There are newer employer reviews for Target

It all depends on the supervisors or executives you have

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

looks good on resume and working your way iup

Cons

People you work with sometimes might be difficult. Getting red cards is ridiculous and demanded.

8708 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Greatest place to work in retail

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Target full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast, Fun and Friendly work atmosphere
    Very Team focused
    Supportive learning environment
    Fast paced environment
    Working for a company that serves the communities they operate in

Cons

50-60 hour work weeks
    Demanding retail schedule
    Upper level management passing the buck
    No bonus unless the store scores green in most every department ( therefore the bonus is doubtful)
    Can be paid the same amount of money as someone who works in the distribution center first and transfers. Work at the DC!

Work to be an example of what hard work and dedication looks like.

Friendly workplace for those with OPEN minds

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I have been working at Target part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most reviews will state favoritism and politics, this is incredibly true. For me this is a pro, I was incredibly lucky to have the team I did. I worked with not only my supervising ETL and Team Leads, but I also partnered with my Store Team Lead and District Leader to help facilitate my progress within the company. I left due to schooling, but if I had to give an answer about my time for Target in that store, it would be mostly positive.

There is a absolutely no harassment allowed between team members, with such fast paced and favoritism style, this actually happens more than expected. The execs in the store allowed the situation to be handled briefly and professionally. Target has just as much drama as any other retailer.

Cross training is a big plus, not only will it give you more hours, but it will boost your reputation in ability to handle multiple things at once. If cross trained, expect to be thrown into multiple locations daily. Target has an open door policy, if you want to train somewhere, it's all about asking for it. Those who ended up happiest in their position, were the ones who asked to move somewhere instead of waiting to be moved.

Don't expect to make tons of money, it's above the leading retailers but below what you will actually want. But there is an employee discount and you will always know about things in the store ahead of time.

Cons

Target has a better pay than most, but still is just not enough to survive off of. Those not fit for the company will bring you down, and trust me every store has them.

Keep an eye on the hourly associates, some of them are diamonds in the rough.

There are newer employer reviews for Target