There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting

It's OK, but don't count on your "foot in the door" mattering--you're nothing but a number to those outside your area

Current Employee - Technical Within TS&O  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
Current Employee - Technical Within TS&O in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Good work/life balance

Average benefits package--the perks that go beyond average are skewed heavily towards those living in Atlanta.

The company puts together really snazzy marketing for employees and employee meetings, etc

Stable work environment in most departments

Management is accessible

Cons

Why are we still using Office software from a decade ago?

There are an abundance of people who do an average job and given the choice will never leave. The problem is these types of people are rarely idea generators and there's so many of them nobody wants to light a spark under anyone's feet.

Those that do go out of their way to improve are not given the credit they deserve and often leave the company for better opportunities elsewhere. Those who do care are often very over-worked and receive little to no formal recognition for going above and beyond.

IT is fragmented because they've compartmentalized every aspect of everyone's job so you only do a small portion. Because of this, very few "out of the box" thinking goes on because everyone's just focused on their aspect, and a lot of proactive activity never happens.

My manager and another manager in my department are incompetent and cover for each other, and they've trained everyone below them to do their entire job so nobody outside notices.

The cafeteria at Techwood has horrible food, and there is only a fast food court at CNNC.

Various departments are very clicky.

Care more about your people.

Give internal candidates who routinely get above average annual reviews high priority for all job openings, stop letting brilliant talent leave because they didn't perfectly fit the mold of the job opening. A good number of the long term employees left are the ones who don't care about improving and are just happy to receive a paycheck. Figure out who cares and who doesn't, and help those who do care advance.

Turner recruiters need to do a better job of working with candidates across geographic locations. They tend to only even respond after you submit to an actual job and find that you are qualified, which is a bit ludicrous. They need to be a resource for current employees not just act as a resume clearinghouse.

Stop asking departments to budget for their capital equipment 4-5 years out, it stomps on innovation (hey accountant: what new model car will you be buying in the year 2017?). It also forces us to buy equipment that we don't really need all because 5 years ago we decided this year would be the year to replace this or that. While you're worrying about who has a text messaging plan at $3/mo on their Blackberry, or who is worthy of the $40/mo data plan for a Blackberry in exchange for an employee slaving after hours reading their email while not at work, I'm installing $90,000 servers that aren't even needed, but if I don't buy them this year I'll not be able to next year.

371 Other Employee Reviews for Turner Broadcasting (View Most Recent)

great personal development, great culture, slow to make decisions and respond to change

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

professional. smart. relationship building is a must. best place to work in entertainment (not dealing with big egos like in hollywood). recognition is given for good work. great health benefits. excellent paid time off. extra perks like free tickets to sporting events.

Cons

compensation low. bureaucratic. open to innovation but slow to change. insulated from trends taking place in industry and worldwide. limited diversity but working on it.

hire diverse candidates (backgrounds, experiences, specialties). compensate employees well and develop leaders to be good people managers instead of just managers.

A decent place to work if you aren't in broadcast operations

Current Employee - Broadcast Operations  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Broadcast Operations in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The amount of PTO time is very competetive and the benefits offered are fantastic

Cons

Management in broadcast operations is terrible. They get a couple of people that are qualified to make sure everything runs well and have them do their jobs for them. At the least make them look competent. They keep unqualified management indefintely due to low turn over. The multiple members of Turners broadcast operations management team are not only incompetent they are often unpleasant as well. If you have options I suggest staying far from this department. They give the illusion that there is a positive atmosphere but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Senior level management needs to ask the staff for their honest opinions about the mangement team they work for. The yearly survey needs to break down questions by position instead of lumping together upper management and lower management levels. I may feel like my network VP is doing a good job but that my department manager isn't. It is not an accurate portrayal of how employees feel about their management and work enviroment.

There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting

Worked for Turner Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!