US Marine Corps

www.marines.mil
  www.marines.mil
There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

It was an overall good experience, very educational and life-changing.

Former Employee - Communications Officer in Okinawa (Japan)
Former Employee - Communications Officer in Okinawa (Japan)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent sense of camaraderie
-Afforded many opportunities for personal growth and development
-Given a great deal of personal responsibility
-Many opportunities to travel
-Great benefits in terms of healthcare, education, etc.

Cons

-Duty station is dependent on needs of the Marine Corps
-Might get sent anywhere in the world on short notice
-On-base housing tends to be less than great

No advice

2299 Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps (View Most Recent)

Life as an Airframe Mech. on CH53E's.

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a great amount of skill including teamwork, attention to detail, work ethic, leadership, independence, and did I mention attention to detail? All of which transfer ESPECIALLY if you honorably discharge first term. You can take some of the things you learn here to great lengths, especially after using that GI Bill (which is awesome).

Cons

Long shifts, strong mental (unreversable) stress, considerably less rights than a civilian counterpart, and very short, if any, lunch breaks.

Your troops come first, ALWAYS.

The Few, The Proud.

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Great Lakes, IL (US)
    Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Great Lakes, IL (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Intensive introductory training builds valuable skills, values, and traditions that you will carry with you for the rest of your life, and believe me, that's a good thing! You will build friendships, acquaintances, and connections that you can and will rely on for the rest of your life. Nothing is more rewarding than being one of the few and the proud to earn the title of US Marine.

Those who have the intestinal fortitude to make it through one or more tours will never, ever regret what they have accomplished. I look back and am still proud of my Marines, and our accomplishments. This is why employers look to Marines first, because they have the skills, willpower, and training to make it through whatever life puts in their path.

The Dress Blue uniform is probably the best and most respected uniform in the entire world.

Cons

It's hard. It's like nothing you've ever experienced in your entire life unless you were a Navy Seal or perhaps an Army Ranger. The basic training for Marines is just about as intense as the advanced training for most other branches of the armed services. If you really want a challenge then once you complete Boot Camp you can try out for Marine Force Recon or Scout Sniper School, both of which are extremely intense and challenging. The flip side of all this difficult and intense training is that it is completely and totally rewarding once you complete it.

I would say that the only advice I can give to management is what I've learned from watching the good, and less good leaders (Officers in this case) in the Marine Corps. I have learned that the most important thing that you can learn from being a leader of Marines is to listen to your senior enlisted, they certainly listen to their junior enlisted, whether they admit it or not.

Those who have been through it time and time again know a LOT more than you think you know out of Officer (or Manager) training. Those who know this simple rule are the best leaders in the world, and it's not just for the Marine Corps. This is not to say that you have to follow everything they say, but when you ask their advice, they will tell you stright up what is the best option.

I've seen it time and time again, whether it be in factories, retail stores, or on the battlefield. Those who don't at least listen to what the boots on the ground have to say are just throwing away a huge advantage, and for no good reason. It never hurts to listen.

There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps