Sun Life

www.sunlife.com

SLF in brief

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative  in  Montreal, QC
Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Montreal, QC

Pros

Loads of oppertunities, interesting products. Finance industry.
Possibility of working form home easily.

Cons

Only 2 weeks vacation, some companies (BCE) offer 3 weeks the first year with possibility of purchasing an extra week with HSA flex credits, for a total of 4 weeks vacation after a year.

Offer purchase of an extra week vacation with HSA credits. Some people dont get massages, and stuff like that... they rather have some extra time off. Time is priceless.

Other reviews for Sun Life

I play in the spaces between images and words...

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer  in  Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Waterloo, ON

Pros

At Sun Life Financial, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement.

Cons

I've had an amazing experience with Sun Life for the past 25 years and can't complain.

Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
    - Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
       1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
       2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
       3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
    - If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
    - There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
    - Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
    - Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!