'The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude' - de la Boetie (1552) Need I say more?

Current Employee - Department Manager of Garden Center  in  Plano, TX (US)
Current Employee - Department Manager of Garden Center in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- You can be exposed to far more industry which may give you the impression of "freedom." You can and may well encounter numerous high-level executives, even outside of Walmart. . . That may only be the one I work at.
- There are plenty of opportunities "to shine" but you will need to be given that chance (and staffing)
- Sometimes you will gain access to neat tools to operate the business though often there is a selfishness and neediness that comes with it.
- It potentially can improve resume. . . Potentially

Cons

- Most everything is smoke and mirrors
- Sometimes the most competent are taken advantage of and sometimes these same people will also undermine others because they believe the system weighs against them, just as much as those with seniority and higher-level managament have only managed to "keep it cool" (a very important process of the indoctrination process toward keeping the work flowing) to stay where they are.
- Anything and everything can be used against you if Management views you as a hindrance to the process of making money.
- Sometimes the operations are hectic and due to lack of staffing your expectations of customer service and taking on the responsibilities of the job can stretch time availability.
- You are entitled to take a break by law if you were hired on the basis of this benefit but you will often feel compelled not to, all the while subordinates understandably feel compelled to take it; sometimes this is an easy excuse to "pass the buck".
- I know this may sound paranoid but if things "appear up" for you, I would keep an eye on your back.
- People are paranoid and you may encounter genuine sociopaths; it's also a given that the Gervais Principle applies to Walmart, just like any other industry.
- Walmart has and will continue to use the legal system to increase profitability. Many times people that are in Section 8 housing will be hired by Walmart, who in turn gets money from the government. This isn't necessarily "bad" but it does weigh against those whom might be considered more qualified for the tasks at hand. This may also be a reason they would prefer to remove none ethnic management in favor of those that are within this hiring demographic. Overall this isn't bad for the company but when you are specifically paying for very expensive real estate near top 1-2% income percentile home owners, you probably want to cater to the demographics and expectation of how to relate to them.
- The grocery department holds a high priority because it is a big profit sector for Walmart. . . Good for Walmart though bad for other departments.

Yes it's important to cull the "bad apples" from any industry but it may also be important to consider what doesn't work and resolve the issues instead of putting salve over the sutures. Sometimes the development of PTSD can impact performance; I won't tell you how to run your business but I sure as heck will tell you how not to. Those within the company could possibly know who I am based off this posting. . . Sorry I'm not positive.

Other Reviews for Walmart

Overworked, Paid Ok, No real benefits.

Current Employee - Loader/Unloader  in  Williamsburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Loader/Unloader in Williamsburg, VA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay, Good People, Convenient location (Close to home), Hours are always available. Work with lots of hard working people.

Cons

Bad Benefits. Health benefits are near nil for a employer of almost 1.6 million people, Insurance should be great and cheaper. Production number are never thought through with people in mind. Upper management expects more and more.

Come work with us at the distribution centers and see what the loaders and unloaders have to do and see the numbers you ask are harder than they are on paper.

New Age Of Walmart

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Enjoy working with co- workers

Cons

All managers where on differents pages and one associate work half the store

Communication

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!