There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting

It's OK, but don't count on your "foot in the door" mattering--you're nothing but a number to those outside your area

Current Employee - Technical Within TS&O in Atlanta, GA (US)
Current Employee - Technical Within TS&O in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Good work/life balance

Average benefits package--the perks that go beyond average are skewed heavily towards those living in Atlanta.

The company puts together really snazzy marketing for employees and employee meetings, etc

Stable work environment in most departments

Management is accessible

Cons

Why are we still using Office software from a decade ago?

There are an abundance of people who do an average job and given the choice will never leave. The problem is these types of people are rarely idea generators and there's so many of them nobody wants to light a spark under anyone's feet.

Those that do go out of their way to improve are not given the credit they deserve and often leave the company for better opportunities elsewhere. Those who do care are often very over-worked and receive little to no formal recognition for going above and beyond.

IT is fragmented because they've compartmentalized every aspect of everyone's job so you only do a small portion. Because of this, very few "out of the box" thinking goes on because everyone's just focused on their aspect, and a lot of proactive activity never happens.

My manager and another manager in my department are incompetent and cover for each other, and they've trained everyone below them to do their entire job so nobody outside notices.

The cafeteria at Techwood has horrible food, and there is only a fast food court at CNNC.

Various departments are very clicky.

Care more about your people.

Give internal candidates who routinely get above average annual reviews high priority for all job openings, stop letting brilliant talent leave because they didn't perfectly fit the mold of the job opening. A good number of the long term employees left are the ones who don't care about improving and are just happy to receive a paycheck. Figure out who cares and who doesn't, and help those who do care advance.

Turner recruiters need to do a better job of working with candidates across geographic locations. They tend to only even respond after you submit to an actual job and find that you are qualified, which is a bit ludicrous. They need to be a resource for current employees not just act as a resume clearinghouse.

Stop asking departments to budget for their capital equipment 4-5 years out, it stomps on innovation (hey accountant: what new model car will you be buying in the year 2017?). It also forces us to buy equipment that we don't really need all because 5 years ago we decided this year would be the year to replace this or that. While you're worrying about who has a text messaging plan at $3/mo on their Blackberry, or who is worthy of the $40/mo data plan for a Blackberry in exchange for an employee slaving after hours reading their email while not at work, I'm installing $90,000 servers that aren't even needed, but if I don't buy them this year I'll not be able to next year.

398 Other Employee Reviews for Turner Broadcasting (View Most Recent)

Friendly atmosphere, but people are clueless, the higher ups are even more clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Good work/life balance. They do have a lot of training programs available which can be beneficial. The atmosphere overall is pleasant and the people are easy going overall.

Cons

In my department only the staff really know what is going on or what they are doing, but not even 100% at that. The further you go up you realize that management has no clue of what those below are doing or if they are even doing things correctly. Hire a lot of external people in higher positions to manage those below, this causes resentment from lower employees and frustration that those above are clueless. I've never been in such an environment where management are only people managers and have no idea the jobs those below are doing.

Promote within and up especially in areas of processes so those people can train new hires who fill the roles of those newly promoted.

Turner is fine as you begin your career BUT I would recommend to leave after a couple of years of experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Some solid journalists, compensation package is okay, a place for entry level folks to get experience quickly and leave for other opportunities

Cons

Mid level management is terrible and doesn't communicate, no room for career growth, not a family oriented atmosphere, human resources not helpful,

The company should really look at mid management and the problems they create and no solutions. Mid management needs alot of training to be effective not only on job but also in communication and employee relations.

There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting