There are newer employer reviews for SunTrust

An aggressive transformation company (trying to)

I have been working at SunTrust as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

company has good benefit programs and enough to keep you busy all the time. Management is corporative most of the time. Reasonably good work life balance.

Cons

Upper management sometimes seems clueless about latest trends, I guess thats why this company is conservative, it can be good thing or bad, depending how you look at it.

Retain your best talent and focus on your strengths, that is the best way out in these times.

799 Other Employee Reviews for SunTrust (View Most Recent)

Financial Service Representative III Personal Banker III

Former Employee - Personal Banker III  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker III in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Domestic Partner Insurance
    100% matching up to 6% of your 401k plan
    The relationships you get to build with your clients is awesome because they become your friend and they trust you.

Cons

- Retail Branch. When you have to work your Saturday, they make you go home early or come in late during the week to allocate your 4 hours to work on Saturday. They don't pay you extra for you to work on Saturday. (extra day to drive into the office more dry cleaning)
    - They make you wear a full suit to a job that does not and will not pay more than 40k a year including commission.
    - The commission is a joke. You will not make 2k a month in commission as promised in interview. More like $200 and that is only if you manipulate the system.
    - They write you up for the smallest things so they can take your $200 commissions away for the next month. Hair cut not to their standards, jacket to keep warm not the style they want.
    - Management is not interested in helping inhouse employees move up the chain, just themselves.
    - Their technology is based on software from the 80s and poorly patched together . So there is no easy intuitive training session. You have to be at the company for at least 2 years to fully understand all the software and backwards ways of having to do stuff.
    -Their customer survey polls are ridiculously hard to maintain as a 10 or a 9. If you get a score of 8 its just like being a 1 so there is no point in trying very hard to get a perfect score.
    - If your branch is short an employee you can not take vacation even if they are a teller and you are a Financial Sales Rep (Personal Banker now)
    -40-50% of your time is as a teller if one calls out because they have skeleton crews.
    - Their raises for your salary were .5% IF you got one.
    - Hitting your goal was not enough. If you hit 100% of your goals, you are equated to doing a good job and on a scale of 1-5 and 5 being the best, you were only a 3.
    - Sales goals were ridiculous and impossible to hit. I was in the top 20% of the company and the top 10% of my region and i was threatened with write ups if my numbers did not improve.
    - They made me work financial events without being paid. My time was volunteered in hopes of being able to get referrals to make commission on Investment Referrals. those were worth trying to go after.
    - Not working the events was heavily frowned upon and you were made to feel like you were not a part of the team.
    -Management is given the same ridiculous goals so they are always down your throat to hit your goals.
    - If another branch is short a person and you are requested to work at their branch, your sales at there branch did not count for your home branch so they would not go towards your personal goals, just your commissions, so you could sell the WORLD and get paid, but you would not see that sale as part of your home branch goal so if it was a big hit that would over shoot you on your personal Goal, you would not get it.
    - You are required to have a log for EVERYTHING you do. Log your phone calls, log your clients coming in, log why you were not able to sell them a Credit Card, a Mortgage, a new checking account, or safe deposit box. Logging everything you do takes time away from your sales, start automating things.
    - No Holiday parties at all unless we paid for it ourselves.
    -No attempt to make you feel appreciated by doing a luncheon for us for hitting goals.
    - No team building exercises.
    - Upper management did not listen to employees concerns about the debit card fee that they tried to charge a few years ago. Staff had no problem with all the other fees that SunTrust was going to charge, but explaining to the client why they were to be charged a debit card fee was horrific. Corporate even came out with these videos showing bankers talking to actor clients. The actor client, after being explained why the fee was being charged, were then instantly satisfied with paying the fee. We knew this was not going to be the case and they flipped! Upper management finally listened after a slew of complaints came across the national news about this fee.

Lighten up on your staff and dont pressure them into their sales. If you were paying HUGE commissions, then yes, you can treat employees the way you treat them. Getting someones entire relationship in one sitting is near impossible even if you go that "extra degree" that you love to propose at every sales meeting. Have Career Development meetings with your staff not annual reviews that bash why you are a bad employee even though your numbers show different. I was always told, yes, you are good in your region and your area, but look at the Entire SunTrust footprint. You are not even in the top 50%. Well, In my market and in my region, I was good. Im not in the other markets so you can not compare me to them when im looking for my raises and career development.
    Have team building exercises, have holiday parties, make your staff feel appreciated.

Nice regional bank to work for.

Current Employee - Personal Financial Representative  in  Gainesville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Financial Representative in Gainesville, FL (US)

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some good people work for SunTrust.

Cons

Lower salaries compared to competitors.

There are newer employer reviews for SunTrust

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!