Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training

Former Employee - Receptionist
Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

Cons

The pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense.

Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company.

In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably.

Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who
 were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Field staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

Other Reviews for Weight Watchers

Ha ha ha

Former Employee - Leader/Receptionist/Location Corordinator
    Former Employee - Leader/Receptionist/Location Corordinator

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Members. The members are wonderful.

Cons

Management. They expect full time work for less than minimum wage and this is a part time position.

And I thought it was ME. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Horrible compensation

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful members, great coworkers, a lot of flexibility in working hours

Cons

Barely minimum wage, mostly below minimum wage if you add in prep, travel, emails, banking, snail mail. Manual labor in dress clothes. Meeting pay is for 2.5 hours no matter how long you actually work. Hard sell pressure now to sell products. Members HATE that and complain. Training is spotty and often outdated. Traveler locations have no computers or phones. Receptionists required to make annoying follow up phone calls to members.

Update the computer system to something from this century. Pay a decent wage. Make training easy to obtain and not on days off. Pay for ALL time you actually require us to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers.

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!