good

Current Employee - Housekeper  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
Current Employee - Housekeper in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the benifits are very good

Cons

the benifits are expensive to get

Other Reviews for University of Maryland

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD (US)

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Take classes for free, pleasant atmosphere, nice working around young people who are enthusiastic about life. Good health benefits & retirement plans.

Cons

I can't think of cons besides having to pay for parking :) Perhaps traffic going in to work can be a challenge.

Best Part-time Job on Campus

Former Employee - Student Driver  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Student Driver in College Park, MD (US)

I worked at University of Maryland part-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid CDL training and license, which is practically unheard of in other companies - the license itself is valued at over $2000, and all that is asked in return is one semester of work at an avg of 12hrs/week (unless things have changed in the past 2 years). Easy.

There's no uniform, and you can clock in at different places on campus. Convenient.

I recommend working maintenance - those skills are invaluable if you plan on owning an automobile or bike.

Cons

Scheduling can be somewhat inflexible (don't you dare change your class schedule after shift pick), and seniority is everything - you may be stuck with some pretty terrible shifts your first semester.

Never sign up for College Park Metro (104) or New Carrollton (126). Trust me.

Shift pick was literally the most tedious thing I experienced in college, so I recommend signing up for the bare minimum 12hrs/week and picking up shifts for the extra cash. Don't let yourself get suckered into making any extra shifts permanent - you'll want that flexibility.

Allot a handful of parking spaces at base for graveyard/early morning workers.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!