Washington Mutual
www.wamu.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

It's a job, not a career

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than a year

ProsDespite some interesting growth opportunities, I'd call it a job and not a career. Decent pay, high turnover. Upper movement determined on office politics rather than merit. But I suppose that's true at many places.

ConsUpper management pushes some questionable growth numbers. Is it possible for a small branch to open 100+ new accounts in a month? Definitely. Are those accounts really needed and necessary in a small community? Probably not.

Advice to Senior ManagementA mission statement should be a mission statement, not a PR device to brainwash employees and consumers alike into thinking poor money management, big fees, and behavior inconsistent with said mission statement.

It was a great experience while it lasted.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I truly enjoyed my time at WaMu. I loved my team and the people I worked… Cons: Getting shut down by the FDIC and being devoured by… Advice to Senior Management: Ignoring risk and lending out to anybody regardless of whether… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was good while it lasted

QA Analyst (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: It was a nice work environment, coworkers were great. Cons: too much red tape and hard to get point across Advice to Senior Management: listen more to your reports. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Washington Mutual.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washington Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Washington Mutual CEO James Dimon . All reviews posted anonymously by Washington Mutual employees.