Williams-Sonoma

www.williams-sonomainc.com
  www.williams-sonomainc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Great entry level job, but the higher you go the more disillusioned you become

Former Employee - Varied in Las Vegas, NV (US)
Former Employee - Varied in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

*Great people to work with who are passionate about products and people.
*Products are excellent and their quality makes it easy to sell. Ethics in production are high.
*Chuck Williams, the founder, is an absolutely amazing and inspiring man who treats everyone like family.

Cons

*Time off was hard to come by, work/life balance very difficult to achieve
*Too much favoritism shown by some managers
*Mistakes are very hard to overcome, even simple ones. It becomes a roadblock if you ever desire a transfer, promotion, merit increase, etc.

*Trust individual locations to do the right thing.
*Too many metrics, streamline employee evaluations so that they are more meaningful
*More support of employee decisions would be nice

661 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

Daily/weekly sales results driven company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, NJ (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High volume location. Not located in mall-free standing.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent and cut back quite often

Management team is run well in this location

Strange. This is no longer Williams Sonoma.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with. The 40% seasonal discount was nice too. The managers are excellent and try very hard to build a great atmosphere. The merchandise is beautiful.

Cons

This business has changed. At this point they value profits over service and it's hurting them. I came in as seasonal help with the possibility of full time work. During the Christmas season I watched as the managers were demoralized by having to send us home during the middle of the day even when the store was busy because corporate gave a mandate to slash payroll, right in the middle of the busiest season. I gave up my days (On Call ) because I told my managers to give them to someone who really needed the hours. We were told not to offer gift wrapping, and one week before we had been told to offer it to everyone. It was misleading because they initially offered me close to 30 hours a week, but I never got more than 13 and that was on a good week. I would have taken one of the other jobs offered to me if I'd known that. They try to keep you around in January so that you can work inventory in Feb , but it became very clear when they started asking even the managers if they would cut their hours (and these women work HARD!) that there would be no job offered. The managers are completely stressed out by the unrealistic expectations and the irritated sales staff. I was asked why I did not want to continue and my response was simple. This is a company that I always admired. I couldn't take a job with them now after seeing what their managers (who are great) go through on the whims of the DM's and the other higher ups. They've lost their professionalism.

Several things. Go back to what made you good. Your service made you different. You've become like any other discounter. Every one knows that it will be going on sale eventually so they wait for that. Everyday we were told of a new promotion. I was told that the All clad slow cooker would not be going on sale again , but I knew better. I bought it somewhere else and then watched as it did indeed go back to the promotional price. Stop requiring that your sales staff push the Visa Card. It's either a good tool or it's not, but your customers hate that. They all look at you and say...I don't need another card. American express offers way better perks so you can't compete. No one wants to give email at this point either and quite frankly its because every morning there's another promotional email from you.

Stop the On Call hours. This is disrespectful. Quite frankly, you are building a culture where people do not respect your time, because you don't respect theirs. Putting someone on-call and expecting them to wait until the morning to find out if they're needed is simply lower class policy for a business with the reputation that you once had. I was shocked to find out that you employed it. You need people to work for you who can service the caliber of customer that you have. Quite frankly? We have lives and we need to schedule them.

Your bridal registry is insulting and if you're not going to offer more service to your brides than just handing them the gun then you should get out of the bridal business. You do not offer a complete enough selection, nor are your associates well trained enough to really be good bridal registry consultants. Let your managers have more input into what needs to happen in their store. Each store is a different microcosm of the community that it serves. You've forgotten that and at this point your branding is working against you. You're over-branded , hence you've gotten generic and unexciting. In short? YOu've lost the essence of what made you great. It's not too late. Go back!

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma