There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

A great career

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Springfield, OR (US)
Former Employee - Associate Manager in Springfield, OR (US)

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Symantec trains and keeps employees up to date on the latest tehnologies. Their beneftit package is the best in the area. The cooperation between departments is an example that most other companies should take a good look at. Being a global company and since the recent merger with Veritas, new standards had to be estalished acodd both companies and the consistancy of delivery to legacy customers had to be maintained. I think management has done a great job n moving forward wih this difficult task and the cooperation of all departments was commendable. Processes still need work to smoth them out, even after a couple of years, but overall it is one of the best places to work in my career.

Cons

They base their pay on the surrounding city labor market and the difference in pay for the same position varies as much as 45% between locations. It's a great theory, but it doesn't cost 45% more to live in the portland area as it does in the Eugene area.

Simplify the processes.

1672 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Overall a good experience

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Great Benfits package and compensation is comensurate with experience and results. Your direct manager is always key to your satisfaction and mine has been very effective at working with me and aknowledging accomplishments. The willingness to provide time off as long as you handle your responsibilities is always a plus. Overall an excellent experience.

Cons

As with most companies of its size, Symantec is a political environment and can be somewhat difficult to navigate if you don't know the right people. Since the most recent reduction in force, employee morale has taken a hit and will tak a while to recover.

Basically to begin to provide a comprehensive marketing strategy that brings all of the various products together so we can all speak with one voice on how we provide value o customers.

Hard to build a career here.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Broad product portfolio in the data security and availability space.

Cons

Depending on the department, decisions made for political reasons. Depending on your business unit, continual layoffs due to disinvestment. Continual change in the organization and lack of transparency of other business groups makes it difficult to plan your career while in the company.

Need better information about career paths, and better ability to transfer to different parts of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!