Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com

Great Experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Tampa, FL (US)
Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

Pros

Full benefits on day 1. I got the salary I asked for. I have a 5 day work week and If I pick up any extra shifts I get paid for those days on top of my salary. Bonus is easily achievable. Im very pleased to be working there!

Cons

Insurance is ok but could be better. I have great hourly employees who have poor benefits and absolutely no raises in pay regardless of tenure.

Other reviews for Steak n Shake

Very humiliating experience, worst restaurant job I ever had

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

Pros

Crew cared for each other like family
    Pay was good.
    Food was free for managers
    Promoted very quickly into general manager position

Cons

Very intimidating style of management, job threatened dailly. Micromanagemet from top down was intense. Always find a way to cheat you out of your bonus. Changed bonus structure every six months. No support from District Managers, if you were short management expected to work extra days to cover. No balance of home life and work. 60+ hours a week expected, work every Friday and Saturday nights, work every Sunday only can be off one of these days with DM approval.

Let your managers due there job without telling them they are replace able. Give back to the associates the benefits that were taken away to make more money for SNS

Horrible, Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Toledo, OH (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Toledo, OH (US)

Pros

- Some good employees and managers
    - Decent quality food for a reasonable price

Cons

Ridiculous amount of paperwork, long hours with little to no respect from the incompetent upper management team,
    Customer satisfaction system where you're guilty until proven innocent, the most insane management style I have seen in over 20 years of restaurant management experience
    Bonus system targets are almost impossible to reach, high turnover of managers (that's if they can even get managers)
    Work at least 70 hours a week and management expectation is that you're available even on vacations and days off
    I could go on and on, but recommend anyone considerating working at Steak N Shake to look at other alternatives unless your completely desperate

What a joke of management style. Only thing this management cares about is reaching their numbers so they can fill their pockets with bonuses, no respect or care for the team which makes it all possible from them to even get a bonus. Good luck to anyone even considering working at Steak N Shake as a GM.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake.

Worked for Steak n Shake? Contribute to the Community!