US Navy

www.navy.mil
  www.navy.mil
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Enlisted sailor 2005-2009. Great experience for a young adult and can make a wonderful career for some.

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Too many to list, but here are a few:

Highly rewarding experience.

Pride in serving your country.

Advancement is largely based on a sailor's merits and the Navy makes an effort to keep it as objective as possible. If a sailor works hard, he or she will usually advance quickly. Although politics do play a role in advancement, they aren't nearly as important as they are in corporate culture.

The pay is good for a job that doesn't require a degree. It sucks when you start, but increases substantially as you advance. Many senior enlisted personnel are netting close to or above six figures after allowances and taxes.

Work-life balance is generally good when you're on shore duty.

You'll probably have a job that would be unavailable to you otherwise. Make sure you choose a job you think you will enjoy. Don't worry about choosing a job you think will appeal to employers after you leave. Once you use your GI Bill to earn a degree, employers will value your service regardless of the job you had while you were in.

There's no other job that will expose you to such a diverse culture. You will learn to interact with all kinds of people. You'll make a lot of close friends.

You'll get to travel to a lot of interesting places.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is great. I'm about to graduate from Berkeley with zero debt.

When you combine your service with a degree from a reputable college, your résumé WILL get you interviews for great jobs and internships. I'm talking bulge bracket investment banking, Big 4 public accounting, etc.

Way too many to list.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Lots of paperwork for everything.

It's the military, so your job is to deploy when the Navy says so. Work-life balance usually sucks when you're on sea duty. Even when your ship is at its home port, you'll probably work a few 70 hour weeks for no extra pay.

Some of the leaders are incredibly incompetent. This is largely due to the use of quotas in the advancement system.

Fix the advancement system. The Navy's enlisted leadership would benefit greatly from a more holistic evaluation. Too many people advance because they've been in their current rate for long enough or because the next paygrade is "open". This often results in the promotion of terrible leaders. Introduce selection boards of officers from other units for enlisted promotions. This would help to promote good leaders while keeping the process as objective as possible.

3961 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

Awesome

Former Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Norfolk, VA (US)

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Navy has allowed me to become the woman that i am today. The Navy taught me Honor, Courage and Commit for my country,

Cons

Being away from my children

Greatest Experience of my Life

Current Employee - Information Systems Technician in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Information Systems Technician in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Navy provides deep comraderie and tradition. Gives you a sense of pride and a deep feeling that what you do really does make a difference.

Cons

To have a significant other and belong to any branch of the service will strain your relationship to the nth degree. You must have a strong relationship and strong communication with your wife/husband to be successful with both your career and your relationships.

less bureacracy.