University of Maryland
www.umd.edu College Park, MD 5000+ Employees

A good place to get a PhD

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
College Park, MD (US)

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a science graduate student, and received good mentorship. Most of the people that I knew in my program were very happy with their experience. Graduate student life is lots of work, but the pay at UMd is enough to live on (if you're careful) and the school isn't taking in more science students that it can afford to support to graduation (which is sometimes the case at Ivy League schools). There's good health insurance because you receive state employee benefits. I would recommend working as a graduate student at UMd.

ConsAs is typical for graduate school, there were no official family leave or maternity leave policies. Traffic can be a mess, but that's not unusual for the DC area.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a good job supporting science graduate students, both with decent pay, good benefits, and good mentoring. Please expand your family leave/ maternity leave policies to graduate students.

Researcher in theoretical particle physics

Research Associate (Former Employee)
College Park, MD (US)

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great research group, with renowned professors creating successful collaborations. Cons: The offices were too old at the time of my… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

good

Housekeper (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: the benifits are very good Cons: the benifits are expensive to get Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of Maryland.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Maryland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Maryland CEO Dr. Wallace D. Loh. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Maryland employees.