home sometimes, good work-life balance are all great parts of working at Workday. Also, the company is successful and generally people are upbeat. Also nobody gets fired here. So considering the company outlook, this is a great place to work if your priority is job security and low stress.

Cons

Limited exposure to widely used frameworks and development tools--this is especially true for Application Developers. On the Tools team you get more exposure, but it's mostly just Java and a little bit of XML processing. The problem is a "Not Invented Here" attitude, that results in more work for you and fewer employable skills to gain. A little too much company kool-aid; sometimes the hype gets to me. Not all managers are top notch (they get fired more rarely than employees) and some are just plain ineffective and annoying (but most of them were at least developers at some point). Also pay is low.

Give your employees enough work to feel like they are productive. Don't be a nervous nanny, nobody likes a micro-manager (a little bit of an epidemic here). Treat your employees like adults, not kids.

Great Technology, Great Vision - Poorly executed..

Current Employee - Financial Development - Developer
    Current Employee - Financial Development - Developer

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Great Technology
    Great Vision
    Fun People to work with
    Strive to do your best

Cons

Inexperience Management
    Decisions come from one person with little room for feedback
    No Career Path - after entry level - you are stuck in a path to no where
    Internal fighting between development (engineering) and product management (business)
    Everyone reports to one person -- that one person has no time to talk and eventually ignores you.

If you plan to keep good people and be the BEST, then you need to start to clean house from the TOP... the people you promote to management aren't really good managers -- You provide HR applications... it's about time you develop your own HR team and create solid careers paths in development and in other areas... right now, for example, your financial development team is headed by one person and everyone reports to one person... no growth for anyone on the team -- that one person has absolute control... not the best way to run your engineering team.

There are newer employer reviews for Workday