Unum Group

Company has a monopoly on "good" jobs in Southern Maine

Billing (Current Employee)
South Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits including for domestic partners. Tuition reimbursement includes books and you need only a B-. Sometimes interesting work and there are some truly excellent people there (not necessarily Managers and above, though).

ConsI agree with many existing reviews here. In my experience this company is slow to give raises unless you slavishly conform to the existing corporate culture (which means change is slow if it erupts at all, and then sometime's squashed). Some IT systems are awful: old, poorly understood and supported, clunky. As noted by others, some recognition programs are thought by many to be for rewarding favorite employees only, not merit-based. This company attracts workers partly because there aren't many large employers in Southern Maine, and not based on its own strengths....

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the employees: they have plenty of good ideas.

Worst ever!!

Employee (Current Employee)
Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Benefits, Mon-Fri work week. Vacation days. All the money the company wastes on fun days doing nothing, hiring a big name motivational speaker for an… Cons: I have had 7 mangers in 7 years of employment. Workflow changes bi-weekly or weekly or daily..(seriously) -Managers pick favorites. for a disability company; they… Advice to Senior Management: Get your act together-quit changing procedures daily. This only makes us more stressed and confused and causes productivity to slow. Quit picking favorites and dont… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: GREAT people, decent opportunity, fantastic training program--best in the industry Cons: A lot is contingent on how good your territory is Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unum Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unum Group CEO Tom Watjen. All reviews posted anonymously by Unum Group employees.