There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Good place to gain experience or retire!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at State Street full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good entry level place to get experience. Good place to retire if you have no ambition and don't care about career growth.

Cons

Salary increases are pathetic. No opportunities for growth. Management is always looking to give you a rating of 3 or less so they can avoid paying you a decent compensation increase. If you are liked by your manager, you get flexible work at home. If you not liked by management, you have to come to work.
Like to outsource to India, then hire the FTE's back as temp assignments at lower pay and no benefits when outsourcing fails! Pathetic...

Advice to Management

How's outsourcing to India going? Guess you got your fat bonuses eh? Can't believe PIMCO is paying for this pathetic mess.

reviews filtered by

Conservative and Complacent

Former Intern - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Intern - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The SSGS team is very kind. Personally, I received a good amount of work that really added value. I felt as though I was a valuable part of the team and that I wasn't just being paid to sit and twiddle my thumbs. Most of my other intern friends can't say the same. The atmosphere is really relaxed, and my team was very helpful.

Cons

As a whole, I got the feeling that although State Street wants to become a more innovative company, its culture is still very conservative. Its younger crowd is ready for change, but it seems the older generation is very complacent with old processes because they work. It is recognized that there is an obvious need for change and modernization to keep up with the moving market, but the main problem standing in the way of improvement is the acknowledgement that there are many barriers, and the cautionary steps taken rather than the determination to move forward despite all obstacles.

Advice to Management

I think you should listen to the new recruits more. Recent graduates are taking many courses that can really add value in regards to a fast growing, changing market. Just because it works, doesn't mean it can't be better. Strive for better and faster.

2. Good benefits but not a dynamic organization

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Global organization; Some opportunity for advancement in certain areas of the company although many areas are stagnant and are cutting positions. Good flex opportunities and work/life balance

Cons

Low salary for Financial Services; Not much room for upward mobility for middle or upper management personnel

Advice to Management

Need to better develop middle management and create more opportunities for future leaders in the company