A great career

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Springfield, OR (US)
Former Employee - Associate Manager in Springfield, OR (US)

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Symantec trains and keeps employees up to date on the latest tehnologies. Their beneftit package is the best in the area. The cooperation between departments is an example that most other companies should take a good look at. Being a global company and since the recent merger with Veritas, new standards had to be estalished acodd both companies and the consistancy of delivery to legacy customers had to be maintained. I think management has done a great job n moving forward wih this difficult task and the cooperation of all departments was commendable. Processes still need work to smoth them out, even after a couple of years, but overall it is one of the best places to work in my career.

Cons

They base their pay on the surrounding city labor market and the difference in pay for the same position varies as much as 45% between locations. It's a great theory, but it doesn't cost 45% more to live in the portland area as it does in the Eugene area.

Simplify the processes.

Other Reviews for Symantec

Overall a good experience

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Great Benfits package and compensation is comensurate with experience and results. Your direct manager is always key to your satisfaction and mine has been very effective at working with me and aknowledging accomplishments. The willingness to provide time off as long as you handle your responsibilities is always a plus. Overall an excellent experience.

Cons

As with most companies of its size, Symantec is a political environment and can be somewhat difficult to navigate if you don't know the right people. Since the most recent reduction in force, employee morale has taken a hit and will tak a while to recover.

Basically to begin to provide a comprehensive marketing strategy that brings all of the various products together so we can all speak with one voice on how we provide value o customers.

Do not work here if you have a choice.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Springfield, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, OR (US)

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Was benefits, but those were being trimmed on my way out the door. Nice facilities, but that doesn't go very far.

Cons

Incompetence all over the place. Too much bureaucracy in the company. Poor pay. Best way to get a salary increase is to leave the company and get rehired. Too focused on outsourcing at this point. The Veritas culture took over the company. The Symantec culture was great until the Veritas merger destroyed the "family feel" to the company.

Pay your employees better. Demand more - there are too many people that are doing too little, and when job cuts happen you need to cut them first. Other more competent people are ready to step into their place.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!