There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

3 year downhill stumble that ends in 800 layoffs

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA (US)
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA (US)

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Fair benefits though they got cut back over the years. Good work life balance for most

Cons

Bad career development. Spent way too much on sales and sponsorships. HR department goes by the book when it benefits them but makes excuses when it doesn't. Badly run and now employees not involved in the decisions are paying for it. Employees that survive the layoff, including the new college leadership people, should take note and get out quick as it will get worse.

Accept the blame for your bad decisions, get rid of senior managers who killed the business, and use the money saved to give more to the people you are throwing out on the street, they deserve it more

299 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Very misleading career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Flexible Schedule.
    Good entry level if you are new to the industry.

Cons

It's really interesting to see the views from the other side of the table. I work for Sunlife on the sales force team both as a financial advisor and before that as a Sales Manager. This company, although they try to appear as they are ethical, they are a wolf in sheep's clothing. They will lie about anything in order to decieve people into joing their offices. I have stayed quiet all too long and really need to get this off my chest. They are one of the cheapest companies I have ever experienced and even though they claim to pay high commissions, they only pay on their system that keeps an advisor in the highest productivity while drawing away from any type of social and family life in order to maintain this productivity. They even train you to incorporate business talk into all of you social networks. I don't think they understand that sometimes you want to talk to your friends over drinks without bringing up sunlife! Another reason why this company is so unethical is that they make the advisor pay rent for the office, internet use, telephone use, and for any type of office supply. They even make you pay for your benefits. How sick is this! That a group coverage provider makes their own advisor pay for a group plan that you can not opt out off which generally cost 400+ depending whether your single or with a family. The last straw for myself was the fact that I had to pay $200 in order to go to the company christmas party. What kind of legit organization makes you pay for a company christmas party! I don't even celebrate christmas! When I first joined Sunlife, they keep reminding you that the high turnover rate is because people are lazy and do not have good work ethic, however now I know why individuals tend to leave. You can only allow yourself to get screwed for so long. I have done extremely well when I first started as a Advisor, attending their conventions, making all the campaigns, but now I look back and realize how much money I have hemerged out into this business in terms of prospecting and business expenses. I would have done things very differently many years ago and would have never joined this immoral, unethical company who lies, cheats, and steals from the people who place faith in them. For anyone looking at a career with Sunlife as an Advisor and you happen to be reading this, please don't believe everything they say, they might look the part however their whole goal and pay structure is to bring you in and make you sell insurance. Although they say they are holistic, the pay structure is concentrated on insurance, management gets paid very little on investement, mainly on insurance and mainly on advisor less than 2 years in the business. If you have a university degree, don't waste it here. They reward the quantity unethical salesman, not the quality ethical financail advisor. I will be leaving Sun Life, and this is one experience I would love to forgot.

There is no such thing as Management, mainly they are all Recruiters!!!
    Sunlife has destroyed a once good organization

Not the place it used to be

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The work/life balance and benefits were good. There was a pension plan and generous 401K, plenty of vacation time and flexible work schedules, nice coworkers

Cons

No career progression, rampant favoritism where promotions and raises are only given to those put on the fast track and not based on actual skills, women are definitely treated differently here, unprofessional work environment. When I started a few years ago, this was a fun and positive place to be. Since the senior management changed and they hired the Lincoln people, things have gone downhill fast. This is not a place to work if you are looking for career development since there is no training given or opportunities like those given to those in the RDLP program for recent college graduates. It's no wonder most of my coworkers are looking for new jobs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked, and miserable.

Take a good look at the turnover and staffing levels. Sometime clearly needs to change and nothing has been done despite the satisfaction surveys. And I question the results, since you claim employees feel engaged. I'm sorry but I don't see anyone engages except those moved to better positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life