University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu

Your fellow UC employees make all the difference

Web Programmer (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA (US)

ProsEven if you are not in a union-represented position, UC will treat you like you are. You have access to quaint, old-fashioned perks such as real lunch breaks away from your desk, the ability to take evenings and weekends off, and even a pension scheme. Sure, we all grumbled about our pay being lower compared to that in industry, but overall we made lots more money, since our jobs were relatively more secure and we didn't work uncompensated overtime.

ConsAt UC I worked with several obstructive individuals who would've been tossed out on their butts in the private sector, but were tolerated and even coddled for *years* despite their lack of contribution to projects or teamwork. This, more than any other factor--more than dilapidated equipment, more than the make-do salary, more than the sensation that I was missing out on the innovations happening in industry--is what made me quit my UC job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny one person has the potential to wield a huge amount of influence in the very distributed UC system. I had the benefit of a terrific manager, who struggled valiantly with the myriad stupidities of the average UC workday. Managers like him should receive gigantic raises.

UC -- A Great Place to Work (at times)

Web Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of California

Pros: Benefits Retirement Package If you are lucky -- the product or service… Cons: It is surprisingly bureaucratic and at some levels employees have… Advice to Senior Management: Be more entrepreneurial Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Berkeley is a great place to work!

Principal Publications Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of California

Pros: I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting… Cons: The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on… Advice to Senior Management: Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of California.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!