There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

After a blissful decade, I am now embarrassed to work at Williams-Sonoma.

Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great Discount
-Mostly Fun, Energetic, Passionate Co-Workers
-Awesome Products

Cons

For the first time in a decade of tenure, this week I became embarrassed to work for Williams-Sonoma. I don’t say that lightly-for many years I have laughed when recruiters from other companies have tried to lure me away, but I always knew that Williams-Sonoma Inc. was the gold standard. Not any more.

It’s not that Williams-Sonoma was a perfect workplace; like anywhere, there have always been pros and cons. The difference was that previously there was not the disconnect that exists today between upper management and the field. There have been signs of these issues for over a year, but this week it became clear that the Williams-Sonoma culture that I used to love so much is in the past tense. Despite the fact that my store is on target for all payroll costs and earnings YTD, I and every single one of my fellow GM’s have been directed to cut our payroll this week and next to a minimum that we normally use during the slowest times of the year. I run a mid-volume store and tomorrow, a Saturday in December, I will run the store with myself and ONE other person all day. All of the things that my company has always said separates us from the competition is out the window. Need a gift wrap? Sorry, you’ll have to take some ‘giftwrap to go’. Buying a 15 piece set of cookware? Sorry, I won’t have staff to help you to your car because I literally will not have one extra person to do so. Need some one-on-one help with some new cutlery? Maybe Sur la Table can help you. No customer will be greeted when they enter the store tomorrow because I and my one other person will be at the register all day. I hope I don’t have to have a bathroom break. Incidentally, the previous guidelines from the same Saturday in previous years would call for 8-12 people working at any given time.

We had a conference call earlier this week with an EVP of the company in which she demonstrated, with breathtaking clarity, her utter lack of understanding of our operational practices. She was literally instructing every GM in the company about computer processes for payroll management that don’t exist. Disturbing. I would crawl over broken glass for my DM and RVP, but there is a point at which the corporate leadership has to lead the culture, or else the culture dies. It’s dead.

Advice to Management

At this point I don't even know where to start. See above.

reviews filtered by
  1. I have worked many years in retail, no other company compares.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People First, Customers and Associates. Best Product Available. Senior Management is invested in finding solutions. Best Customers. Big emphasis on internal promotions.

Cons

This is minor... at times Senior Management can be reative, rather than proactive.

2. Sets a higher standard for retail employment experience

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are plenty of growth opportunities available, and the company has a great focus on both the customer experience and employee needs.

Cons

There are huge opportunities around internals systems, particularly inventory management. On the note of inventory, more attention needs to be directed towards stockroom operations. Without accurate inventory levels, the company will lose out on sales and profits.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally. The stock guy you staffed by himself to load furniture in vehicles deserves just as much recognition as the sales associate that generated the sale.