Dishonest, degrading and abrasive management

Current Employee - Director  in  Newton, MA (US)
Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company was better to work for when part of Expedia but there are few pros now.
- If you like travel, it's a fun industry.
- TripAdvisor tries really hard to recruit students and puts their best food forward for the summer interns with fun events and outings. It's a facade and it's not like that for the full time employees.

Cons

- Two thumbs down for senior management who runs the business in an unethical and abrasive manner
- In reality, everyone, from junior to middle to senior management, is simply a puppet of the CEO
- No focus on career development
- Junior staff is cocky and is starting to mirror senior management's style of yelling and degrading others. These are kids who are 0-2 years out of school
- Location. Newton?

Stop pretending to be a small start up company who can move in a quick and agile way. Understand who we've become and where we're going. Also, if you want to hire talented engineers, why would you move further west from Newton? Probably because that's where senior management live. Expect a lot of attrition to happen when the office moves.

Other Reviews for TripAdvisor

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Started when part of Expedia. I loved the benefits and perks. We lost some perks when spinning off from Expedia. When I started, the company was smaller, teams were about 1/3 of the size they are now and I felt as though the treated their employees like gold....with mediocre pay but awesome bonus structure. Snacks, lunches, outings etc are great...but not enough to create career satisfaction.

Cons

Very poor management and very top heavy. "Lead by example" is not something practiced here. Nothing is confidential with your manager or HR. Teams are heavily micro-managed. Individuals who are successful in their positions are encouraged to stay in their position. Management is incredibly short sighted thinking you're best for the company at status quo instead of grooming you for greater things. They have lost many talented people due to this practice. Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management. That being said, promotion from within is incredibly limited especially when considering upward mobility within your own team. Morale is incredibly low. Annual raises are below industry standards and below cost of living adjustments.

Clean house. The idea that you can find better outside the company for positions instead of within your own 4 walls is shortsighted. No one responds to the confidential surveys honestly. My team is "coached" on how to respond...on every survey you send out. Have employees review their managers and their manager's managers in the way they review themselves. Confidentially; and not TA confidentially but truly confidentially.

Less than perfect!

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Bosses are very nice and approachable, compensation balances the work load they are giving. Fun environment and people around

Cons

It gets too silent at most of the times

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!