Maintenance Guy

Former Employee - A - Class Maintenance in Cleveland, TN (US)
Former Employee - A - Class Maintenance in Cleveland, TN (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool (previously Maytag Cleveland Cooking Products) had an apprenticeship program, which allowed anyone who could pass the entrance exam and get through the inteview process to begin a career in maintenance. A four year program (part time) at the local college (Electro-mechanical maintenance certification) ALL EXPENSES PAID !!!!! Concurrently, there was three years of hands-on apprenticeship, with the guys who actually kept the place running and have done so for up to 30 years. WONDERFUL Opportunity !!!!!!

Cons

What can I say, it's ALL about the bottom line. I wish it weren't so, but as the cost of living continued to rise, the pay stagnated. Our annul raises only covered the additional cost of benefits.
UnfortunateIy, I had to leave the company to fnd more gainful employment. 10 + years of experience out the door.

Advice to Management

It's ALL about the bottom line, companies have made that all to clear to their employees.
A persons loyalty to their employer is in great part tied to how well that they can supply their families needs. I suggest a quarterly profit sharing bonus structures implementation would help tremendously. Quality, attendance and LOYALTY to the company would soar to new heights.

reviews filtered by
  1. great company

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great great company to grow your career by creating opportunity for you to challenge yourself and gain different experience. Love the company culture and company strives to engage employees.

Cons

between brand, category, finance, procurement, engineering..... they all have global structure and regional team, think about the complexity when it comes to decision making. won't say it's the most efficient company in the world. plus, they shuffle people around quickly and they won't even get chance to execute their strategy yet.

Advice to Management

who really owns P/L? too many people have say in it

2. Nice place to work most of the time

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Good work/life balance most of the time

Cons

Easy to get lost in such a large organization