There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Conservative and Complacent

Former Employee - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA (US)
Former Employee - Global Services Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The SSGS team is very kind. Personally, I received a good amount of work that really added value. I felt as though I was a valuable part of the team and that I wasn't just being paid to sit and twiddle my thumbs. Most of my other intern friends can't say the same. The atmosphere is really relaxed, and my team was very helpful.

Cons

As a whole, I got the feeling that although State Street wants to become a more innovative company, its culture is still very conservative. Its younger crowd is ready for change, but it seems the older generation is very complacent with old processes because they work. It is recognized that there is an obvious need for change and modernization to keep up with the moving market, but the main problem standing in the way of improvement is the acknowledgement that there are many barriers, and the cautionary steps taken rather than the determination to move forward despite all obstacles.

I think you should listen to the new recruits more. Recent graduates are taking many courses that can really add value in regards to a fast growing, changing market. Just because it works, doesn't mean it can't be better. Strive for better and faster.

1325 Other Employee Reviews for State Street (View Most Recent)

Good benefits but not a dynamic organization

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Global organization; Some opportunity for advancement in certain areas of the company although many areas are stagnant and are cutting positions. Good flex opportunities and work/life balance

Cons

Low salary for Financial Services; Not much room for upward mobility for middle or upper management personnel

Need to better develop middle management and create more opportunities for future leaders in the company

It was a good learning experience but the management doesnt really help you along. You need to be a self starter.

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are nice managers and friendly coworkers.

Cons

repetitive work, low entry level pay

Be mroe proactive and hands on with employees

There are newer employer reviews for State Street