Weight Watchers

www.weightwatchers.com
  www.weightwatchers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training

Former Employee - Receptionist
Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

Cons

The pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense.

Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company.

In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably.

Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who
 were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Field staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

245 Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers (View Most Recent)

Horrible compensation

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful members, great coworkers, a lot of flexibility in working hours

Cons

Barely minimum wage, mostly below minimum wage if you add in prep, travel, emails, banking, snail mail. Manual labor in dress clothes. Meeting pay is for 2.5 hours no matter how long you actually work. Hard sell pressure now to sell products. Members HATE that and complain. Training is spotty and often outdated. Traveler locations have no computers or phones. Receptionists required to make annoying follow up phone calls to members.

Update the computer system to something from this century. Pay a decent wage. Make training easy to obtain and not on days off. Pay for ALL time you actually require us to work.

A Great Job to Make a Positive Impact!

Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Harrisonburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Harrisonburg, VA (US)

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is the job for you if you want to make a positive impact on people and motivate change! Service Providers (Leaders or Receptionists) at a local meeting location get great perks (employee discount on products, free WW magazine subscription) and many professional development opportunities. Working for WW is great if you are looking for part-time employment and the work is easy. Employees are "members first" and must maintain a personal weight goal that fit within prescribed WW program guidelines. It's great motivation to keep your own weight in check. I've gained job skills that have helped me in several different careers - presentational speaking, counseling, training, relationship-building, logistics, event planning, just to name a few.

Cons

This is not the job for you if you need to pay the bills. The wages and the hours just aren't there. It's not the most glamorous job either, you have to be willing to do a little grunt work. Many locations are in the Dark Ages technologically. Most importantly, you have to be a people person. REALLY. Weight-loss is an extremely personal endeavor and you have to keep a cool head and a positive attitude in front of members at ALL TIMES. Personally, you have to keep a good work-life balance and know how to play nice with others. Weight Watchers is a business, first and foremost, so recruiting and retaining members is a number one priority. The company is pretty heavy on policy and service consistency so it's probably not the best fit if you're the Lone Ranger type.

To Corporate: Your Territory Managers are GOLD! Treat them well and pay them fairly. Give them the tools (i.e., technology) to do their jobs effectively.

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers