Williams-Sonoma

www.williams-sonomainc.com
  www.williams-sonomainc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

After a blissful decade, I am now embarrassed to work at Williams-Sonoma.

Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Great Discount
-Mostly Fun, Energetic, Passionate Co-Workers
-Awesome Products

Cons

For the first time in a decade of tenure, this week I became embarrassed to work for Williams-Sonoma. I don’t say that lightly-for many years I have laughed when recruiters from other companies have tried to lure me away, but I always knew that Williams-Sonoma Inc. was the gold standard. Not any more.

It’s not that Williams-Sonoma was a perfect workplace; like anywhere, there have always been pros and cons. The difference was that previously there was not the disconnect that exists today between upper management and the field. There have been signs of these issues for over a year, but this week it became clear that the Williams-Sonoma culture that I used to love so much is in the past tense. Despite the fact that my store is on target for all payroll costs and earnings YTD, I and every single one of my fellow GM’s have been directed to cut our payroll this week and next to a minimum that we normally use during the slowest times of the year. I run a mid-volume store and tomorrow, a Saturday in December, I will run the store with myself and ONE other person all day. All of the things that my company has always said separates us from the competition is out the window. Need a gift wrap? Sorry, you’ll have to take some ‘giftwrap to go’. Buying a 15 piece set of cookware? Sorry, I won’t have staff to help you to your car because I literally will not have one extra person to do so. Need some one-on-one help with some new cutlery? Maybe Sur la Table can help you. No customer will be greeted when they enter the store tomorrow because I and my one other person will be at the register all day. I hope I don’t have to have a bathroom break. Incidentally, the previous guidelines from the same Saturday in previous years would call for 8-12 people working at any given time.

We had a conference call earlier this week with an EVP of the company in which she demonstrated, with breathtaking clarity, her utter lack of understanding of our operational practices. She was literally instructing every GM in the company about computer processes for payroll management that don’t exist. Disturbing. I would crawl over broken glass for my DM and RVP, but there is a point at which the corporate leadership has to lead the culture, or else the culture dies. It’s dead.

At this point I don't even know where to start. See above.

661 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

Fear and Loathing at Williams Sonoma

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Great views from the Cafe

Cons

Company is run by fear of dictatorial President, who is actively closed to conversation
    Arthritic processes
    Conspiratorial environment
    Detest change and risk averse
    Competing visions of future between CEO and Pres
    People last
    Dollar is first, last and everything
    Slashed budgets and headcount from 2008 never reinstated with huge increase in workloads

BoD needs to kick out Pres before any change for the better can be realized

going down hill really fast.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40% off
    sample sale
    doesn't fire slackers and under performers
    if you know the manager you can get hired with experience

Cons

location (near pier 39)
    politics
    salary
    favoritism
    lack of process
    co workers are not helpful
    no work from home policy

listen to employees and accommodate, recognize high performing employees rather than boot lickers.

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma