Thrillist Media Group

www.thrillistmediagroup.com
  www.thrillistmediagroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thrillist Media Group

Not once was there a day I wasn't ecstatic to go to work at Thrillist.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Company Culture, No BS Content, Very Often People Are Promoted

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, so it's starting to get more difficult to keep up with all of your co-workers are.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Thrillist Media Group (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!

I worked at Thrillist Media Group

Pros

This was a great place to work

Cons

Informal Intern Program did not lead to a great amount of skill-honing

Looks like everyone who created a positive review was an intern. Everyone else is right on the money.

Current Employee - Thrillist Slave and Skilled Creative Peon in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun party atmosphere.
    - Free booze everywhere you look.
    - Casual dress code is cool.
    - They pay me on time (sad that I have to consider this a pro, no?)

Cons

- Severely underpaid considering similar roles at competitors, larger companies (obviously) and even at smaller ones.
    - Upper management doesn't care about anyone but themselves and will absolutely take all the credit for your work. In having spoken to other coworkers, this seems to be a common thread across several different departments (especially in the design/product team).
    - As several others have mentioned in previous Glassdoor reviews, people who have been with the company for quite some time ARE cliquey and AREN'T welcoming at all to newer employees...this makes in office happy hours feel uncomfortable and awkward for those of us who have only been here for about 1.5 measly years instead of like 7.
    - Our CEO seems like a nice enough guy who likes to do a lot of pacing back and forth and bark orders at his poor Executive Assistant (or should I say former EA...it was a thankless job I'm sure and his old EA is at a much better place now). I sit on the same floor as him, so trust me on this.
    - Turnover is so ridiculous. Feels as if every single day that I come in, someone is sending out a bittersweet "good bye / last day". It's sad, demotivating and ultimately makes it hard for projects to get done if we're consistently losing good people.
    - Layoffs - every week or every 2 weeks some of the brightest, most talented hard working people are let go and I'm convinced that it's a money situation because it's always the folks who are almost in-line with what they're getting paid...
    - Benefits - we used to have free lunch once a week, this is over because our e-commerce arm is weak and JackThreads isn't hitting the numbers/goals, etc., etc. and we don't have a lot of money to spend on frivolous things like feeding your employees who put in long, 10-12 hour days for little to no recognition. Vacation starts at 2 weeks, I am thankful that my recruiter (who sadly also left and was probably the shining star in our vapid HR dept) was able to get me more, but it's new york city and and we're supposed to be an awesome start-up, 2 weeks vacation simply doesn't cut it.
    - No tuition reimbursement: I should correct this to, No tuition reimbursement if you're not a manager's favorite or a brown-nosing individual with absolutely no self-respect or esteem". Yeah, that's better. No learning and development programs either...would it make sense to invest into your work force so that we can in turn churn out more creative wireframes, copy and better thought out media plans? There isn't any personal growth here, I haven't ever felt challenged and management takes credit for my ideas during our morning stand up meetings. It's very frustrating overall.

Invest in your people.

Teach management to be friendly to new people so that you get employees to last more than 3 months. The work place shouldn't feel like Mean Girls.

Don't expect people to go to company events and then charge them $80 for one ticket to do so.

Buy less alcohol and spend less money on frivolous things that don't help you or us.

Clean the bathroom more on the 5th floor and keep it better stocked with toilet paper.

Give credit where credit is due and pay people better.

There are newer employer reviews for Thrillist Media Group