University of Toronto

There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto

Work/Study Position

Former Employee - Work Study Position in Toronto, ON
Former Employee - Work Study Position in Toronto, ON

I worked at University of Toronto as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a work/study student, assisting in a biology laboratory. My supervisor was amazing, with helpful feedback when appropriate and always ready to schedule a meeting.

Cons

The salary for the work/study position is almost minimum wage, and the hours we are allowed to work per week are limited.

332 Other Employee Reviews for University of Toronto (View Most Recent)

A good start, but keep training & move on after 4 -5 years.

Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Toronto, ON

I have been working at University of Toronto full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work is interesting, always changing, constantly learning new techniques. Every Principle Investigator is different, some are horrible but I have a great boss.
    U of T has OK benefits, good pension, good vacation time.

Cons

The grant paid system means this job is insecure. You are basically a contract employee with benefits. There is no opportunity for promotion. You'd make more money for less aducation as a admin assistant, have more career paths and job security.

What does it say about an institution that doesn't value the degrees it grants?

Great environment

Current Employee - Research Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at University of Toronto as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at the University of Toronto for the last 8 years, I've had the chance to contribute to a vibrant environment. The work I do as a researcher is challenging and exciting. I love working with professors and fellow students to further research. Work life balance is good here; in particular, the hours are flexible in my position. Overall, a great experience

Cons

It is difficult to break into the permanent ranks as a contract employee. There are not very many full-time research opportunities in my field, unless you go through the academia route. I have been trying to break into the Communications field, but have been offered casual opportunities at most.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto