There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

The Best are Left Behind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Products, you can trust that the products you sell are the best out there. Great care is taken to keep company standards in this area. Paid Benefits add to lower wages, after sustained time with the company, they get better, and better.

Cons

Lack of equal opportunity, I see a lot of 'friends' moving up in the company rather than people who work consistently. Personal benefits abound, you always see the Leaders treating themselves better than Team Members.

Treat your Team Members the way you are treated by your leaders. Mutual respect, shared glory, and opportunities. I am with the guest daily, it is me that they come to see me, and thank me all the time. But yet, I never recieve a thank you from my Leaders for a job well done. Be more accountable yourself. And stop dancing for the upper Leadership, we waste so much time and money for walk throughs. It drives me crazy, after they leave, things go back. Dance for our guests, they spend their money there.

1440 Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market (View Most Recent)

Great coworkers, bad customers

Current Employee - Cashier and Customer Service  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier and Customer Service in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company's commitment to "team member happiness" makes this job a lot easier to deal with! The management is great, the coworkers are all friendly and everyone's pretty laid back. During the holiday season we often would get free lunch provided, a relaxation room was set up for us to unwind during the chaos, and managers seem genuinely interested and concerned in your wellbeing.
    The job itself is easy. The discount is great and really the "whole checkbook" rumor about whole foods isn't true if you buy the right things. If you only buy snacks and frozen foods you will definitely spend more than you would at other conventional stores but if you buy fruits and vegetables, milk, and bread you will be paying about the same for much better food.

Cons

I'm sure this varies with region but many of the customers a cashier has to deal with on a day to day basis are awful. Perhaps because the food is pricey and they expect a lot of the employees to serve their needs. I've been in customer service all my life from waitressing, retail, coffee shop barista, etc and I've never experienced such snooty, rude, and even downright mean customers than I have at Whole Foods. I've witnessed employees being yelled and cussed at by customers for the most trivial matters. Over Thanksgiving one cashier was called the female derogatory term "ct". Customers also tend to have strong opinions about quality food and can become quite preachy.
    This is not to say we don't see a lot of amazing customers too. We get a lot of nice hippies and alternative types too who are really friendly and appreciative. but sometimes they just can't outweigh the bad customers.
    Whole Foods also has a weird policy about a "rotating schedule". I've never understood why but no employee, full or part time, is allowed to have a regular schedule. Which means each week is a toss up. This makes it really hard to have much of a life outside of work, especially for people with families.

This is my advice to upper management since it all just go straight to the top.
    1. Allow employees to have regular schedules.
    2. Pay us more. Team member positions at Whole Foods are treated like professional careers and that is what customers expect out of us, to be professionals. One worker can only take the job so seriously while being paid so little. $10 an hour may seem like a lot for a cashier level job but there's a lot more expected of us than your average cashier at a conventional grocery store.

Guest service driven, lack of direction from leader ship

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great training on eating healthy, good benefits, employee discount

Cons

Store management lacks skills, a lot of work. no overtime allowed.

There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!