University of Glasgow

www.gla.ac.uk

Great research environment

Research Fellow (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent, world-class and stimulating research environment.

Good facilities and excellent support and guidance from from the research management (although this can be somewhat group dependent - maybe I was lucky).

Typically limited duration contracts, but good once you get on the rolling grants - in my experience, if you're any good, the management will do amazing feats of juggling to keep you regardless of funding problems.

ConsLimited chance of career advancement in research-only - as normal, to advance, you need to teach and the term time load can be rather high (supervision and not much else) - although some opportunities do exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, good job! Keep a eye on the teaching time load to ensure the university can keep its world-class research status. More opportunities for research-only posts (and advancement there) would be welcome (although noted that teaching is the primary function of universities!)

Satisfying work and a supportive environment

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros: Good management structure that supports its employees through good communication. Flexible hours… Cons: Security and stability of position is becoming an increasing issue due to re-structuring. This had… Advice to Senior Management: Leadership would be improved with more consideration of personal anxieties of staff, who are keen to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There's a lot Glasgowing on at the University

Analyst (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros: Job security is certainly a bonus. There is a relaxed feel to… Cons: I personally believe that there aren't many opportunities for promotion in the University. Jobs appear to be awarded on factors that are unrelated to performance… Advice to Senior Management: The University is a large organisation with roughly 5000 staff and 25000 students. The senior management appear to make decisions based on unrealistic assumptions without… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of Glasgow.

Worked for University of Glasgow? Contribute to the Community!